8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So exactly as the title states, my tempature gauge went out and the car just died...

I tried changing out the relays and fuses, ripped apart the dash and checked for shorts...

What is the temp gauge connected too? can anyone chime in? what could make it do this...?

It will crank

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Did these two problems happen at around the same time? Were you driving and the gauge stopped working and right then the engine stopped?

A temp gauge problem itself shouldn't stop the engine from running. Did anything else happen around the same time (run over something in the road, etc.)? Did the engine overheat?

You say it will crank, but are you saying it won't start?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
no fuel and spark, its an r18....

both happened at the same time, and it didnt overheat, didnt run over anything, I think the computer just took a ****

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Hmm, it cranks, gets fuel and spark, but doesn't start?

When you say it is getting fuel, are the injectors actually firing/spraying, or are you just getting fuel to them from the tank?

Are you stock? How many miles? It seems like you checked the obvious stuff, but how's your air filter?

Does it fire or sputter at all when it cranks? Does it sound normal when it cranks? Does the exhaust (or the intake) smell bad or like fuel while/after trying to start it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
im stock except an intake manifold which blocks egr and a short ram intake (left over from turbo setup)

no sputtering sounds normal, no smell, just really wierd... I am thinking its the ecu im going to check the power going in and out, any other ideas?

filter is good, and maf is good

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try plugging the ECU up to see if it reads? I hope you checked any and all fuses... have you done anything to you air/fuel mixture? Hell I would just change the sensors out while I was at it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nothing to a/f but i doubt that would make it just stop running, im checking the ecu today, all fuses were checked and so were relays.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You did check and you are getting spark right? Starting fluid will usually tell you pretty quickly if it's fuel you aren't getting.

By the way, did your temperature gauge drop to zero, or did it shut off completely?

Have you checked the connections at the sensors themselves and at the ECU?

At this point there isn't much we can do other than suggest things to check. Connect a scan tool as supernovanexus suggested and see if that tells you anything. Try starting fluid as I mentioned and see if it will fire at all.

The ECU will look at the crankshaft position sensor to know when to fire the injectors. It is possible that this sensor failed. I don't know how the temperature gauge would be affected by this, but it's something to check.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow im retarted...

im getting no spark or fuel, i have no idea why I said that im just braindead...

I hooked up my buddies obd2 ecu thing and it just freezes

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It's a difficult problem to diagnose over the internet. If you truely think the ECU died you may have to take it to the dealership to be sure.

Double check connections. Look over the engine bay and look for anything out of place, loose or damaged wires, etc.

You said you checked the fuses. Did you check them with a meter, or just visually. Sometimes a fuse can be bad and not look like it. What relays did you check? Was there anything in particular gave you the idea to check them, or were you just checking them for the heck of it.

Was there anything out of the ordinary going on when you were driving when it shut down?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You said you checked the fuses. Did you check them with a meter, or just visually. Sometimes a fuse can be bad and not look like it.
Did not check them with a meter... I will do this..

What relays did you check? Was there anything in particular gave you the idea to check them, or were you just checking them for the heck of it.
I just moved them all around (all the ones that were the same) I dont know what relays goto what because there is no map of them that I have

Was there anything out of the ordinary going on when you were driving when it shut down?
yeah the temp gauge went out same time it shut down.. its just dark, it fires up when the key goes in ignition but after it rolls to full it just shuts off (the light behind it)

I dropped it off at my mechanic a few days ago, and he has given up on it because "it has too many aftermarket parts" the turbo is off, the only thing left on it is a intake manifold, intake, exhaust and pulleys, which really should affect this I think

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
that's your ecu. I say that because when flashing the ecu, when it's effectively "dead" the temp gauge does not work.

with no fuel or spark, and no temp gauge, i'd say your ecu has taken a ****. Make honda give you a new ecu.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if my mechanic didn't call them up and tell them i was previously turbo charged... do you think a dealership that I didn't purchase the car from would give me a new one? I had to splice a wire on the harness to get my fic working because the boomslang harness was bad (interlock wire)... well im off to a few junkyards to see if I can find a new one..

any other ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think I know whats wrong with your car. happened to me when I took put in a IMG and I had to take out the fuel injector. I bleed my fuel injector dry because gasoline was getting all over the place. I finished my car and put everything together but when i tried to start the car all i heard was the starting motor. My temp gauge wasnt out but it was dark like you described. Well anyway sorry for the long story getting to the point. You ran out of gas and your temp thing is dark right? if it is all you have to do is put some fuel in your injector and railing. What i did was get a droplet thing and put fuel in till it filled up. Start it up and it will work fine. If it dont work then good luck finding a new car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts