8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
S/C's get hot as well. I'd actually be more favorable towards a turbo because a S/C runs off your motor, just adding more strain to it.
+1 for that. S/C can end up creating just as much heat as the turbo at higher levels of boost. why do you think Redshift is using FMIC with there stage 2+? the real truth is there isnt anyway to measure which is more reliable... they both are adding stress. there are too many variables to take into consideration. if you are worried about something breaking DONT BOOST.

·
Registered
877 Posts
"the whole point of forced induction is to create more cylinder pressure, and it will wear the engine faster that lower cylinder pressures. If I had to put a mileage on it, I'd say 5 psi won't affect longevity much. 8 psi may reduce it a bit, and 10 psi will be even more than 8. So, if you get 300k out of a N/A honda engine, then 5 psi might give you 280k. 8 psi might give you 240k. 10 psi might only give you 180k. It also depends how much you are in boost obviously.
The recommendation I give to people is that 10 psi is safe but will reduce engine life some. 8 psi is similar, but it's a safer option that offers power with longevity. And 5 psi will wear more or less the same as the stock engine.
But remember always that the tuning knowledge behind a forced induction product is key; so make sure the engine management is good and you'll be fine."

^sticky from the great chris @ redshift

·
Registered
201 Posts
+1 for that. S/C can end up creating just as much heat as the turbo at higher levels of boost. why do you think Redshift is using FMIC with there stage 2+? the real truth is there isnt anyway to measure which is more reliable... they both are adding stress. there are too many variables to take into consideration. if you are worried about something breaking DONT BOOST.
A supercharger can be used with no intercooler under certain levels of boost,try running a turbo without one. In terms of engine compartment temperature a turbo is much higher than a supercharger which is destructive to components. Have you seen a supercharger glow red ?

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Preference is a HUGH part of it.

But turbos require you to keep spending money and from the people that I have talked to with SC's say its pretty much just like stock on the maintance side of things.

Myself would prefer turbo, but not on a everyday driver. ( i have recent be giving serious thought on SC'ing my car (everydriver, thats why).. and i've always been a turbo ONLY type of person)

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
A supercharger can be used with no intercooler under certain levels of boost,try running a turbo without one. In terms of engine compartment temperature a turbo is much higher than a supercharger which is destructive to components. Have you seen a supercharger glow red ?
think what you want man. a supercharger isnt any more or less safe than a good turbo setup.

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
A supercharger creates nowhere near the heat of a turbo,and turbos create backpressure which also contributes heat.
Ok, I never said that a S/C runs hotter than a turbo. All I pointed out was that a S/C does, in fact, run hot. And I also pointed out that a S/C runs off the engine whereas a turbo does not. So in my mind, a turbo wears out a motor less than a S/C. I have no evidence or anything to back that claim up, that's just how I see it in mind.

·
Registered
877 Posts
"the whole point of forced induction is to create more cylinder pressure, and it will wear the engine faster that lower cylinder pressures. If I had to put a mileage on it, I'd say 5 psi won't affect longevity much. 8 psi may reduce it a bit, and 10 psi will be even more than 8. So, if you get 300k out of a N/A honda engine, then 5 psi might give you 280k. 8 psi might give you 240k. 10 psi might only give you 180k. It also depends how much you are in boost obviously.
The recommendation I give to people is that 10 psi is safe but will reduce engine life some. 8 psi is similar, but it's a safer option that offers power with longevity. And 5 psi will wear more or less the same as the stock engine.
But remember always that the tuning knowledge behind a forced induction product is key; so make sure the engine management is good and you'll be fine."

^sticky from the great chris @ redshift
Can we just stick to the obvious rule? Higher PSI, More wear. Lower PSI, Less wear.
^Ding Ding Ding...sums it up

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
think what you want man. a supercharger isnt any more or less safe than a good turbo setup.
Only thing is there is no good turbo setups for our cars as of right now lol

Can we just stick to the obvious rule? Higher PSI, More wear. Lower PSI, Less wear.
:yeahthat: Most brilliant person I have ever met. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.