8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this seems to be my weak area with driving stick, how do you guys take those kinds of turns? do you coast through it with the clutch in? if i don't put the clutch in i feel like i'm going to slow and will bog the engine. then sometimes i'm not sure if i should be in 1st or 2nd when i come out of the turn. what do you guys do? have any speed landmarks? like after a certain mph you use 2nd and not 1st?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
ones without stop signs, i just slow down in 3rd and no down shifting is required, obvioulsy since you're getting to like 1500 rpms you cant accelerate quickly out of it but if you're in a neighborhood then you shouldnt be ripping it anyway

lets say i wanna slow down to a stop sign, but its 2 a.m and making a full stop is dumb... ill slow down to it, shift into second when i get to about 8 mph, then feather the clutch lightly and get going again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
when taking any turn i am in second gear. Any meaning left or right 90. i also always have the clutch out. the will not stall out in 2nd gear or any gear until the car is basicaly stopped. i tookk it to 1 mph in 2nd just to see what would happen when i first got the car.

Basicaly leave it in second gear and dont have the clutch in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
anavrin351 said:
when taking any turn i am in second gear. Any meaning left or right 90. i also always have the clutch out. the will not stall out in 2nd gear or any gear until the car is basicaly stopped. i tookk it to 1 mph in 2nd just to see what would happen when i first got the car.

Basicaly leave it in second gear and dont have the clutch in
i find that pretty unnecessary if you're in 2nd gear making a right @ a green light or something @ 25 mph

3rd will be just fine
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
441 Posts
dnbsi said:
this seems to be my weak area with driving stick, how do you guys take those kinds of turns? do you coast through it with the clutch in? if i don't put the clutch in i feel like i'm going to slow and will bog the engine. then sometimes i'm not sure if i should be in 1st or 2nd when i come out of the turn. what do you guys do? have any speed landmarks? like after a certain mph you use 2nd and not 1st?
unless you are comin to a complete stop, i never downshift to 1st. u should be good in 2nd. if u hav 2 stop all the way, downshift to 1st
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
shutter13 said:
i find that pretty unnecessary if you're in 2nd gear making a right @ a green light or something @ 25 mph

3rd will be just fine
i dont take rights at 25. usualy 18-19. 3rd works, but i like 2nd cuz it has a little more power. i also like to keep my rpms above 2k at all times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just feel bad bogging it. i'll try leaving it in 2nd with no clutch in. i'm just nervous that it will stall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
you talking about just a normal everyday 90deg turn with like a yield??

or are you wanting to Gran Turismo that ****?

i assume you mean take it like an Auto-X 90 in which case. put that **** in 2nd gear before the turn...go slow the first few times to get used to the angle...work your way from like 20-25mph to up to 30...35...40

**** find a cone or tire or something, go out in a big parking lot with *no curbs* and practice there. where theres no traffic, parked cars, or curbs.

and if you really wanna rip it...test out that e-brake :lildevil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
03sihatch said:
you talking about just a normal everyday 90deg turn with like a yield??

or are you wanting to Gran Turismo that ****?

i assume you mean take it like an Auto-X 90 in which case. put that **** in 2nd gear before the turn...go slow the first few times to get used to the angle...work your way from like 20-25mph to up to 30...35...40

**** find a cone or tire or something, go out in a big parking lot with *no curbs* and practice there. where theres no traffic, parked cars, or curbs.

and if you really wanna rip it...test out that e-brake :lildevil:
Dude he's talking about stop signs. No need to be taking 20+ mph turns like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
You can ride 2nd gear down to about 700rpm, i think thats ~5mph... you should be able to take a 90 faster than 5mph so just take her down to second, brake and gas as needed. Just don't come to a stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,043 Posts
Well for stop signs you stop. For right turns on green lights or without a stop sign you should not be bogging down in second! If you are your going WAY too slow. Your car turns better than you think it does, trust me when I say it will EASILY make a 90 degree right turn at 25 while accelerating and faster than that if you coast through the turn. If the tires aren't squealing then you can turn faster because you still have more grip available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
at 90 degree turns that dont have a stop sign, i usually slow down from 3rd, pus h the clutch all the way in, put it in 2nd, and during the turn, let out the clutch slowly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
lol

Ok first gear is a startup gear from a dead stop. Anything else should be 2nd or higher. Which gear depends on how fast your going. 2nd gear won't stall on you unless your going slower then 4 or 5 mph which was mentioned earlier. I use 2nd gear as my putz around gear whenever I have to do anything requiring maneuvering less then 15(ish) and more then 5mph. I never down shift to 1st but I also never wind out first gear either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
errorunknown said:
LOL, I don't think you can drift around in corners in a civic.

Nice try! :wavey:
No, but you can still make the rear "drift" for a little bit.
tap the brake to shift the weight foward, then yank the steering wheel.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top