8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Civic: Exhaust System
The Civic is equipped with a stainless steel, low heat-mass exhaust system integrated into the cylinder head that eliminates the need for a separate exhaust manifold, contributing to the engine's compact design and light weight. The system employs a high-density catalytic converter for improved light-off performance and reduced hydrocarbons and NOx. For emissions performance, the exhaust manifold is positioned on the front of the engine-which shortens the distance that the exhaust gases must travel to the catalytic converter, resulting in faster light-off and more complete conversion of the exhaust gases.

the exhaust is one piece that is part of the block...i wonder if we can get an aftermarket exhaust put on. I ive always us the apexi world sport. i hope we can change out the exhaust.

DESMOND

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good point man, I was kinda looking forward to doing a custom exhaust to make it look more like the prototype with center flush exhaust...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im hoping apexi, dc sports, greddy and the likes will find some way around this. we can only wait and see.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Right click picture and copy URL from properties. Paste in new window. Worked for me when I did that. The site probably doesn't allow remote linking.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You will still be able to get a cat-back exhaust, just no headers. The headers (exhuast manifold) are cast into the head as a single piece.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wonder if it's going to be hard to change exhaust now, hope Greddy comes out with a EVO exhaust for the new SI.

·
Registered
57 Posts
damn that sucks, looks like only you guys DX LX EX would have that problem. the SI is probably different. they have different engines.
the SI have the Intake Manifold in the front just like the RSX-S

·
Registered
241 Posts
youngxlos said:
damn that sucks, looks like only you guys DX LX EX would have that problem. the SI is probably different. they have different engines.
the SI have the Intake Manifold in the front just like the RSX-S
of course the rest of the line has that problem, the si is a performance car, where the others are not meant to be, but seriously we know what the k series looks like , its not new, but why did honda have to build the cat to the header like the 7thgen d17A1? i hope we can just get a header new cat and exhaust like the lx to ex people for a 7thgen

·
Registered
106 Posts
If the law in your state permits modding then no problems, but in California you aren't allowed to move the cats, even if you installed a header and an aftermarket OBD-II cat you would not pass the test 6 years after you purchased the car (which is your first smog test).

This means no CARB legal turbos.

The reason the cat is on the header is because the exhaust gasses help it to heat up faster and since cars polute the most within the first couple minutes of being started, this helps it be a ULEV class car, which means $$$ for Honda.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well this is seriously annoying.

so i guess if you dont get pulled over for 6 years and keep the stock equipment you can change it back for that smog test...

·
Registered
5 Posts
For emissions at least here in AZ... you cannot remove a properly functioning cat... soo... meethinks if they cant prove your cat wasnt broken you could do a Random Tech universal high flow cat and custom pipe all the way back to a muff of your choice... that would be cake for a decent exhaust shop... just tell em it was broke and you had to replace it... besides like they are supposed to know what under the hood of a brand new car is supposed to look like...:rolleyes:

Also think of it this way... no crazy manifolds for a turbo just a pipe that converts the factory head exhaust outlet to a flange config for a turbo!

Peace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts