8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting my tints done last week and I had couple of hours to waste, there was a Honda used car dealership across the street and they had a red 2005 srt4 for sale for $18,000 with 40k on it. I came up to it and the dealer came out and asked me if I want to drive it I told him sure. The car was pretty beat up, it had scratches all around the car. The car didn't seem much faster then a civic si, I floored it in second and it picks up speed a little better on low rpm's then an si. The back windows are roll up and the front once are power. The seating is very uncofterable. Also I think An si with a reflash would be faster then an srt4.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
they had a red 2005 srt4 for sale for $18,000 with 40k on it, which is way to much for the car but I wanted a closer look. The car seemed much faster then a civic si, I floored it in second and it picks up speed like a bat out of hell, and was much better on low rpm's then an si. Also I think An si with a reflash would not even be close to being faster then an srt4.
Fixed your story for you seems much better now.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys the Si is a MUCH more refined car than the srt4, but if you think an Si with minor mods will hang with an SRT4 in a straight line you are kidding yourselves....sorry.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I was getting my tints done last week and I had couple of hours to waste, there was a Honda used car dealership across the street and they had a red 2005 srt4 for sale for $18,000 with 40k on it. I came up to it and the dealer came out and asked me if I want to drive it I told him sure. The car was pretty beat up, it had scratches all around the car. The car didn't seem much faster then a civic si, I floored it in second and it picks up speed a little better on low rpm's then an si. The back windows are roll up and the front once are power. The seating is very uncofterable. Also I think An si with a reflash would be faster then an srt4.
You were taking note of the transmission and not the speed! I think the SRT4's transsmision is wider than that of the Civic.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
You were taking note of the transmission and not the speed! I think the SRT4's transsmision is wider than that of the Civic.
Honda's and most no torque motors have the illusion of being fast because the RPMS increase so quickly. Makes them fun to drive. However the torque of the SRT4 allows the engine to pull each gear longer. So the RPM's might not increase as quick but the speed Does.

·
Registered
88 Posts
there is no way our civics can keep up with an srt4... as much as i don't think highly of them (especially compared to wrx's and gti's) our civics don't have much of a chance unless we're running with a t3/t4 turbo setup or a decent supercharger.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Guys - it was his impression. Ie how he felt. Some cars just feel quicker than they are and some cars feel slower than they are.

Drive a BMW at 100mph and then get into a Caviler at 100mph. Same speed but the Caviler will feel faster.

Gearing, suspension, and even gauge cluster layout can make a care FEEL faster than it is.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
$18,000 with 40k miles on it srt-4's are usually good untill 60k - 70k thats when problems happen or aleast with the 3 other people that i no any way you look at thats a rip off and if you really think you can take a srt-4 go race one and see for your self.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
To whoever said that an si would be better than an srt4 long term, I wouldn't be so sure of that.. Srt4's hold up extremely well if they are taken care of properly. I have a friend that has probably 80+k on the clock on his 03 srt4 right now (he got it used with 60k on it) and it runs perfectly. That's after going through several different setups including full stage 2 and a stock ecu w/the "shocker."

Srt4's and ss/sc's are good cars, end of story.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Guys - it was his impression. Ie how he felt. Some cars just feel quicker than they are and some cars feel slower than they are.
You are 100% correct. I just don't want him to get the hopes up of Civic drivers everywhere, and then when they get their asses handed to them by an SRT4 they wonder why. On the track of course....

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Srt4's are good cars, end of story.
Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. I am sure there are owners who have had a good experience with their car. But there has NEVER been a "Good" Neon. From Safety, fit and finish, build quality, reliability, resale....the list goes on.

I will agree they arent terrible cars. But I certainly could not consider them "good".

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. I am sure there are owners who have had a good experience with their car. But there has NEVER been a "Good" Neon. From Safety, fit and finish, build quality, reliability, resale....the list goes on.

I will agree they arent terrible cars. But I certainly could not consider them "good".

Well, the build quality of the srt4's is leagues ahead of the base neons and the resale is actually great on them. And, as long as you keep it maintained correctly they are extremely reliable. I would say that would add up to being a good car.

BTW, the srt4 uses nothing neon but the shell. Engine, tranny, interior, etc. etc. is all unique to srt4's.

We're all obviously allowed to have our own opinions and all, so I'm not going to say that you're wrong or anything.. I've just been amazed to see how much my buddies srt has been through and still to this day it has never had a single problem.

When I say his srt has been though some stuff, I mean I've seen it go down a grass hill @ 80 mph because he took a wrong exit and it was a looooong way to make it to a point that he could get back on the highway.

To be fair, I had another buddy that had an srt4 and he got in over his head with trying to mod it (not knowing what he was doing in general) and spun a rod bearing within 10k miles. It's all up to the owner as to if it's reliable or not. If you don't know what you're doing and trying to mod that car (or any car for that matter) it's not worth crap, but if you actually know what you're doing and keep up with all the things that need to be done it's an extremely reliable car.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.