8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to be fair, this was kinda overdue... The Type One Racing testpipe is a great quality item, and I've had it on my car for about 50K miles. 25K of which have been boosted.

I was driving (spirited at 300whp) last week, and I noticed when I got home and backed into my garage, my car sounded louder. I said it's been a long day, and went to bed. Woke up and went to my car three days later, started it, and heard metal on metal. "OH SH!T"... Here's what happened.

Apparently, the tp got so hot, that it ended up creating a complete break, very clean, from the actual piece that bolts up to the exhaust side. Kinda a weak description, so just look at the pix.

For now, I'm running nothing after the downpipe until tomorrow when I can get it welded up and reinstalled. It's loud as hell, and you can hear the turbo spooling with even the slightest blip of the gas pedal.

Pix taken from my phone....

Should I get a new T1R, have somebody just make me a 3" testpipe to get it ready for my 3" exhaust, or just get this rewelded?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just have a new test pipe fabricated at an exhaust shop. It'll be much cheaper, and you won't be paying a premium for "JDM quality." (spoiler: T1R is not JDM.)

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
If the piping simply falls off like that, it's a crappy weld. Don't get another T1R, have a good shop weld it back. I wouldn't DIY weld it either if you don't have experience with welding.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
looks like the flanges weld failed.

go to a local muffler shop and have them reweld it, it should only cost an hours worth of labor.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Why even consider another T1R if it's the weld that failed? Just take it to a muffler shop for them to weld it back on.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Where exactly are T1R products made? They really don't say on them, do they? That would really be horrible if we paid near JDM prices for these products to find out that they were made in Taiwan.

Some of their stuff says "nihon-sei" (Japanese-made) in Japanese, but I still think it's all made in Taiwan stuff... I think they copy JDM stuff at a fraction of cost and sell it for a higher profit margin.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
Damn! Just have a nice 3" downpipe made that runs from the turbo to the exhaust. Or if you must just have the flange re welded. If that weld broke that cleanly then they didn't actually penetrate the metals and only basically "brazed" it together. If the weld was actually hot enough to fuse the metals it wouldn't have broken that cleanly. A properly welded part would actually be fused together.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts