8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been posting my thoughts, both positive and negative, about my new LX Coupe and my intentions to compete nationally in H Stock (I've been competing in the SCCA's Solo program since 1994).

One of the things I have been pushing for is shocks as they are the only true tuning tool I have now that I am in Stock again.

SCCA Stock class allowable mods (in a very simpllified nutshell):

*Shocks

*Front sway bar

*Wheels of the same size with 6 mm offset allowance

*Exhaust from the cat-back

*Drop in air filter element

*Any alignment, but camber must stay within factory-specified specs

I would like for someone to be able to tell me is the OEM spring rate for the DX,LX, or EX. If this isn't possible, then the Si will do. See, if the Si rates are given, I can just deduct 17% from the fronts and 14-15% for the rears and I'll have the rates on my LX.

Anyway, here's two shots... These were taken at the end of the 2005 season. The car is in as-delivered condition meaning there were no race shocks, no R-compound race rubber, no race alignment, and no real data compiled by me yet. The body roll proves to all you non-autocrossers, that a "sporty" car on the street doesn't necessarily translate into a good "race car".

http://tinypic.com/i6y32r.jpg

http://tinypic.com/i6y3bo.jpg

I will be very aggressive in my quest to win, or at least trophy, at the two National-level Solo events being held in the Northeast in June, 2006 and hopefully culminating in trophying in Topeka, KS at the National Championships in September.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I'm still looking

I see the tein aftermarket spings for the SI are 340/390 front/rear.

I'll continue to look.

Civic Coupe Exclusive Suspension Tuning

To achieve sport coupe performance, the Civic Coupe has the following exclusive suspension tuning compared to the 2006 Civic Sedan:

* Front spring rate increases 20 percent
* Rear spring rate increases 28 percent
* Sport tuned front and rear damper settings
* Solid front 25.4 x 3.5 mm tubular stabilizer bar (up from 24.2 x 3.0 mm)
* Solid rear 11.0 mm stabilizer bar (up from 10.0 mm)

Civic Si Exclusive Suspension Tuning

To achieve razor-like performance, the Civic Si has the following exclusive suspension tuning compared to the 2006 Civic Coupe:

* Front spring rate increases 17 percent
* Rear spring rate increases 14 percent
* Track tuned front and rear damper settings
* Solid front 28.0 mm stabilizer bar (up from 25.4 mm tubular)
* Solid rear 17.0 mm stabilizer bar (up from 11.0 mm)
* Heavy duty front wheel hub and bearings
* Heavy duty front and rear lower control arms

·
Registered
18 Posts
Si in competition

I just posted a reply in "Race-Related" but thought a few more folks might be interested in how well the new Civic performs. The Thunderhill event just concluded last weekend and had 58 cars competing. There were two new Si's entered - primarily driven by Honda engineers and a couple of automotive journalists. The Civics took 1st and 2nd in their class but, more impressive, they finished 4th and 6th in the overall standings. A fairly time-consuming brake repair prevented one of them from finishing even higher. The competition consisted of some very radical rides. Looks like the 8th gen Civic is a winner right out of the box, huh? More info can be had at the Car and Driver Magazine website.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i read somewhere that the Si wont be that good in autox due to the fact it needs to shift into 3rd for 60mph. People still say he integra typeR is the best there is... or the Mini =\

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kabs said:
i read somewhere that the Si wont be that good in autox due to the fact it needs to shift into 3rd for 60mph. People still say he integra typeR is the best there is... or the Mini =\

Wait WTF..... it says Rutgers.edu on those pics....
IM AT RUTGERS! =P

OK let me educate you guys... The 2006 Civic Si is in G Stock where it (as of right now) will be competing against the Cooper S with the factory LSD option. That car dominated the class in 2005. Should the Si do a little too well there, it may be moved to D Stock where it will go against the ITR and 330 BMW's... The SCCA is basically putting the car in a 12 month trial period in GS so that may not be its permanent home.

Yes, the car needs third to hit 60 and that will give it a disadvantage on larger local courses and especially national level courses...

Hence why I bought the LX and with the money I saved in the process have race wheels, Kumho V710 race rubber, and as you've been seeing... The custom Koni's (eventually).

As for the Rutgers thing, the school's Formula SAE team comes out to our autocrosses and one of their guys took a few shots of my car. I myself am not a student, but a 9 year high school teaching veteran; although I will be returning to grad school in 2006 to pursue a Masters in Administration/Supervision (I'm becoming a principal).

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Way to go Mario! I really hope you kick they butts out their with your 06 Civic. Also I hope your able to get them koni's on in time to get a little practice before the season starts. Have you found anything out yet with the springs or whatever you need?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
~racnjsn04~ said:
Way to go Mario! I really hope you kick they butts out their with your 06 Civic. Also I hope your able to get them koni's on in time to get a little practice before the season starts. Have you found anything out yet with the springs or whatever you need?

The only thing I can do with the Koni situation is be patient at this point in time. As for the spring rate question, yeah, I got all my answers.

The Si Coupe features a 200# front spring and a 230# rear spring.

The DX/LX/EX Coupes all share a 170~175# front spring and a 200~205# rear spring.

That isn't much difference considering the Si weighs so much more than the other models, especially my LX. Shock valving is going to be crucial in my success as ALL the rates listed above, regardless of model, are soft for a car that sits 2500-3000 lb. range.

If anybody wants their name on the car, I'm pursuing sponsorships as I will be making up a professional portfolio shortly.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

1 - 10 of 10 Posts