8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've read through most of the excellent suspension info posted by highrev1 and honda93 and such and have done quite a bit of suspension design myself (FSAE and grad level vehicle dynamics classes). I'm looking for some more input from people who have raced/modified FG2's or similar.

There seems to be a lot of arbitrary mixing and matching with aftermarket spring rates / RSBs on these forums. Having a slightly oversteering car can be the fastest way around a track (if that's your preference) but it can also be pretty dangerous on the road if overdone.

It seems that most individual mods still maintain understeer when used on their own (Progress RSB for ex.) but I could see combining poorly selected coilovers with a big RSB resulting in something potentially dangerous.

I've autoxed my FG2 a couple times and am trying to make it less pushy / more aggressive without overly compromising street safety. I don't want to wreck my car some rainy day on the highway for the sake of a slightly better time autoxing. My current plan is HFP susp with F/R camber kit and highrev's -1.75F/-1.25R or thereabout camber suggestions. I realize there are better setups out there for autox (koni yellow, etc) but at my current commitment level I think HFP is better value for me.

I'm a bit reluctant to go with a bigger RSB for the above reasons (as well as LCA/endlink issues). Also it seems the understeering issue with these cars is more related to crappy stock alignment than undersized RSB, correct me if I'm wrong.

Am I still going to be moaning and complaining about understeer with my current plans? Will a big RSB help 'too much'? Does VSA make this a moot point? (I'm also reluctant to trust that too much...)

Sorry this is a little long winded. I'm really just looking for comments/suggestions/horror stories (I snap oversteered into a wall, etc, etc).

Thanks

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I'd just go with your planned setup of HFP + more neg camber up front and see how you like that. Oversteer doesn't necessarily mean scary uncontrollable oversteer. If you're afraid of that I'd keep away from toe out in the rear.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i just have the rear progress and im not gettting lift over steer. it sucks that the bar is not adjustable like other progress bars in past.

i think you would be ok with the rear sway bar if you get the camber kits you can adjust that and adjust tire pressure to make it more neutral for street driving .

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Maybe you don't have to go 22mm Progress. If you want a RSB, but a little more effective than the current 17mm, you could always check out CT Engineering 19mm (adjustable, I believe to either ~30% and/or ~60%) over stock. Although I have no experience with RSB, but I thought I would shoot that idea your way of you aren't looking for something as aggressive as The Progress after you try what has already been suggested.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
i just have the rear progress and im not gettting lift over steer. it sucks that the bar is not adjustable like other progress bars in past.

i think you would be ok with the rear sway bar if you get the camber kits you can adjust that and adjust tire pressure to make it more neutral for street driving .
i get lift over steer with a stock rear sway...what are your alignment settings?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
oversteer

i get lift over steer with a stock rear sway...what are your alignment settings?
I dont understand how you get lift oversteer on stock setup when its setup to be understeer from factory.

I can get my car to oversteer if i do the so called scandanavian flick and toss my cars weight around. but im talking exiting a corner then lifting off throttle and the rear starts to slide out.

i dont see how thats possible unless your throwing the cars weight around
or you have some staggered wheel setup or something

my car suspension wise is stock

except for rear sway bar brackets and aftermarket endlinks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Eibach has a 19 mm solid rear sway bar, which comes in a kit with a 32 mm solid front sway bar. That's a healthy bump from the 28 mm front / 17 mm rear stock Si sway bar setup. Many people overlook upgrading the front sway bar as a tandem to upgrading the rear sway bar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.