8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...And I must say that I am impressed with many aspects of the car. Though it wan an EX (I want the LX) I got a very good impression of how the new car will handle. It was raining and I must say that Honda isn't known for putting stellar rubber on their cars unless it has S2000 or NSX on it somewhere; yet the car handled remarkably well. The steering is as I thought it would be, ultrafast and direct! I wasn't used to it considering my Civic has a manual rack with a 19:1 ratio versus the new cars 13.7:1 ratio and power assist.

The car will need better struts / shocks for autocross use however as it felt sporty, but nothing more. When pushed, I forsee this thing understeering quite a bit unless a good set of Koni's reside in the fender wells... In addition, a killer autocross alignment, a lighter set of wheels and good race rubber (Kumho V710 or the Hoosier A3SO5) will be necessary to see if the 35% increase in torsional rigidity, the redisgned front and rear suspensions and the steering system really make the car a stock class contender.

The shifter seemed a little balky, then again the car had 10 miles on it, so that is to be expected I suppose. The drive-by-wire wasn't all that "slow" compared to those offered on the MINI and the E46 3 Series.

Stay tuned...

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
very cool. Looks like we're gaining more and more autox people on here every day. Can't wait to hear how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I bought the LX Coupe!

Atomic Blue... Wasn't nuts about the color online, but in person it is a very nice color. Lots of character.

I will be picking it up most likely tomorrow. Then begins the process of assessing the improvements Honda made to the car overall, breaking it in properly, discussing shock valving with Koni, buying a set of Kumho V710 race rubber, and going autocrossing with it officially in March of 2006 when the season starts here in the Northeast...

Stay tuned.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Registered
106 Posts
It really is a fabulous color, but I like all the Civic colors this year... I just happen to be partial to this blue.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's an update (10/29)...

Car has 530 miles on it and so I took it to its first autocross today. As I am going to run the car in H Stock (SCCA), I am limited by what can come out of the car. I wanted to put it on the scales at the local drag strip, so I prepared the car for how it would run at a national event.

* I removed spare tire and tools, (the floor mats and stuff in the glove box stays)

* I ran with maybe 4 gallons of gas in the tank

* I had about 99% of the windshield washer fluid in the container (this will drop to almost zero fluid in the reservoir)

* The car is still on the steel wheels and plastic covers on as well

Here's the magic number: 2555 lbs. :thumb:

I am so stoked because this puts me in the middle of MINI Cooper territory. Based on the times I ran on this car BONE STOCK, I am confident that with Koni's, Kumho V710 race rubber, lighter wheels, an aggressive autocross alignment, and more seat time, that I will pose a big threat to the MINI's domination of the class.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
~racnjsn04~ said:
COOL Mario!! I want to auto-x too, but I don't see that in my near future, but in a couple years when I get my car paid down I want to start.
The average autocross is $25, the cost to upgrade a car for a noob is $0 as seat time is more important than mods... And with your coveted navi system, you should be able to find autocross venues quite easily!

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
honda93 said:
The average autocross is $25, the cost to upgrade a car for a noob is $0 as seat time is more important than mods... And with your coveted navi system, you should be able to find autocross venues quite easily!

Anthony "Mario" Crea
I do have some seat time already. I went to Marlboro racing school, and learned how to autocross. I was able to shave 4 whole seconds of my time after learning how to do it. I autocrossed a manual and a automatic mustang. BTW the navi didn't work out for me cuz it is such a rare car to find and get ahold of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts