Votes: 91 64.5%
  • I disagree (list reason)

Votes: 50 35.5%
1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to see who else out there thinks that the ZR1 is a better car than the GTR.

My reasoning:

• It has a more reliable powerplant
  • Better transmission
  • Still can be daily driven
  • It beat the Carerra GT around the 'ring (which beat the GTR around the 'ring)
  • Is the best looking vette since the split-window
  • Didn't cost much more than what dealerships were charging for the GTR

Pics:

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
I don't know how a corvette can be driven as a DD but a nissan can't be..

However, i agree to the statement, since the GTR trans problem are a nightmare currently, Nissan was evil about it asking people not to use a big feature "launch control" even though it's just a base thing in modern sports car and the vete looks like it would be more worth the money than the GTR.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Whoa Whoa Whoa, wait a second there Mr. Mikey. The ZR-1 is a better daily driver than a GT-R? The Z06 is more harsh than the GT-R and the Zr-1 is more harsh than the Z06, so lets set that straight for the record. What they cost now? Right now they are both going for MSRP which is roughly a 40 grand difference, they aren't even in the same price range league.

The ZR-1 is faster around the 'ring, yes, and I would hope so considering it has over 130hp more than the GT-R and it's roughly 600 lbs lighter than the GT-R.

Is the ZR-1 overall a better vehicle than the GT-R? Well that would depend on if you like video game electronics, preference of style, need for AWD. Is the ZR-1 a better performance vehicle than the GT-R? Yes, but it's also 40 grand more.

Also, Nissan has been going back to the drawing boards with the transmission, so i've heard.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not saying that the GTR can't be driven d/d, I'm just saying that the ZR1 could be driven as a d/d more reliably given that the GTR is TT and has transmission issues while the ZR1 is supercharged and has no trans issues (that have surfaced yet).

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa Whoa Whoa, wait a second there Mr. Mikey. The ZR-1 is a better daily driver than a GT-R? The Z06 is more harsh than the GT-R and the Zr-1 is more harsh than the Z06, so lets set that straight for the record. What they cost now? Right now they are both going for MSRP which is roughly a 40 grand difference, they aren't even in the same price range league.

The ZR-1 is faster around the 'ring, yes, and I would hope so considering it has over 130hp more than the GT-R and it's roughly 600 lbs lighter than the GT-R.

Is the ZR-1 overall a better vehicle than the GT-R? Well that would depend on if you like video game electronics, preference of style, need for AWD. Is the ZR-1 a better performance vehicle than the GT-R? Yes, but it's also 40 grand more.

Also, Nissan has been going back to the drawing boards with the transmission, so i've heard.
Like I said CowboyFan69, I didn't say that the GTR can't be daily driven, I just said that the ZR1 Can.

My issue isn't that the GTR isn't a good car or something, it's that the ZR1 doesn't get the credit that it deserves. It is, by far, the best car that you can buy for that price or anywhere near as far as performance is concerned.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Like I said CowboyFan69, I didn't say that the GTR can't be daily driven, I just said that the ZR1 Can.

My issue isn't that the GTR isn't a good car or something, it's that the ZR1 doesn't get the credit that it deserves. It is, by far, the best car that you can buy for that price or anywhere near as far as performance is concerned.
But you said it like the GT-R can't be daily driven. The reason the GT-R blew up is because of it's power to weight ratio it's performance is nearly unreal and it's Nissan's first real "supercar" available to the public. Kind of like if Hyundai came out with something with GT-R performance, it would've been blown up as well. It's not "amazing" what the ZR-1 can do, i'm sorry.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But you said it like the GT-R can't be daily driven. The reason the GT-R blew up is because of it's power to weight ratio it's performance is nearly unreal and it's Nissan's first real "supercar" available to the public. Kind of like if Hyundai came out with something with GT-R performance, it would've been blown up as well. It's not "amazing" what the ZR-1 can do, i'm sorry.
Show me where I said that the GTR can't be daily driven.

Go ahead, I'll wait...

Done looking? I never said that the GTR couldn't be daily driven nor would I say that. That's one of the main things that makes the GTR such a great supercar, it can be daily driven or raced at the track. If it weren't for the trans issues (and the IMO false advertising) I would be a huge GTR fan. I mean c'mon, you know that I'm a huge Nissan fan..

