8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This Civic has a 1.8L SOHC MPFI 16-valve i-VTEC I4 engine, and to my knowledge the engine block recall is mostly with this engine type. I called the dealership to ask about this and they reported back to me that the car has no open recalls on it.

The car has 135k miles on it. I think if the engine is one of the bad ones then it would have cracked by now, but I have also heard of these engine blocks cracking with higher mileages. So with that in mind, I was going to ask them if there are no open recalls on it now because the engine has already cracked and been replaced by Honda already, or if it has just not cracked YET. And if it is the latter then should I not risk it and walk away? I definitely don't want to do any more car repairs any time soon, I am driving a 98 accord right now and have put as much $$$ into that car as I spent on it. I just want a reliable vehicle.

I will ask for a car fax report, and for proof of service history. And I will get it inspected by my mechanic. Is there anything else I should ask to ensure this is a good purchase?

(If anything I said isn't making sense then let me know- I am not very car savvy. This will be my second car purchase on my own and I didn't do so well on the first one lol.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first question after looking totally looking it over and even assuming its in very good condition, I'd ask why are they asking so much for it.. looking at kbb, local here in S, Florida ,its listed at around $2k.. It is a 15 year old car.

I have a 2008 Coupe but an EX, original owner, similar mileage, good shape, no outstanding recalls, never in an accident of any kind. I feel its worth maybe $2500-$3K on a good day.

Check all the plastic parts inside and out, headliner and carpets, all electric windows and locks.. If its mechanically sound It will make a good daily driver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ask them to check the health of the engine belt accessories, check for super corroded alternator, leaky PS pump, listen for the AC compressor clutch engagement. I had the block replaced on my dads 06 civic at 89k right after I changed the coolant it appeared and we got a goodwill rebuild done for $800. I would request all the fluids be changed to try to see if a block crack would appear (if it hasn’t been done). The passenger hydraulic engine mount has a tendency to dry out and go bad if the car was exposed to a lot of water (flooding)

·
Registered
410 Posts
To really make sure this issue is gone, I would search and look for a 2010-2011 Civic which all have the revised block. My 2006 Civic EX has the original block from the factory and has 165k original miles and no crack (yet.....hope not). If you are getting it for super cheap and don't mind it failing when it does, then I would go for it although only a couple of Civics were affected with this so thats why a service bulletin was scheduled instead of a mass recall because not every single one was affected. Also be aware that first year production cars always have the most problems since it is the first model year. Mine has a production date of January of 2006 which makes it an early production car and has had many issues. It has been reliable ever since the mass of repairs I did on it although my car was a bit neglected from my parents.

I ran the VIN of that specific car through CARFAX and seems like it has very little maintenance history. I would really make sure the engine block was at least changed for the updated one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't believe the block issue is technically a recall, it is an extended warranty. They only replace those that fail within the guidelines (10 yrs unlimited mileage).

We had a similar issue with the 2016 Kia Optima my gf bought last year. I searched recalls and there were none, but the engine has an issue that can cause it to seize up at any time. They have issued an unlimited extended warranty on all affected cars.

·
Registered
976 Posts
At this point in time you could probably find a 2009+ for only a little more. Besides the crack problem being fixed the refreshed models look a lot nicer inside and out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ask about the rear camber parts... The revised saves the rear tires about 40% wear from my experience. I believe my engine cracked at about 140k miles when I added oil that was cold and the engine was still warm an hour after driving on a cold day... I heard a tick... then a month later the coolant was low enough to have heater fluctuations... So the car I bought new 14 years ago was traded in just to avoid the hassles... It was time...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Get a 2009+ model. My 2007 was perfect until the block cracked at 247,000 miles. They can fail at any time, not worth the risk.

·
Registered
102 Posts
google car complaints and there is a site where you can investigate what problems are common on most models.
Try not to let the actual number of complaints for a particular model bother you because the models with less complaints may not have been big sellers. What you need to look for is how common the complaint is and how bad it is.

But for the 06 civic, you might want to just avoid that one unless they can prove the engine has been replaced.

If you have already purchased the car, that is okay too. Though the block may crack, that doesn't necessarily mean it will.
I do not imagine the 06 civic is a horrible gamble necessarily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts