8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
How do you deal with people who give you an attitude for no apparent reason? Do you do things to people's food drink when you know your not getting a tip?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pockings said:
Just what percentage of tip do I have to give so the next time you won't spit on my food? :laughing:
Deedle said:
whats considered a "good tip", "average tip" and the "expected tip"
Hehe... I always remember and appreciate customers who tip 20% and up.
15% is standard and acceptable.
10% is cheap and anything below is "I hope that food you just ate makes you sick."

·
Tuna Fiddle
19,256 Posts
Ok I am a good tipper. So much that even if I get just ok service I still leave at least 15%. So it takes alot for me to not leave a good tip. Why do waiters have such a hard time figuring out why they got a crappy tip after they screw up orders, forget drinks, and don't come back to your table for the whole meal? I heard one guy cussing about us after we left 15%. he never came back to the table once for the whole meal. All he did was take our orders.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way2Short said:
How do you deal with people who give you an attitude for no apparent reason? Do you do things to people's food drink when you know your not getting a tip?

We are supposed to deal with them the same as the nicest, most outgoing customers... we (waiters) just think it's funny, go into the server alley and talk about them, then hold low expectations from them.

I, personally, do not put foreign objects into people's food and/or drink, however, I do know people that have.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
AbstraKt said:
We are supposed to deal with them the same as the nicest, most outgoing customers... we (waiters) just think it's funny, go into the server alley and talk about them, then hold low expectations from them.

I, personally, do not put foreign objects into people's food and/or drink, however, I do know people that have.
ah good answer i was bout to ask the same question i guess it vary's from person to person, and their temper.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
twistedframe said:
Ok I am a good tipper. So much that even if I get just ok service I still leave at least 15%. So it takes alot for me to not leave a good tip. Why do waiters have such a hard time figuring out why they got a crappy tip after they screw up orders, forget drinks, and don't come back to your table for the whole meal? I heard one guy cussing about us after we left 15%. he never came back to the table once for the whole meal. All he did was take our orders.
Well, 15% is standard, in good and bad service. It's like this: when people go out to eat, they pay for food, however, when they want service (unlike McDonald's or Wendy's) they are expected to pay for service, good or bad. It is completely understandable to tip low when things get messed up within the waiter's capacity. If the cooks/chefs mess anything up it is not the waiter's fault as he/she does not prepare the food itself. You are in the right to tip 15%, however, I think most waiters nowadays feel the new standard is 20%.

If it's one thing I hate most, it's people that come to the restaurant that can afford to eat, but cannot afford to eat out.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I just hate people who are nice and polite but end up not tiping a dime. I just hope for a couple of bucks and sometimes even a dollar. It's things like this that makes me want to quit my job but sometimes I make good money. Yes, sometimes I forget drinks and I have to ask again but hey, atleast I know that I sound dumb when I ask again.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
From the customer's standpoint, for the most part, the overall experience is going to dictate at least part of the tip. As a customer I don't care who messes up my meal (chef, cook, server, waiter, runner, etc.), but if something is delayed, incorrect, slow, prepared wrong, etc. at any point along the way it is going to show in the tip.

On the other hand, excellence in service should be rewarded and I do 'reward' such service in terms of both the amount left (with percentages MUCH higher than those listed, as well as direct tips to staff who have gone 'above and beyond'), as well as having a word with a manager to let them now about my appreciation for a quality server, etc. Such service will often get me to return to a particular server's section in the future, again ensuring higher than 'normal' tips. I have a particular 'wait team' here at Emeril's at the MGM who I request each time and the whole team gets a very large tip for the excellence in service that they show each and every time I go. This team goes above and beyond in service, attitude, presentation, and just making you feel welcome and valued as a customer.

I eat well, and I can certainly tip well, but just because you plop food down in front of me is not going to get you your 20%...do it right, do it well and you will be rewarded well.