BTW, how is the performance of the ZR1 not amazing? A list of the only cars that posted a faster time around the ring:

• Viper SRT-10 ACR
  • Maserati MC12
  • Pagani Zonda F Clubsport
  • Ferrari Enzo

Cars that it beat:

• Porsche Carrera GT
  • Nissan GTR
  • Porsche GT2
  • Koenigsegg CCX and CCR
  • Porsche 911 turbo
  • Ferrari F430 Scuderia

How is that not amazing?! The only car that comes close to it is the GTR as far as performance for the dollar, and the GTR is now famous for its trans problems..

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Performance All Around ---> ZR1

Looks ---> GTR

Easier for anyone/everyone in your family to drive ---> GTR

Price ---> GTR

Value 5-10years from now ---> ZR1

Repair Costs ---> GTR (more ppl tune and are working on GTR's and modding them than the ZR1)

Head Turn Factor ---> Either Car. The GTR's lost its "luster" at a stop light, but the ZR1 looks like a nicely body kitted Z06, nothing more.

Which Would I prefer ---> GTR

Community of Owners ---> ZR1 (all corvette owners wave to and respect eachother from new models to old ones) when you buy a corvette, it's like buying a harley. You're buying not only a car, but into a community.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Show me where I said that the GTR can't be daily driven.

Go ahead, I'll wait...

Done looking? I never said that the GTR couldn't be daily driven nor would I say that. That's one of the main things that makes the GTR such a great supercar, it can be daily driven or raced at the track. If it weren't for the trans issues (and the IMO false advertising) I would be a huge GTR fan. I mean c'mon, you know that I'm a huge Nissan fan..

BTW, how is the performance of the ZR1 not amazing? A list of the only cars that posted a faster time around the ring:

• Viper SRT-10 ACR
  • Maserati MC12
  • Pagani Zonda F Clubsport
  • Ferrari Enzo

Cars that it beat:

• Porsche Carrera GT
  • Nissan GTR
  • Porsche GT2
  • Koenigsegg CCX and CCR
  • Porsche 911 turbo
  • Ferrari F430 Scuderia

How is that not amazing?! The only car that comes close to it is the GTR as far as performance for the dollar, and the GTR is now famous for its trans problems..
Like I said, the way you worded it and set it up, using a comparison based note taking set-up it seemed as if you were implying that the GT-R can't be a daily driver. The reason I said the ZR-1's performance isn't amazing because we all know what the Z06 can do so add some suspension tweaks, 110 more hp, and about the same weight I would expect it to do what it does. Noone expected the GT-R to do what it can, that's why it was so talked about.

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Its gotta be the ZR1. I would not be interested in either for me personally. I would much rather have a GT3 even if it is slower. But im a sucker for NA, which is why I bought my Si.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Performance All Around ---> ZR1

Looks ---> GTR

Easier for anyone/everyone in your family to drive ---> GTR

Price ---> GTR

Value 5-10years from now ---> ZR1

Repair Costs ---> GTR (more ppl tune and are working on GTR's and modding them than the ZR1)

Head Turn Factor ---> Either Car. The GTR's lost its "luster" at a stop light, but the ZR1 looks like a nicely body kitted Z06, nothing more.

Which Would I prefer ---> GTR

Community of Owners ---> ZR1 (all corvette owners wave to and respect eachother from new models to old ones) when you buy a corvette, it's like buying a harley. You're buying not only a car, but into a community.

Would the repair costs really be cheaper on a GTR? I mean, the ZR1 uses an LS v8 so I would think that parts would be easier and cheaper to come by. Idk though, never looked into it.

Good post nonetheless. :thumb:

Like I said, the way you worded it and set it up, using a comparison based note taking set-up it seemed as if you were implying that the GT-R can't be a daily driver. The reason I said the ZR-1's performance isn't amazing because we all know what the Z06 can do so add some suspension tweaks, 110 more hp, and about the same weight I would expect it to do what it does. Noone expected the GT-R to do what it can, that's why it was so talked about.
I apologize. Let me clarify: I never meant to make it sound as if the GTR can't be daily driven, rather I was saying that I think that it's great that a car with such awesome performance can be driven without issue.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Sorry I would Give 2 ZR1's for 1 GTR ..

