8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 SI sedan(FA5). I like turning at fast speeds. I made a left turn at a stop light yesterday going around 45 -50mph. I heard the tires burning and the VSA light blinked but the control was amazing. I just wana hear some of your experiences in testing your LSD to the max.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
think its the traction control.....which keeps power away from the engine.... thats when the VSA light comes on.

during hard cornering.... ive had it a few times.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
8thgenuser said:
I'm all for testing out your equipment, but please do it in a controlled safe environment. And keep the stories that way. Otherwise this thread will quickly go to the crapper. Thanks.

this website is sometimes too tight with this things locking thread and stuff, but honestly i think it's the right thing to do keep it up:thumb:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
+1 for making the vsa light blink lol..i bet that was one sharp corner. im trying to think was it a curve or a 90 degree turn..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just today I took a hard right, though I really don't know exactly what speed, maybe around 45-50 before I hit the brakes real quick down-shifted, turned the wheel and mashed the loud pedal,, I wasn't looking for any lights blinking, but I DID feel the VSA keep me pointed along my line and in my lane.. amazing. Butterflies like a roller coaster. :spinning:

VSA not only limits the throttle, but it also applies brakes to the proper wheels independently to help keep you from sliding rally style (much safer on public roads!). Combined with the LSD.. it's an amazing experience that also makes me much more confident in the safety aspect, especially in the rain.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
VSA is ment to SLOW THE CAR DOWN not make it faster. The VSA kicks in when it feels the driver is to dumb to know they have reached the limit of the car. With an experienced driver, VSA on is slower with VSA off. Also, most of the time a LSD will make the car SLOWER because it is used improperly by inexperienced drivers. Read this and maybe you will see.

Originally Posted by Skylinegtr06
Wait what? Higrev is an LSD a good thing or bad thing for cornering im confused

That is a loaded question (live Revy is at the moment). In terms of ulitmate grip mid corner, its bad. It is bad because the outside tire is giving everything it has (traction wise) to keep the car turning. A tire can only provide x amout of grip. So if you are using all of that x amout of grip (which you are in the middle of a corner) and you then tell the tire that it not only has to keep the car turning BUT it also has to start to accelerate the car at the same time, the tire is not going to be a happy camper. The tire is unhappy because it is already doing all it can to turn the car and you just told the LSD to give the outside tire even more work to do. The tire will then quit working causing understeer. Now, on corner exit, when the outside tire isn't using all its x amount of grip to turn the car, the LSD can take advantage of the traction that is left over and put more power to the outside wheel, which in turn accelerates the car more efficiently because the LSD is sending as much power to each tire as it can handle. But there is a very thin line between effective acceleration and understeer.

·
Registered
928 Posts
LOL...Yea it's like being back in elementary school!! recess duty...
It should be discouraged but don't think they should be closed..

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
From what ive understood from Higrev and sir belch is that with proper throttle modulation the LSD can help you and also give you a higer exiting speed however the LSD can also make cornering worse.

The VSA is not making you guys turn faster you actually turn slower and exit slower due to the throttle modulation what you actually feel is more control, however with a good driver(not a wannabe street racer) it is actually faster to turn without VSA

·
Registered
30 Posts
who said anything about corning being faster with VSA on? locomotived and I were talking about control, not maximum speed in turns. For the LSD part,, yeah, definitely more balance in making that effective.

And yeah the VSA does slow you down as opposed to using driving skills and experience to keep the car under control, but I don't see the point in turning it off when there are other drivers on the road. Public roads are not the place to test the limits of your skill. On a track, I would definitely turn it off. No question.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
what r u talkin bout, public roads are the best place to test yur car. if people dont understand that or not like that then just move the hell over and let us aggressive drivers enjoy our cars

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
Holiday d12 said:
:

VSA not only limits the throttle, but it also applies brakes to the proper wheels independently to help keep you from sliding rally style (much safer on public roads!).
I dont have VSA like the newer 07 and up FG2s.

So I make turns rally style, and I love it.:thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
kene79 said:
what r u talkin bout, public roads are the best place to test yur car. if people dont understand that or not like that then just move the hell over and let us aggressive drivers enjoy our cars
It was a guy much like you that passed a semi-truck and three cars over a solid yellow line and hit my father on his motorcycle head on, and when my dad tried to "get over" to the right the guy went left from his side,, BAM! So please, don't be that guy.

And oh yeah,, Nice video!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I felt my LSD work for the first time going up a VERY steep hill around a hairpin turn leading to a hotel. I was going about 15 and I turned VSA off on purpose and hit the gas. The car pulled right through the turn in what would have left any of my other cars burning the outside tire. This was my first FWD LSD experience and I liked it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.