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
I was a server for a few years. I have realistically only F'ed with someones food one time. This woman was asking for iced tea, I brought it out....unsweetened being that there are sugar and sweetners on the table. She was adament about having the tea sweetened while it was warm because the sugar would not dissolve well enough if it was cold and had ice in it already..... So back I went, got some warm tea, had her add her sweetner herself, then I went back for Ice. Got the ice and brought it back with a lemon on the rim. She was still not happy. She asked if I could take it back, squeeze the lemon into the ice, then pour the tea over the ice with the lemon already squeezed and in the ice. Sooo.......I brought it back to the kitchen, got some new ice, put in the lemon, put in the tea....and Stirred!!!! You can probably guess what I chose as my stirrer. It made it all worth it when I brought it back and diddnt even get a thank you. She did tip 5$ on a $40 check though.....

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
07BlakBlak said:
So back I went, got some warm tea, had her add her sweetner herself, then I went back for Ice. Got the ice and brought it back with a lemon on the rim. She was still not happy. She asked if I could take it back, squeeze the lemon into the ice, then pour the tea over the ice with the lemon already squeezed and in the ice. Sooo.......I brought it back to the kitchen, got some new ice, put in the lemon, put in the tea....and Stirred!!!!
Just for reference, I would never ask such foolishness from anyone waiting on me. Some people have issues.

Frankly, I have even been out with some folks who made me very uncomfortable to be at the table with. An 'associate' who wanted his food HOT, and I mean HOT. Demanded the food go back multiple times, talked to manager. I have no idea (and frankly did not want to know) what the issue was, the food looked steamy hot to me. I was just embarrased to be at the table with him and, frankly, did not want the wait staff to associate me with him as I frequent that establishment fairly regularly.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
07BlakBlak said:
I was a server for a few years. I have realistically only F'ed with someones food one time. This woman was asking for iced tea, I brought it out....unsweetened being that there are sugar and sweetners on the table. She was adament about having the tea sweetened while it was warm because the sugar would not dissolve well enough if it was cold and had ice in it already..... So back I went, got some warm tea, had her add her sweetner herself, then I went back for Ice. Got the ice and brought it back with a lemon on the rim. She was still not happy. She asked if I could take it back, squeeze the lemon into the ice, then pour the tea over the ice with the lemon already squeezed and in the ice. Sooo.......I brought it back to the kitchen, got some new ice, put in the lemon, put in the tea....and Stirred!!!! You can probably guess what I chose as my stirrer. It made it all worth it when I brought it back and diddnt even get a thank you. She did tip 5$ on a $40 check though.....
All that for a 12% tip :sadwavy:

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
The way me and the people i work with is double the tax is acceptable, i guess the minimum we expect, 10% is low, although sometimes (depending on the people) it's pretty good. I believe the tip should be at least 15%, unless your experience was horrible, then you can leave less than that, but sometimes it's not the servers fault, we're in the kitchen waiting for your food just like you're in your table waiting for it, the last thing we want is to hold your food back because that means we're gonna get less of a tip and we're keeping you in the restaurant for longer, which means we won't get to have as many tables as someone that gets them in and out. Also, some customers don't understand that we not only have them, we have at least 2 more tables that we have to take care of, and we can't be on top of you the whole time you're there. Refills might take a bit, things that you ask might take a bit, and it's not because we don't like you, it's because we have other people that we have to serve and we want a good tip from them too. Me personally i try my best to keep my guests happy as well as maintain a conversation with them, help them decide on the food or give them a few tips on how to warm the food once they get home. There's no better feeling than having a guest compliment your service and let your boss know, as well as getting a good tip from them, and usually those guests will be back and will request you as a their server.
On the other hand, where i work (no racism) we do profile people. Mostly african-americans and hispanics. They usually tend to tip low (10% or less) and most of the time they even compliment your service, so i don't know what's wrong, maybe they don't know how to tip or don't feel like a big tip is necessary. But between them there's a huge difference. Usually hispanics tend to be nicer, more polite, establish a conversation with you, and they can be great customers, the only downside to that is that you think that they will leave you a good tip and when you check it, 10% or less...NOT GOOD. As far as african-americans go, they tend to ask for tons of refills, make you go up and down for more ketchup, napkins, etc., don't want to talk to you, and they think they own the place, like you have to treat them like royalty.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts