8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, $43 large for a focus, sounds like a familiar marketing ploy. You may say, 'at least they added power', but I say who cares, it is a junk five-cylinder volvo engine....One thing is for sure, Ford are idiots for not bringing the Euro-Focus to the states, performance version or not.

read it here

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
from the thread title I though that someone turn a foocus to mugen.. LOL

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tastycakes said:
1. I think a mod should change the title to "The Mugen of Ford Focus"

And for $43k i better get a f*** of alot more HP than 236.
Right, to clarify, this car is not associated with Mugen in any way, shape or form. the title of the thread alludes to the high asking price.

And it has 221 Hp and 236 lbs/ft

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I love that Volvo engine. Pretty smooth, pretty torquey, and not very laggy. I'd take it (and the C30 it should be bolted unto) over the MS3 anyday.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Izzy said:
I love that Volvo engine. Pretty smooth, pretty torquey, and not very laggy. I'd take it (and the C30 it should be bolted unto) over the MS3 anyday.
If it is the same engine in the base S60 I drove recently, I didn't care for it at all. It certainly was not a performance engine as this car, the focus, leads to you to believe.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
HondaFamilyMan said:
If it is the same engine in the base S60 I drove recently, I didn't care for it at all. It certainly was not a performance engine as this car, the focus, leads to you to believe.
It actually is the same engine as the S40 T5. The thing is, the Volvo engine is made to be smoother, and without the right gearing, the engine will still feel sluggish instead of a monster. However, that just means the power band is more smooth. With the right gearing (which I assume would be more aggressive in this Focus) it will be quick.

It really isn't just engine that makes the car go fast. I could have a million and a half horsepower, but if my gearing is too damn short, I won't be going all that fast... it's the same in the reverse. If you have a modicum amount of horsepower, the right gearing, you'll be rather quick, as the car is tuned to stay in the powerband.

That's just me though. I'm a pretty avid supporter of Volvo's (I owned one) lower line. :D

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Izzy said:
It actually is the same engine as the S40 T5. The thing is, the Volvo engine is made to be smoother, and without the right gearing, the engine will still feel sluggish instead of a monster. However, that just means the power band is more smooth. With the right gearing (which I assume would be more aggressive in this Focus) it will be quick.

It really isn't just engine that makes the car go fast. I could have a million and a half horsepower, but if my gearing is too damn short, I won't be going all that fast... it's the same in the reverse. If you have a modicum amount of horsepower, the right gearing, you'll be rather quick, as the car is tuned to stay in the powerband.

That's just me though. I'm a pretty avid supporter of Volvo's (I owned one) lower line. :D
I thought the S40 T5 was turboed? The other thing that strikes me is that the focus is a pretty light car, I wonder what this engine will do to the weight balance, maybe nothing, but it could make it boaty with a heavier front end...

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Yeah, it's a 5-cyl turbo charged engine (231HP/211TQ on the Focus ST). This one isn't? I was going on the fact that it was. LOL. Maybe I should read the thread.

New Volvo's aren't as heavy weight (though still quite heavy) as they once were, but I don't think the engine is altogether to heavy in itself. It would probably handle like any FWD car at the limit.

·
Banned
3,352 Posts
HondaFamilyMan said:
Wow, $43 large for a focus, sounds like a familiar marketing ploy. You may say, 'at least they added power', but I say who cares, it is a junk five-cylinder volvo engine....One thing is for sure, Ford are idiots for not bringing the Euro-Focus to the states, performance version or not.

read it here

How do you expect that big ass grill to keep the bugs outta your engine?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Izzy said:
With a shorter gear (has a larger diameter), the car accelerates faster but has a lower top speed (in that particular gear). With a taller gear (has a smaller diameter) the car will accelerate slower but have a higher top speed (in that particular gear).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts