8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

281 - 300 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Si has been on tein springs stock struts for over a year now and i love the dropp. All of a sudden my tire blew out the night, now my dealership is telling me if i get a camber kit front and back it will fix my problem?!?

any commnets on my situation

·
Registered
5 Posts
bummp someone gimme a opnion please, i love my tein springs never had a problem until now i need a camber kit? what would be my best and cheapest bet ?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Negative camber doesn't increase in the front when lowered, however, it does in the rear by a good amount. I would deffinently recommend a rear camber kit to bring it close to factory specs to help reduce rear tire inside shoulder wear. Now, if your toe is off, that's going to eat tires much quicker than camber will. So, get the rear kit and get an alignment. That should bring you to a normal level of tire wear.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a question. I am running hfp suspension on my fg1. Camber -1.2 all-round, Toe 0. And I am still getting nasty rear inside tire wear.And It`s funny looking wear,with high and low spots.It can be seen on the pic. Should I just throw in garbage those "C" stamped oem camber arms and purchase after market ? What camber should I run ?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I have a question. I am running hfp suspension on my fg1. Camber -1.2 all-round, Toe 0. And I am still getting nasty rear inside tire wear.And It`s funny looking wear,with high and low spots.It can be seen on the pic. Should I just throw in garbage those "C" stamped oem camber arms and purchase after market ? What camber should I run ?

[URL=http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2447/civic015.jpg]image
[/URL]
i can't see your pic but... from what your describing it's toe wear, for the inside of the tire to look like that (when was the last time you got it aligned). -1.2 camber is not enough to cause severe inner tire wear. There is some statistic that for every degree of toe, its essentially dragging your tire sideways down the road, so many feet per mile.

The high/low spots can be attributed to blown shocks or bad tires.

Do you rotate them regularly?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I do rotate my tires... Had the same tire wear with stock suspension and stock camber arms. Bought brand new HFP and stock "C" camber arms... waited the suspension to settle and got aligned. As I said 0 toe , -1.2 camber. Bought new tires.... 3000 km lately I noticed the inside tire wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I do rotate my tires... Had the same tire wear with stock suspension and stock camber arms. Bought brand new HFP and stock "C" camber arms... waited the suspension to settle and got aligned. As I said 0 toe , -1.2 camber. Bought new tires.... 3000 km lately I noticed the inside tire wear.
Camber is not the issue IMO, I have run -2 camber with no wear issues.

I would take it back to the alignment shop. Mine shop has a warranty with each alignment. Ask them to check the specs.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
What would cause the rear to slide/jerk like it losses traction when i go over manhole cover? I just had my coil overs, camber arms installed and aligned...

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Your tires grip pavement far better than metal. Plus your stiffer sprigs and damping will cause it to bounce a little higher over the bump, thus loosing traction. All this is compounded if you hit the cover with the outside wheel when turning because there is more force being applied to the outside wheels.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
He said he set it up with a little toe in i think, he told me it will make it more responsive(He was German couldnt understand everything he said) . I had the alignment done at a race shop that usually only works on race cars.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Toe in on the front will make it turn better. Toe in on the rear will make the back end stick more. Toe in also help with high speed stability. Toe out in the rear will cause the car to rotate and will usually end in snap oversteer. But you want some oversteer in a FWD car, otherwise, it will just push like a dump truck.

Once you get used to your current set up (i.e. track sessions or some auto cross), dial the rear toe to 0 and have fun getting the rear to rotate, with the front wheels being the pivot point. That's how you make a FWD car fast at the track.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Toe in on the front will make it turn better. Toe in on the rear will make the back end stick more. Toe in also help with high speed stability. Toe out in the rear will cause the car to rotate and will usually end in snap oversteer. But you want some oversteer in a FWD car, otherwise, it will just push like a dump truck.

Once you get used to your current set up (i.e. track sessions or some auto cross), dial the rear toe to 0 and have fun getting the rear to rotate, with the front wheels being the pivot point. That's how you make a FWD car fast at the track.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Not really just a weekend warrior on the Nurburgring and Hokenheim... I noticed now since the alignment im about half a inch higher on the rear driver wheel. DAMN it!

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
That sounds like plenty experience to me. I say run a time or two with the new settings, see how they fell, then set the rear toe to 0, or at least closer to it (it gonna make the car a little more unstable during those elevation changes and fast sweepers at the ring, Hokenheim could use 0 toe in the rear, but you might just want to leave it as is for safer fun on the ring)

Did the shop corner balance your car? If so, that could explain the difference in height. If they did, ask if they did it with weight in the driver's seat. If not, have them do it again with you in the driver's seat

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Ya the measurments for height were about the same before i installed the camber arms(Think it was at -3.75 before) and had them set at -2 now its half an inch lower on one corner(Passenger Rear) and tire rubs when goin around corners just on the side its lower, all other corners are good. He seems like a cool guy so hopfully he hooks me up and dosnt make me pay another 120 Euro

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Decreasing the camber in the rear is going to bring the tire closer to the fender which will increase the chance of rubbing. Also, it's going to give the illusion that it's lower because it is closer to the fender. Best way to measure ride height is to measure from the middle of the hub, straight up to the fender. This should be done on the flattest ground you can find of course.

Getting the car corner balanced will really help handling.

281 - 300 of 321 Posts