8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently decided I am going to put the money into a supercharger (Probably JRSC) My current header/exhaust set up is a megan shorty with a RT HFC and a Magnaflow exhaust system. My question is, Is it safe to run a SC with these current mods? I am well aware it is not the most ideal setup for the most hp and I would like to upgrade to bigger piping eventually (Full Race 3in) but I just want to know if I will safely be able to enjoy my supercharger without damaging my current parts. I also like being able to pass emissions so I am really considering not changer my header setup if I don't have to. I would really appreciate some constructive feedback and if this has been covered, a point in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have recently decided I am going to put the money into a supercharger (Probably JRSC) My current header/exhaust set up is a megan shorty with a RT HFC and a Magnaflow exhaust system. My question is, Is it safe to run a SC with these current mods? I am well aware it is not the most ideal setup for the most hp and I would like to upgrade to bigger piping eventually (Full Race 3in) but I just want to know if I will safely be able to enjoy my supercharger without damaging my current parts. I also like being able to pass emissions so I am really considering not changer my header setup if I don't have to. I would really appreciate some constructive feedback and if this has been covered, a point in the right direction.
Yes, it's safe. 3 inch exhausts for a SC is a little bit of overkill... 2.5 inches is good enough (LSD, Vibrant, etc) Provided you buy some additional parts that are needed to run a SC. But for a recommended part, I suggest you get a cold air intake. It'll make a HUGE difference as you have a bottleneck now if you don't go for a CAI. Also recommended but not needed is some sort of boost gauge and maybe an air/fuel gauge.

What you need:

Injectors (Injector Dynamics or IDs are good injectors, RCs are just okay)
Injector Clips (cheap, but you need plug and play Honda clips to hold the injectors)
Some sort of tune (Flashpro is the best... they have a base map for the JRSC already preloaded on it which is alright, but it's suggested to get a custom dyno tune by a recommended shop)

But having a car with forced induction means more bills to pay. At some point you'll want to replace your clutch. You'll also go throw tires and brakes faster as well. Anything else, just ask... tons of info here.

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
3" exhaust is not overkill on a boosted car, it makes gains on a N/A car too.

The CAI intake is for lower IAT's.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am definitely going to consider a CAI and was also planning on a competition Stage 4 clutch. The magnaflow exhaust is actually only 2.25in piping so the FR seems worth it to me. Would a 2.5in flow better with the header/hfc? I'm really considering the JRSC with the fuel management. If I were to go w/o though could I possibly get everything cheaper? I don't really know the specifics on what kind of injectors, spark plugs, etc I would need to get. I'm hoping to come across some of the stuff I need here on the FS forums over time.

I forgot to add I already have an AEM SRI so would a CAI still be worth it?

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
Unless you have a HFC that has a 3" flange then you'll be using the 2.5" adapter from FR so you might as well look into either a 2.5" or 2.75" exhaust. Your setup will only flow as good as your HFC allows the exhaust to be expelled through the 2.5" flange of the HFC.

The worth is up to you about switching to the CAI.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am definitely going to consider a CAI and was also planning on a competition Stage 4 clutch. The magnaflow exhaust is actually only 2.25in piping so the FR seems worth it to me. Would a 2.5in flow better with the header/hfc? I'm really considering the JRSC with the fuel management. If I were to go w/o though could I possibly get everything cheaper? I don't really know the specifics on what kind of injectors, spark plugs, etc I would need to get. I'm hoping to come across some of the stuff I need here on the FS forums over time.

I forgot to add I already have an AEM SRI so would a CAI still be worth it?

Here's what you need if you go without the fuel kit:

-Injectors (Either RC 650ccs - they are okay, or ID 725ccs - much better injectors)
-Flashpro (A custom tune is recommended, but you can just load up the base map for the JRSC yourself if you really cant get tuned)
-Injector clips (Honda plugnplay style)
-1 step colder plugs

^That's EVERYTHING that is needed. A CAI would really help, but again is not needed.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does the kit with the fuel management come with RC 650ccs? I'll start checking the FS section. Looks like a whole kit went for 2150!!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I know this is kind of an irrelevant question, but about how much hp/tq would I be making if I left my header set up the way it is and switched to a CAI and a bigger exhaust? What about if I just threw on the SC with my current setup? Trying to decide if emmissions is really that important. Also, I'm debating between 2.5in exhaust and 3in/70mm. Trying to decide if all the noise is worth it. I'm thinking of going for a used s2 70mm or maybe even a tsudo system. I don't need a brand new exhaust. (Although the full race one would be sweet)

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
I just installed the FR 3" exhaust on my car & it replaced the S2 70mm. What a night & day difference is db levels between the two systems.

You would gain more with a true RH instead of a shorty header & HFC. I would say a 2.5 exhaust will more than likely give you plenty of power, unless you have your heart set on a 70mm exhaust. There are two quiet options @ 70mm which is the Invidia Q300 & the T1R. Now if you want to wake the dead then get the S2 or Tsudo.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I just installed the FR 3" exhaust on my car & it replaced the S2 70mm. What a night & day difference is db levels between the two systems.

You would gain more with a true RH instead of a shorty header & HFC. I would say a 2.5 exhaust will more than likely give you plenty of power, unless you have your heart set on a 70mm exhaust. There are two quiet options @ 70mm which is the Invidia Q300 & the T1R. Now if you want to wake the dead then get the S2 or Tsudo.
LOL wake the dead, thats really funny haha.

I'd say go CAI if anything... half the intake temps... and a race header will really open things up quite a bit.

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as half the IAT's with a CAI. Do you have some datalogged proof to back that statement?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it seems like a CAI would be worth it. I know it already gets hot in there and I'm sure with the SC it will be even more hot. I wanna look into the AEM CAI v2. If I got 2.5in I would be looking either vibrant or maybe just a custom 2.5in midpipe with an N1 style muffler because I really like the look of them. As for a header if I were to go full RH then I would probably go with the Kidd Racing header unless I find a better deal on something else used. Then again, I'm still not sure on changing the header. If emissions didn't exist this would be easier...

PS Anyone looking for a AEM short ram? lol

1 - 20 of 61 Posts