8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Civic 2006 LX sedan. I always had a sway problem with the front of the car, especially in winter, I live in Quebec. The problem is worst if there is weigh in the trunk or people in the back seat, but even when I'm alone in the car, the front sway side to side. In heavy snow it's really bad. I tried different brand of winter tires, and it's a bit better if I put XL tire, but it still sway. I currently have 195/65r15 tires for winter and I have the original 16 inches mags for summer.

Do you have any recommendation for this? Do I need to modify the suspension, or something else would help maybe? Would it be better to keep the 16 inches for winter?
Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2008 ex. I do not have a problem with the sway as you stated but I do notice a slight wander of the front end at highway speeds when I am fully loaded. By fully loaded I mean driver and passenger and about 600 lbs of cargo all distributed in the trunk and rear seat. I would inspect front and rear sway bar for link and bushings for wear. If everything looks good and there is no play, then I would have the alignment checked. I do have all new struts and shock absorbers. I also keep the tires at 32psi at all times. When you say sway do you mean the front end is struggling for adhesion and tends to slide slightly due to front tires taking a turn at the road or do you mean body sway? The job of a stabilizer bar is totally different. For snow performance you need deep grooves of a fairly new tire or snow tires.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mine swings to the side (rear) when hitting a bump. In my case, its probably a Rear Upper Control Arm issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a 2008 ex. I do not have a problem with the sway as you stated but I do notice a slight wander of the front end at highway speeds when I am fully loaded. By fully loaded I mean driver and passenger and about 600 lbs of cargo all distributed in the trunk and rear seat. I would inspect front and rear sway bar for link and bushings for wear. If everything looks good and there is no play, then I would have the alignment checked. I do have all new struts and shock absorbers. I also keep the tires at 32psi at all times. When you say sway do you mean the front end is struggling for adhesion and tends to slide slightly due to front tires taking a turn at the road or do you mean body sway? The job of a stabilizer bar is totally different. For snow performance you need deep grooves of a fairly new tire or snow tires.
Its really the front of the car that swings left and right. If I'm on a dry road the car just never goes totally straight. But not that much. The problem gets worst with load in the back. And in winter it is worst on the snow, it doesn't go straight.

I've looked a bit on this forum and what I saw that made the most sense is the rear sway bar is maybe to thin on this model people were changing the rear sway bar with the SI or even with sway bar of 2014 civic SI, wich is even bigger and that it helped with this problem.

I talked to my mechanics about this and for now I think I will put my new snow tires on the 16 inches mags instead of the 15inches. And he think that it will help a lot in the snow. And if it doesn't help enough we will change the sway bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts