8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's writing like this that makes me love Car and Driver. I thought the bit about the Jag X-Type was great:

"For a brief—and I do mean brief—period of time in the early part of this decade, this scribe worked at a Jaguar dealership as a parts guy. Most of my time was spent learning the million and one ways that an X-type could fall apart. Engines seized, interiors collapsed, transmissions exploded, and driveshafts—oh, the countless, countless driveshafts—ate their U-joints so regularly that you could set your watch by them. At a time when Jaguar reliability was finally approaching respectable, the all-wheel-drive X-type was the lone, laughable holdout. It was obnoxiously underbuilt, remarkably overpriced, and about as charming as a hernia.

The X-type was Coventry’s business-case company saver, an entry-level sports sedan for the wooden-drawing-room set. It was built on the bones of Jaguar parent Ford’s Mondeo/Contour, and it was intended to resurrect Coventry’s financial fortunes, providing the dignified marque with a way to snag young, affluent buyers. What the bean counters neglected to consider, however, was that young, affluent buyers are not lobotomy patients. A tarted-up economy sedan sold at luxury-car prices is still just a tarted-up economy sedan, especially if it tries to self-immolate every time you turn the key.

There was also an impossibly unpopular wagon version. The dealer that I worked for had one that sat on the lot for—I am not making this up—two years."

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I like this quote:"Fisher-Price interior and the fuel mileage of a 747? Check."

I read something like this couple of years ago and Ford Explorer was on the list too. As one of the cars that killed American car industry. I didn't get it then, but it is so true now.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Subaru SVX (1991–97) Back in those days that was a good looking car. But it was $$$.

Chrysler Crossfire (2004–08) Sticker price is crazy. But they didn't sell and a smart buyer can land a killer deal. Basically a Benz platoform at a cheap price. The srt-6 version will smoke a corvette.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember a discussion at a Chrysler dealership in 2007. There was an SRT Crossfire in the showroom. The price which had been jacked up, was now discounted heavily.

A young Asian saleswoman came over and asked if I was interested in the car. I told her I was just looking. She began to name off all the performance parts and the horsepower of the engine.

I asked her why it did not come with a manual transmission. Her reply, "Because it is too powerful. Nobody could manage that much power". I then asked her why Dodge sells a Viper with 500 hp [at the time] with a 6 speed manual transmission. She just stood there and blinked her eyes.

It is cars like this that got Chrysler into the trouble it is in now.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no ford pinto? i mean who dosent want an exploding car??

The article is actually about the worst sales and marketing flops, not dangerous or bad engineering flops. The Pinto actually sold extremely well as did the Chevy Vega. Both however, were pieces of crap. The Pinto as many may remember, was a fire hazard if rear-ended. The gas tank would get crumpled in a rear end collision, causing fuel leakage and then fires.

The funny thing is that both Chevy and Ford said in 1970 that would would "push the imports back into the sea". It was sad in 1970 and 39 years later, it is still sad.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
The funny thing is that both Chevy and Ford said in 1970 that would would "push the imports back into the sea". It was sad in 1970 and 39 years later, it is still sad.
All throughout the 80s and 90s and even until very recently I've thought the Big 3 never really tried. Very sad.

There's a great book on the 80s of GM called "Rude Awakening", which sadly echoes all the drama they're going through right now--union disputes, Saturn hemorrhaging money, etc.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All throughout the 80s and 90s and even until very recently I've thought the Big 3 never really tried. Very sad.

There's a great book on the 80s of GM called "Rude Awakening", which sadly echoes all the drama they're going through right now--union disputes, Saturn hemorrhaging money, etc.
Good point. The late 70's and the 80's was the redefining of GM. The divisions lost their individuality. Cadillac loosed a Chevy Cavalier rebadged as as a Cimmaron on an unwitting public. We had the S10/diesel/EDS fiascos. Saturn was planned and then launched in 1990.

Then there was the hapless Roger Smith, who may have done more to damage GM than anyone else in its history. His GM10 plan has been called "The biggest catastrophe in American industrial history". Smith reorganized GM, much to its detriment. Smith had much to do with the loss of autonomy for each division. He singlehandedly took GM from the leader of the industrialized world to a third rate company.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Pontiac Aztek needs to be on this list. Most wack vehicle EVER.
Bro, the thread is about sales failures, not automotive versions of train wrecks. The Aztek belongs on a list of all time classic engineering/styling failures. That is for another thread...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.