8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont want to go to the dealer to get my MTF switched. Anybody know of a good cheap place I can go to get it done? I already have the Amsoil MTF ready.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the point, I'm a noob to the city itself and wanted some leads to those reputable auto shops.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cos the guy said it would void the warranty. But being a Mechanical Engineer, I do know one thing: IF my transmission does fail because of the Amsoil (which is highly likely), the dealer's mechanics are not going to take my fluid out and send it to a lab for testing just to prove it isn't the factory MTF. Plus, after the wear the oil is going through, when the oil comes out, its gonna look black as any other fluid.
So, does anybody know a reputable good auto shop around downtown Oakland or Alameda.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, i took a course in Tribology,,which is study of bearings and lubrication, so i just want to say i'm not kidding about the oil wear and tear in the transmission.

·
Banned
440 Posts
As long as it meets or exceeds factory specs, they can't void your warranty for using a different brand MTF. Just take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do it yourself if you can? Jack stands, ratchet, and a $10 suction gun. There is a DIY and if you can change your own oil, this will be no harder.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
SiDaemon said:
Cos the guy said it would void the warranty. But being a Mechanical Engineer, I do know one thing: IF my transmission does fail because of the Amsoil (which is highly likely), the dealer's mechanics are not going to take my fluid out and send it to a lab for testing just to prove it isn't the factory MTF. Plus, after the wear the oil is going through, when the oil comes out, its gonna look black as any other fluid.
So, does anybody know a reputable good auto shop around downtown Oakland or Alameda.
That is such BS take it to another dealer that is complete and utter garbage Amsoil will not void your warranty because it meets/exceeds the factory specs and stated above. Thats like saying I cant use any engine oil but Honda oil in my car otherwise they will void my warranty as long as it meets standards its fine.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
FunkNasty777 said:
Do it yourself if you can? Jack stands, ratchet, and a $10 suction gun. There is a DIY and if you can change your own oil, this will be no harder.
I'd recommend this route as well. You pick the time. You know what you did. You put the oil in. You'll know if you've screwed up.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
FunkNasty777 said:
:word:

You don't need to go the suction gun route though if you don't want to. You can do it with a funnel and a hose through the fender well. That's how I completed the task with my Si.

In response to SiDaemon,

Your transmission fluid won't be black like old motor oil, it may however, be a tad darker than new clean oil. Motor oil turns dark/black mostly because of carbon deposits from the combustion process. Since there is no combustion taking place in the gearbox the oil won't turn dark/black. I'm an ME too, good to see another one on these boards! :thumb:

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Coming off of the dealership lot, immediately. The factory fluid is overfilled. You'll probably notice MTF coming out of the fill bolt when you take it off. After that, I would recommend every year.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yodums said:
Coming off of the dealership lot, immediately. The factory fluid is overfilled. You'll probably notice MTF coming out of the fill bolt when you take it off. After that, I would recommend every year.
You speak the truth! Mine spewed out a good amount from the fill hole when I removed it. I waited until about 4k mi to change the MTF, but that's only because the Amsoil MTF was on back order for like 4 weeks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going back to my original question; my problem is that I dont have access to a garage or basement parking or anywhere I can do this fluid change myself. If anyone got their fluid changed at a Honda dealer, please let me know which dealer they did it at and give me a contact to speak to.

·
Registered
888 Posts
well i had jiffy lube do mine but it was not a good experience. First they reallly didnt want to put it in my car, saying " this stuff is made for gm's and honda uses a different type of fluid" ...so i went home looked at amsoil site again. says good for all honda trannys. so i went back and told them to just put it in. they ended up making me sign some thing that i think said they werent responsible for any damage that may be caused. anyway they put it in and then get this...still charged me for fluids even though i brought my own and all they said was we dont really give discounts for bringing in your own fluids.

So this was about 1750 miles ago and it was butter till now. Shifting was sooo much better and i was not worried about 1-2 at all. but since around 1600 miles the 2-3 notchyness is comming back and ive gotten a 1-2 grind

1 - 20 of 27 Posts