Its so much sexier.. I dont care for the performance ..
I drive an american car now but
Nissan > Chevy
I also think the GTR will last longer..
Just my .02

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
gtr..the only downside is its tranny for me, but if i had it i wouldnt abuse it every day by launching the Sh!t out of it. So what if it would loose to a zr1 in a straight line, life continues after the quarter mile

zr1... to much power to dd. Probably not as comfortable or refined as a gtr. I had the chance to take a ride in a 07 Z06 and it was pretty damn harsh.. multiply that by XXX,XXX,XXX and eh..

GTR FTMFW

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
Question....I know alot of manufactures are starting to use the "Ring" as a benchmark but...Why do we care?Is the ring any indication of how any of these cars perform on tracks in America,on normal streets or anywhere else BUT one famous German test track? I'm not very fsmilar with the ring in any configuration but it seems that track rewards cars that can achieve higher top speeds while maintaining decent cornering.I maybe considered one of the fanboi types but this is something to consider too,the corvette has always been here where as the GTR is like a virgin model to us.And it's legacy is just as successful as the Corvette in competition.The only real problem thus far has been a weak transmission.That issue fixed what the GTR would really need to be competitive is stickier tires and a minor bump in power.Still cheaper than all of the cars in it's class.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^Yeah, ahaha.. I started this thread early this morning after a long night of not much sleep. I didn't really think it through. :iorun:

Moving it now.

Sorry I would Give 2 ZR1's for 1 GTR ..

Its so much sexier.. I dont care for the performance ..
I drive an american car now but
Nissan > Chevy
I also think the GTR will last longer..
Just my .02
I'd agree that Nissan is better than GM, but I highly doubt that the GTR will last longer than a ZR1. The LS series of motors from GM is arguably the best series of V8's in the world. They're reliable and can handle absurd amounts of power before failing. It's pretty common (once you start getting into insane HP/TQ figures) for the driveshaft to fail before the engine/transmission will.

gtr..the only downside is its tranny for me, but if i had it i wouldnt abuse it every day by launching the Sh!t out of it. So what if it would loose to a zr1 in a straight line, life continues after the quarter mile

zr1... to much power to dd. Probably not as comfortable or refined as a gtr. I had the chance to take a ride in a 07 Z06 and it was pretty damn harsh.. multiply that by XXX,XXX,XXX and eh..

GTR FTMFW
The bolded statement is very true, but holds no value in this argument since the ZR1 can handle almost as well as the GTR but still beat it around the track due to its power.

Also, Jeremy Clarkson loved d/ding the ZR1. If I'm not mistaken he said something to the effect of "It's insane how a car so gentle and docile as this can be so brutal."

Question....I know alot of manufactures are starting to use the "Ring" as a benchmark but...Why do we care?Is the ring any indication of how any of these cars perform on tracks in America,on normal streets or anywhere else BUT one famous German test track? I'm not very fsmilar with the ring in any configuration but it seems that track rewards cars that can achieve higher top speeds while maintaining decent cornering.I maybe considered one of the fanboi types but this is something to consider too,the corvette has always been here where as the GTR is like a virgin model to us.And it's legacy is just as successful as the Corvette in competition.The only real problem thus far has been a weak transmission.That issue fixed what the GTR would really need to be competitive is stickier tires and a minor bump in power.Still cheaper than all of the cars in it's class.
The reason that most companies/enthusiasts use Nurburgring as a benchmark is because it takes a well designed car to perform there. It takes power as well as handling. There's a ridiculously long straight, shorter straights, and many corners. This means that if a car can do well on the ring it will likely do well on just about any track in the world. Will it do as well? Depends on the track. If the track had more corners and only 1 straight then I'm sure that the GTR would beat the ZR1, but if the track had a 50/50 balance (or so) of curves and straights the ZR1 would probably beat the GTR every time.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My vote is on the ZR1 cause I'm all about performance. By the videos I've seen it pulling on the GTR, It's Fudging AMAZING! So much Power.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts