8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I have a 2007 FA5 w/ Injen CAI and Vibrant Cat Back. Love the car.
For the hell of it i test drove an '09 Cobalt SS Turbo. Now let me say up front i have no built in bias against Chevrolet and i actually like the way it looks (not as nice as the Si though). Well, for some reason the dealer let me take it out by myself. So i figured i could really get to try it out right and i did.
I was VERY unimpressed. I hate the interior, it really does look and feel cheap. I drove a coupe and to close the door was terrible very cheap clunk.
The seats are not very good, for me anyway. The shifter is very short throw but it "feels" bad. I like my Si's MUCH, Much better. By the way i have no trans. issues, shifts like butter, no grinding etc. The position of the shifter is wrong for me, not a natural placement like the Si.
The Clutch... WOW it Sucked!!! Very bad feel and the take up is very high, very hard to get a feel for engagement. All together (again for me) the shifter and clutch combo. is far behind where the Si is for me.
Power/Torque... This was where i was the most underwhelmed. Yes it has more torque and it is noticeable but not as much as u would think. Power, yes more but it some how does not "feel" very fast. Strange but true. If i had no idea how much power either car had i would think the Si was faster.
I know the SS is a faster car but as far as the "seat of the pants" feel it does not seem to be. I redlined the car a few times, nothing stupid but i did get all it had.
I was more happy than ever with having my civic. Again, I do like the car and i have nothing against domestic manufactures. It is a great car for Chevy and i am sure it would hold up well. It is just not for me.
I was one of those people who wanted to see if the hype was true. Don't get too exited. If u want to really like your Si even more drive an SS, it could put things into perspective. The Si is a fantastic car to "Drive", not all that fast but a quality car worth the money.
Now for that Turbo kit for the FA5... Quality, good looks and Fast!!:dance:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Are you sure the car was completely warmed up?

I'm glad to hear it. I've been slowly realizing to as time passes how much fun my Si is. I think it has to do with the involvement you feel. Haven't driven many cars but I remember driving my sister's '02 GTI which had noticeably more torque than my si, but for some reason, I couldn't get into it. Like I felt it PULL shift PULL but it was just jerky and not that great high-revving affair of the Si. Still I guess it could be that I have a SRI and that sound is awesome!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The car handles decent, and it has Brembo brakes. The real seller on this car though is the engine. 260 hp and 22/30 mileage. Chevy has a real winner with the ECOTEC engine. Everything else about the car is real bland. I'm curious to see if they'll bring the Cruze to replace the Cobalt in 2011 and if they make the cruze a SS turbo. IMO the styling on the Cruze is 100X better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, like i said it is a great car but it is lacking in so many significant areas that it just is not on par with the Si in my mind. The thing that i just can't wrap my head around is how it just does'nt "feel" very fast. It just goes to show that on paper some cars look great but in the real world it does not translate. Yes it will win at stoplights and on a track but it is not as much fun to drive/shift etc. If the interior was better and it looked better i would buy one. The Si is not a "racer" for a stock car but it is very fun to drive and the resale does not drop like a rock after you drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It is strange that it doesn't feel fast. 260 ft/lbs torque @2K RPM usually equates to a "fast" feeling. It weighs roughly the same (only ~150 lbs heavier), too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I traded my 06 si for this 08 Accord EXL V6 with the 6 speed manual. I would not trade a nice si for a Cobalt SS. If I recall all the numbers on the Cobalt SS were great but for some reason I over all like the si. I would like to know how long that Cobalt will hold up in quality and resale. I love my Accord but when it comes down to $$$ I should have kept my si. I also liked my si because it was a 2006 and I didn't have any transmission problems and it didn't have the VSA. Oh yea it also didn't have the speed limiter in it. You could go 140+ MPH if you needed to for some reason.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
The car handles decent, and it has Brembo brakes. The real seller on this car though is the engine. 260 hp and 22/30 mileage. Chevy has a real winner with the ECOTEC engine. Everything else about the car is real bland. I'm curious to see if they'll bring the Cruze to replace the Cobalt in 2011 and if they make the cruze a SS turbo. IMO the styling on the Cruze is 100X better.
Yea, i also think the cruze looks alot better than the cobalt, lets just hope they put the engine of the cobat tc on it and up the power some more..

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
A Cobalt SS can be bought for a song right now. GM Performance Parts is coming out with an upgrade for the motor that boosts hp from 260 to 315 and torque from 260 to 340 lb. ft. I agree that the interior is not up to par with the Si, but the handling and acceleration own an Si. Thanks for the good review though. Things like clutch feel, material tactile feel and shifter placement are important issues in everyday enjoyment of a car.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I recall all the numbers on the Cobalt SS were great but for some reason I over all like the si. I would like to know how long that Cobalt will hold up in quality and resale.
Forget about the performance package (Si vs SS) for a moment and look at the base products. Seeing used '08 Cobalts selling for @ 1/2 of what I was quoted last spring for new. Didn't think the Cobalt was a bad car, just left the impression it was low-market and behind the times when compared to Civic or Corolla. Just not right for this purchase regardless of the price difference.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i test drove one awhile back as well. did you drive one with the big ass spoiler? i noticed when you close the trunk, that garbage spoiler flexes like a violin string.. and it wobbles around constantly while your driving. yea... im sure that thing gives you LOADS of down force. HA! i could probably break it if i put like 20 pounds on it. anyway i fully agree with everything you said in your review. i disliked and was unimpressed with the car equally as you were.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
If I didn't have any issues with my Civic, I'd never even think about it - power isn't everything.

But given the transmission issues and awful build on my car, despite looking high quality, I'm more likely to give it a look.

I just wish they would've at least made it look like they TRIED on the interior. At leaset let me give an A for effort - which requires you actually try to make it look decent.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
now that they have a nice motor, chevy needs to change the body and interior styling for the cobalt
Honestly, there is where GM ****** up. They made a hell of car performance wise. Seeing it beat cars that it shouldn't really surprised me, but looking at the aesthetics, its still a fail imo. If they would have matched its performance with at least a decent interior/exterior then I bet it would have been a big success. Maybe GM will realize what potential they have in this car and will redesign both interior and exterior.

·
Registered
243 Posts
yeah true i was debating on getting a ss but i dont think i will...i like my si better it feels better on the inside and looks better imo...i will just have to s/c or t/c or get a bike if i want some more speed lol...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've owned enough cars by now to know that the difference is in the details. The Cobalt SS looks great on paper, but I can't bring myself to make years of payments on a vehicle that has the tactile feel of a rental car.

When we bought a minivan for my wife, we looked at Dodge Caravan's and Honda Odyssey's. The Caravan felt like something strictly to get the job done, while the Odyssey feels like a luxury vehicle- even in the lower trim levels. It's a minivan that I can actually enjoy driving.

This is why I buy Honda's, Nissan's and Toyota's. I haven't had an American car yet, but I will say that much the newest stuff coming out of detroit is very impressive. My next car may just be american. Has anyone seen the upcoming Ford Fiesta? OK, stupid name, and a bit small for me but... WOW.

As much grief as one can put on the Cobalt for its cheap details, it is a quantum leap over the Cavalier it replaced. I'm fairly certain that the Cruze will offer the same progress from the Cobalt. Will there be a Cruze SS?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was completely disgusted by the Cobalt SS. I didn't get to drive it, but just sitting in it and looking at it completely turned me off from the car. I'm sure the car is fast, but as an overall car, I'd give it two thumbs down.

I hope the Cruze is much better.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
So.... just wait and buy one in a year or 2 for 12,000 dollars.

the ss won't hold it's value much better than the decked out base model.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.