8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over bumps there's a crunchy / squeaky noise that sounds like it's coming from my driver-side suspension. Not sure if control arm bushing or something to do with the shock/strut or maybe something else. I removed most of the loose pieces of the shock boot since it was pretty shredded.

I made a video and put it on YouTube if anyone wants to listen and have a guess at what's up. Shouldn't have put on my turn signal but the noise is still noticeable in the video. Doesn't happen just when turning even though I was in the video. It's bumps that make it happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I go over bumps there's a crunchy / squeaky noise that sounds like it's coming from my driver-side suspension. Not sure if control arm bushing or something to do with the shock/strut or maybe something else. I removed most of the loose pieces of the shock boot since it was pretty shredded.

I made a video and put it on YouTube if anyone wants to listen and have a guess at what's up. Shouldn't have put on my turn signal but the noise is still noticeable in the video. Doesn't happen just when turning even though I was in the video. It's bumps that make it happen.

hmmm interesting
View attachment 241910 View attachment 241909 View attachment 241911 View attachment 241912

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting note: since removing the wheel to have a look at things and putting it back on, the frequency and intensity of the noise has gone down noticeably. I'm not sure how that's possible, the only difference would be that I torqued the lug nuts down harder than they were on there before. I have more research to do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you dont have any loose hardware in the front end I'd lean towards the shock bushings/upper bearing. Did you have any noises before this? Creaking/crunch when turning? My girls car had a similar noise for awhile found the upper shock bearing was shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you dont have any loose hardware in the front end I'd lean towards the shock bushings/upper bearing. Did you have any noises before this? Creaking/crunch when turning? My girls car had a similar noise for awhile found the upper shock bearing was shot.
Everything seemed solid when I checked it. Never hear it from turning, just bumps. Seems like just about everything can cause noise from the suspension from my research. My initial gut feeling was that the problem was from the strut assembly though. I bought the car with 180k on it and I have no idea of the maintenance history. Has over 200k miles on it now and I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to just replace most everything. Probably won't get around to that until spring but when I do, I'll update this post with my findings. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever reach a conclusion on this? I believe my EX sedan with over 2000000 on it makes the same noise on an intermittent basis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you ever reach a conclusion on this? I believe my EX sedan with over 2000000 on it makes the same noise on an intermittent basis.
Afraid not. Started ordering parts though to try. Won't know for sure until I start replacing things in the spring. I'm wagering my issue is a strut or the strut bearing. Sorry I can't be more help but I'll update this thread once I find out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts