8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
^^^^^ That's why this whole CMC thing is so ******* stupid for these cars.

I have literally, LITERALLY, replaced my CMC 6 times now. 6 ******* times. They just keep failing; NISSIN ones. I had to get 1 NAPA one after a Nissin one failed on a Sunday, that lasted about a week.
The issue with the OEM master I think is that it doesn't move far enough.
Last night when I replaced my CMC again, with a Nissin one, I was trying to get the pedal just perfect. Oddly enough, I adjusted the pedal DOWN, not UP to get the free play in the clutch pedal I wanted. Once you have that, DO NOT **** WITH THE PEDAL BRACKET. You adjust the clutch switch instead!!! (if you have the clutch switch backed off too far, YOU WILL LOSE CRUISE CONTROL) Then once you can push the slave in by hand, or by finger is what you want, you're done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well here we go again! 20k miles after Exedy Stg 1 and 10k miles after stock replacement of CMC, Slave and rubber hose my clutch is trying to engage flywheel with pedal on the floor. Talked to my mechanic and we're gonna try the EM1 with the SS line. Should help since the EM1 is a longer stroke/cylinder so more movement of the pressure plate/disc away from the flywheel. Hopefully....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm having CMC 46925-TA0-A02, slave cylinder 46930-S6M-003 & clutch hose 46961-SNA-A41 installed next week. These are all Honda OEM parts. They are old and just worn out after 120,000 miles. The gearbox is really notchy when shifting esp. first gear. The clutch engages flywheel with clutch pedal fully depressed. After reading about all other CMC's I decided to go OEM. Too many problems with Omni and didn't want to mess with EM1. I trust the Honda engineers know what they are doing. If they thought the EM1 was better they would have put it on there.
I have an 09 EX so I have a different slave cylinder, but the new CMC (46925-TA0-A02) has made a huge improvement in shifts - even my wife commented on it. I installed it about 6 weeks ago.

I'm not so sure Honda's engineers are all that. If you look back at what part numbers Honda uses for the 8th gen Civic, you'll find that they're on the 4th CMC. The first 2 were 8th Civic specific, the 3rd is from an Accord and the 4th is a revised version of the 3rd.
You might be right but I also have a 40% (over stock) stronger pressure plate with the Exedy Stg 1 clutch. I think it puts more strain on the hydraulics. What is up with that foot long rubber clutch hose? I think that is a weak spot esp. with upgraded clutch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Someone very knowledgable about cars told me the rubber clutch hose helps absorb torsion in the hydraulic lines similar to motor mounts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well here we go again! 20k miles after Exedy Stg 1 and 10k miles after stock replacement of CMC, Slave and rubber hose my clutch is trying to engage flywheel with pedal on the floor. Talked to my mechanic and we're gonna try the EM1 with the SS line. Should help since the EM1 is a longer stroke/cylinder so more movement of the pressure plate/disc away from the flywheel. Hopefully....
you HAVE to use the rod from the stock 8thgen cmc. swap it over to an em1. if you use the rod on the em1 cmc you will destroy your crankshaft. look into this!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
you HAVE to use the rod from the stock 8thgen cmc. swap it over to an em1. if you use the rod on the em1 cmc you will destroy your crankshaft. look into this!!!
Already have the directions printed. Got it. I'll post an update after I have it installed next week.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
My clutch pedal just started to pop a little once the whether warmed up... after about 70k miles. Stock clutch and have never replaced the CMC.

It doesn't bother me much... may just grease it and leave it alone for now. Replacing it seems like a total PITA.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good to know but pedal pop will quiet down if you put grease on push rod and do a few pumps on the pedal area. There's a thread somewhere
You are only supposed to grease the cotter pin and the pedal spring. Both are located under the clutch pedal. Not the CMC. You will introduce grease into the brake/hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Already have the directions printed. Got it. I'll post an update after I have it installed next week.
Update
I had to send the EM1 back since it was not pumping up the clutch pedal. My mechanic installed the SS clutch hose though with the stock CMC and CSC and it made the difference. The clutch pedal is springy and sharp. Feel more communication through the pedal. A little stiffer too but way better engagement with flywheel and no gearbox notchiness..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wait the em1 unit didnt work, but with only a new hose everything is better? Doesnt sound right, may have been air in the system before

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do I need to upgrade my CMC with a Stage 1 Clutch?

You might be right but I also have a 40% (over stock) stronger pressure plate with the Exedy Stg 1 clutch. I think it puts more strain on the hydraulics. What is up with that foot long rubber clutch hose? I think that is a weak spot esp. with upgraded clutch.
As my question stated in the title implies, Do I need to upgrade to a EM1 or HR CMC or some sort of Stock CMC adjustment in order to have reliable engagement of a Stage 1 clutch? Or will I be okay with the stock CMC? I drive a 2009 Si. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As my question stated in the title implies, Do I need to upgrade to a EM1 or HR CMC or some sort of Stock CMC adjustment in order to have reliable engagement of a Stage 1 clutch? Or will I be okay with the stock CMC? I drive a 2009 Si. Thanks.
Have buddies with the stock CMC(not sure if it's the updated one or not), with stage 1 or higher clutches with no issues.

I personally have an EM1 CMC with the exedy stage 1 clutch and it's nice. I don't think the 8th gen CMC is really an issue, just make sure your adjustment is accurate.

[Side note: Hybrid Racing uses EM1 CMC's. Price things out and see if you can do it cheaper than them, or not.]

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The best cmc imo is the updated stock one with a steel braided line. Do not get the em1 as it does not fit correctly and fatigues the clutch pedal assembly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The best cmc imo is the updated stock one with a steel braided line. Do not get the em1 as it does not fit correctly and fatigues the clutch pedal assembly.
Fatigues the clutch pedal assembly? Shouldn't be any different, especially considering you're supposed to switch rods...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The bolts don't allow the cmc seat all the way against the firewall due to the positioning of the hose in combination with the bolts not lined up. The real problem is that it is too stiff for the clutch pedal assembly and after 5 years it fatigues it. Then cracks and breaks and it won't leverage the cmc and it starts to get hard to go in gear.

As long as the cmc bump stops on the firewall and not the bottom of the cmc, it is correctly adjusted at the bottom. At the top of the pedal travel, the cmc should not bump stop on the cruise control switch and it should let the cmc rod all the way out with a little play before it starts pushing the rod in. That is how it is perfectly adjusted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Subscribed,
So I have been experiencing squeaky noise from the pedal !! so far I performed the steps below:
*grease the CMC, pedal and SMC with lithium grease
*Bleed the the Clutch fluid
unfortunately the noise is there every time I am rolling from a stop or when shifting gears (engage/disengage) considering replacing my CMC...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't see any talk of the k tuned CMC?

Mine just went out and I just got a new SI. Wondering if I should go with same of if there is anything better out there?

Also I am confused on the OEM versions? I guess people say there is a 4th version? Has anyone installed? Reviews?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts