8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost reaching 1000km on my civic 2008 sedan dx-a.

I'd like to test the breaks, to see how the car reacts and everything. Of course on a remote road.

My plan is to travel at around 60 Km/s and apply full breaks.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Note: I'm a newbie to cars, although I have driving experience).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
some quick math here: 60 kmph=37mph...slow
60 km/s=60km/h*360=37,000km/h=8276 mph...impossible

and the thing that slows down your car that slow down the rotors attached to the hub of your wheels are called BRAKES

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
duh... :D

ok, what are the issues I should consider when applying full brakes while going at 80 Km/H or even 100 Km/Hour?

Thanks....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thats not a bad idea. There are a lot of people out there that dont know what happens when they stand on the brakes. Some panic when they feel the abs engage. Older drivers that are used to conventional brakes think that if the brakes dont lock up they are not stopping as fast. Get used to how the car reacts and also that you can still actually steer the car when full brakes are applied which is the point to abs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys are funny...

can a car loose stability if you apply full brakes while @ 120Km/h?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Not an 8th gen, it has ABS and EBD to take care of that.

but make sure your insurance is up to date, just in case :D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Do it in a big empty parking lot, not on the road. At least that way if you do lose som control, you won't put it into a ditch/fence/pole/another car.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
make sure when you hit 120 km/h you turn of the flux capacitor...and you're civic will turn into a time machine!

Why the hell do you want to test the brakes? They did it for you...why both anymore unless you are comparing an upgrade you are about to install for increased or decreased brake distance?

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
dude, thats the stupid thing you gonna do, if u do that. think of it 120mph den all of the sudden u gonna step the break nyaiks!!!:eek:hsnap: good luck

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If you want to feel the stability, reaction and that kind of stuff, you don't need such a brake testing. Do an auto-x. You will know your car even better by knowing how to handle your car, cornering, avoid any obstacles, etc. That's IMHO tho...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Understand that you'll be unnecessarily subjecting your car to a lot of stress doing a 120-0 stunt. Though I'm sure your car will be just fine, I'd save the hard braking for when it's really needed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thats not a bad idea. There are a lot of people out there that dont know what happens when they stand on the brakes. Some panic when they feel the abs engage. Older drivers that are used to conventional brakes think that if the brakes dont lock up they are not stopping as fast. Get used to how the car reacts and also that you can still actually steer the car when full brakes are applied which is the point to abs.
Too funny. I'm an "older" driver, however, all of my cars have had ABS since 1988, and back then I was a relatively "younger" driver. :p

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Most brake testing is done at 60 - 80 mph, step hard on teh pedal until the car stops, this type of braking is used more for instrumented testing to simulate real world results.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts