8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

301 - 320 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Toe in on the front will make it turn better. Toe in on the rear will make the back end stick more. Toe in also help with high speed stability. Toe out in the rear will cause the car to rotate and will usually end in snap oversteer. But you want some oversteer in a FWD car, otherwise, it will just push like a dump truck.

Once you get used to your current set up (i.e. track sessions or some auto cross), dial the rear toe to 0 and have fun getting the rear to rotate, with the front wheels being the pivot point. That's how you make a FWD car fast at the track.
Actually Toe Out in front will make the car turn better because of something called akerman, which is the name people give to why the inside front wheel in a turn needs to turn more than the outside wheel (because the inside wheel strikes a smaller radius arc). So, running toe out is definitely fastest... at least at normal speeds. At track speeds, sometimes scrub radius comes into play if you have a high hp car where the front toe changes with power on, where you might want to optimize your speed at the end of the straights for overtaking. :badger:

Toe in for the back is generally safe and very highly recommended for the street. Very few people run toe out in back, even on the track, but those who do are very fast. But it depends on what else is done to the car because if you are very camber limited (like the Civic is in SCCA Stock class autocross), then you have to max the rear toe to get the car to rotate.... although that was my experience before Stock class allowed rear swaybars; so perhaps that's a little different now?.... or maybe not.

Anyway, with a fancy coilover setup, I'd still run toe out in front if you want the car to turn well and probably a hair of toe out in back to start out, relaxing the rear toe when you are satisfied that it won't cause a bad spin at the wrong time. But the front toe out will make the tires wear super fast; so do it only for weekend events or if it's not a daily driver... if it's a daily driver, run zero front toe or as little toe in as possible if the zero toe makes the car feel vague in front on the street.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear shock replacement

Having KYB G2 shocks installed tomorrow. Do I need allignment done again after having 4 wheel alignment done last month.

·
Registered
68 Posts
help me (newb) understand springs "binding".

I have Skunk2 springs and Tokico blue's in the garage right now waiting for spring time and to pick up some camber arms/bolts over the winter to install on my wifes FA5. However after reading on the forum Eibach and Skunk2 commonly "bind".

What does this mean and what will I notice?

I drive Mazda with Racing Beat springs and have never heard binding as an issue.

Thanks
Ceuls

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im getting the hfp suspension, can I leave my oem camber on with them? Its my dd, so im fine with the alignment it comes from the factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
help me (newb) understand springs "binding".

I have Skunk2 springs and Tokico blue's in the garage right now waiting for spring time and to pick up some camber arms/bolts over the winter to install on my wifes FA5. However after reading on the forum Eibach and Skunk2 commonly "bind".

What does this mean and what will I notice?

I drive Mazda with Racing Beat springs and have never heard binding as an issue.

Thanks

Ceuls

Also a Newbie and would like to know the meaning of binding or was it explained in an earlier post

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

301 - 320 of 321 Posts