8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. dont laugh to hard, but ive been thinking (and you know what happens when a man with ADHD thinks to hard)
My gf has a 98 camry, and weve been doing the basic upgrades (to hold her until her bonus and getting that TL type S) BUT really, its a camry

wouldnt it be fun, if i, sayyyy, did a f22 swap? i mean, its only a 5sfe, which has NO performance parts. And people have done the 3sgte swap, but again, not much for parts. your prolly saying (if you know toyotas) what about a 1mz-fe. and yes that seems easy, but it is a whole subframe swap, and again NO parts.... (toyota clearly has a fail on their hands)

SO, i have a few ideas.
cheap idea, i got a b21a1 sitting in the garage, plenty of parts available, just needs a rebuild and a good turbo. get a shop to fab mounting parts, and i do all the wiring myself.

better idea - K20 swap. but farrrr to expensive for my tastes, after all its a Toyota. lol

plausable in between. - grab a f22 of cl, and do that swap, plenty of parts around, not expensive, and a hell of a lot more reliable than that damn 5sfe

rediculous, I KNOW! please dont leave me a comment saying dont waste your time
i know its a waste of time, but its just some ideas. Ive heard of more ridiculous swaps (v12 in a CRX)

I think it would be a cool project. and in the end, i can drive a car, looking like a ricer, and blow the doors off a car next to me

the other choice is going with that 200 hp electric motor i found... i just would have to learn how to weld better lol and batteries are damn expensive!!!

ideas, comments, but please, i dont need to hear how retarded i am.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy an old supra and just call it a day... It will be cheaper and better in everyway
im well aware of that, that isnt the point

its to be over the top ridiculous
not to mention i already have coilovers, BBKs and other random fun stuff on the car. the Coilovers made a HUGE difference and actually made the car fun to drive, thats the surprising part

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4AGE out of a AE92 Corolla GTS fo sho
i figured there would be a toyota guy here. and see now theres an option i forgot.
the toyota guys have been quit useless on this topic. most say the best i can hope for in any swap is 250whp... im like come on, theres mR2s putting out FAR more than that

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I would only think that swap would be cool on an older, smaller Camry. The 98 is just too big to ever make it awesome. Why don't you sell the Camry and pick up a smaller, lighter project car to drop a F20 in? Then it really would be awesome. That just my 0.02, and we all know how much that's worth. :laughing:

·
Banned
53 Posts
Honestly this project sounds like a bad idea.

If you want more power out of it, fab up a cheap custom exhaust manifold and do a turbo setup on it.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
You've got to pay a shop to do up custom mounts.

You've got to pay a shop to do up a custom exhaust.

You've got to pay a shop to build you some custom axles.

Is the Camry a manual? If not, you've got to swap out the pedals. And you'll probably have to cut up your tunnel for your shifter. This probably also requires a custom mount of some kind for your shifter.

And I hope you're a wiring genius.

Sounds like a serious money pit. You'll spend tons of money and time into this car, and in the end you'll just be glad that it can move under it's own power. And then when you try and sell it, you'll get pennies for every dollar you've spent.

And in the end, no matter what engine is in it, it's still a Camry.

I'd tell her to save her money until she can just afford a better car.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly this project sounds like a bad idea.

If you want more power out of it, fab up a cheap custom exhaust manifold and do a turbo setup on it.
You've got to pay a shop to do up custom mounts.

You've got to pay a shop to do up a custom exhaust.

You've got to pay a shop to build you some custom axles.

Is the Camry a manual? If not, you've got to swap out the pedals. And you'll probably have to cut up your tunnel for your shifter. This probably also requires a custom mount of some kind for your shifter.

And I hope you're a wiring genius.

Sounds like a serious money pit. You'll spend tons of money and time into this car, and in the end you'll just be glad that it can move under it's own power. And then when you try and sell it, you'll get pennies for every dollar you've spent.

And in the end, no matter what engine is in it, it's still a Camry.

I'd tell her to save her money until she can just afford a better car.
best turbo the 5sfe has out there is only 200 hp. the V6 makes that.

as far as wiring goes, im alot better than you think ;-) and i got some help

as far as manual swap goes, theres already a whole for it, not an issue, (yes its an auto, but thats a cheap and easy swap)

you need more than just a turbo to make power on cars, and unfortunately there is NOTHING to make the 5sfe worth it.

like i said this is a fun project, and i have a friend who welds for a living, he said hed give me a hand with the fabbing exhaust components. he just wasnt so sure on the engine mounts

·
Banned
53 Posts
If your friend can weld, V6 swap, and then twin turbo, should be able to make a quick spooling 350hp out of it.

Or, go all out and get a 1JZ/2JZ and convert to RWD.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your friend can weld, V6 swap, and then twin turbo, should be able to make a quick spooling 350hp out of it.

Or, go all out and get a 1JZ/2JZ and convert to RWD.
i think a rwd application would be just too hard. id have to cut the car in half the long way and reweld all that back up. far too much custom work at that point for me. at least the other way the custom work is in one general area

problem with the V6 swap is i need to do a subframe swap, and to find a good condition subframe off a v6 is impossible

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
none that theyll sell the front end for lol
id have to haul away the whole car, no place for that at the moment. not to mention its 3 times harder to find the v6 in standard lol

i could always turbo the 1mz-fe, BUT the tuning will be nearly impossible since theres like nothing for software. Id have to pay big bux to have someone do a street tune for me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts