8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to get an oil change the other day at good year
half way done they said i had unusual tire wear and that it looked like my rear shocks are going out and my struts are overheating.

now i know a little bit about cars, but idk how this is happening after only 50,000 miles on my ex.

he asked if I've lowered the car and i said no

what do you guys think ?? bs?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Harsh roads, lots of extra weight, bad balance of the wheels and tires, bad alignments ect can all lead to premature shock failure. I have seen stock shocks go out in under 20k miles before, but then have also seen them last 200k.

Normally decent OEM style replacement shocks are not badly priced and work well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harsh roads, lots of extra weight, bad balance of the wheels and tires, bad alignments ect can all lead to premature shock failure. I have seen stock shocks go out in under 20k miles before, but then have also seen them last 200k.

Normally decent OEM style replacement shocks are not badly priced and work well.
hmmmm, i see :/

so what do you recommend ?
new ex shocks?
slightly used si shocks?
or just get aftermarket?

·
Registered
206 Posts
when given an opportunity to upgrade parts on your car always go with more performance :) Right now college hills honda has the HFP suspension for your car for $475.00

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when given an opportunity to upgrade parts on your car always go with more performance :) Right now college hills honda has the HFP suspension for your car for $475.00
thats what i was thinking
but is it a huge upgrade from the ex setup to be worth it?
and is the drop decent?
i want to slam it, just not hella flush

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hella flush comes with slamming and the right wheels. Not just ride height. HFP will give you about 1" so far from slammed but it should be a decent upgrade in performance. If you are just a DD with occasional spirited driving I think it would be fine. From a cost standpoint HFP, just replacing the shocks with what you have, or a used set of springs/shocks from an Si would be best.

·
Registered
519 Posts
understand , just stating

so hfp is looking the way to go....
Get the HFP, you will love it, it handles and rides soooooooooo good.

Its really cheap for what your getting.

I always see cars riding lowered and flush, then I see them hit lil bumps and sewers and the cars bounce all over the place.

HFP is a proper drop, plus you will love the handling and comfort, its like day & night difference.

·
Registered
295 Posts
thats what i was thinking
but is it a huge upgrade from the ex setup to be worth it?
and is the drop decent?
i want to slam it, just not hella flush
get the HFPs if you you're gonna replace the shocks anyway...but..

don't expect a huge drop with HFPs. the mild drop is just a bonus. If you're looking to slam it, you're looking at the wrong setup.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i don't want to slam it
where i live that wouldn't be wise

i just want to lower it a little
tuck it in
but at the same time have better setup then before

will the hfp last longer then normal coils?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I doubt they will last any longer and it def will not be low enough if u want to "tuck". I would suggest u get coilovers... you may try Megan. They are economically priced, adjustable, and ride good imo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.