8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who would make the best track suspension megan- tien flex- koni groundscountrol any advice? and a stock sounding exhaust?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
As far as the "pr-builts" I would stay away if your serious about track driving..

“With all of the items that come with your coilovers the damper is the most expensive part that comes with the kit. A lot of companies promote the # of adjustment "clicks" on their dampers as a feature, with out posting a dynograph of the adjustment range of that damper.... well its time to start questioning why. Because "32 way adjustible" really tells me squat about the damper other then it is suposidly adjustible. It doesnt tell me what gets adjusted, it doesnt tell me the range in which those things get adjusted in. in order to lower costs, they end up using dampers of a more primitive design. you'll notice that most if not all use dampers that adjust both their bump valving and rebound valving with one knob. There's a reason for this, as dampers of this sort are easier to design and manufactur (theres only one set of Valve stacks that need to be turned with the adjuster, Vs ones where you only adjust rebound that have two sets of valve stacks, one that gets alterd by the adjustment knob and one that doesnt). Great for the company as they can sell their "coilovers" for less, bad for tuners because you now have an inferior damper. Also valving adjustment range tends to be very limited with the "cheep" coilovers.

In the whole, why would some one want a single adjustible damper to only adjust Rebound rather then Bump and rebound at the same time... well, that deals more with ride quality and how the car reacts to rough surfaces and impacts. See, bump valving has a much bigger influence on how the car reacts to impacts then rebound... It could be said that stiffer bump valving sort of Fakes a higher spring rate. The problem with that is, since they have the side effect of "faking" a stiffer spring, you are also "faking" a higher suspension frequency.... meaning the car will have less traction over bumps and rough surfaces. With a damper that adjusts bump and rebound at the same time, you end up running in to an issue of "I need stiffer valving to get the car to handle and respond the way I want, but I cant run to high of a bump valving with out making the car unstable in turns that arnt perfectly smooth"

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41081

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
:yeahthat: Read. Learn. Apply knowledge. Come to conclusion. Make a purchase. Test results. Enjoy results. Put a :biggrin: on your face.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks and your right they need a two way adjustible shock not just one they need to add compression i didnit know if someone made one

·
Registered
649 Posts
redline8500 said:
and whats a stikie?

stickie's are the posts at the top of the list of threads that are highlighted in blue. basically they are posts that have been regarded as containing important enough information to be made so that they they never leave the top of the first page.

this equaly vital information.
read them all, i highly recommend it. :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts