8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, im a huge Super Street reader. And I was flippin through this months issue, and found a small colum on the Mugen Si. Well, i have nothin to do today considering all my friends are to busy with work and my girlfriends away. I might as well post it right? Well i went to the web site they don't have the article. So i decided to write it up from the magazine myself. The following is NOT my words. But I did type all of it (not copied and pasted). So I now present the Mugen Si Super Street Article------Ps. The only Picture in the article was 1 Mugen Si photo off the internet, so no big deal if theres no pics. This is for all the non-Super Street Readers.

We're not sure if JDM Honda fans will take this as the good, the bad, or the ugly---this being the release of the 2008 Civic Mugen Si Sedan. The good is the fact that this is the first official Mugen-baged Honda product to come to the US. The bad is that any philistine can just walk into a Honda dealership and drive off in a Mugen'd Si Sedan, thus reducing some of the mystique and exclusivity shrouding this "unofficial" Honda tuning partner. The ugly concerns Hondas estimated retail price of "less than $30,000."
That's not to say that this isn't a good car; in fact, it's greatly improved over the already lusty Si Sedan. The Mugen Si (only available as a sedan and only offered in Fiji Pearl Blue) comes with firmer springs and dampers, 18x7.5 forged GP wheels with 215/40ZR18 BFG rubber, "sport-tuned exhaust", and complete aero package including a front spoiler, grille, side skirts, rear bumper diffuser, and rear wing. Inside you get a Mugen limited edition placard on the center console (only 1,000 will be offered for the '08 model year) and a Mugen aluminum shift knob.
We sampled the car at Mid-Ohio on a brief street loop, and we found the chassis balance to be superb, even though we took it out on the track immediately after driving the hotter than your average Civic S2000 CR. The suspension was valved nicely for the track and not overly so for the street, and the KDWs gripped well, but the fronts didn't last as long as the CR's, mostly because they were tasked with steering and powering the Mugen Si. The minimalist 16.98 pound forged aluminum wheels (27 percent lighter than the stock 17s) didn't turn in like most plus sized wheels and thier lightness also helps reduce that dreaded unsprung weight.
The Si Sedan may not be the best looking car, but the Mugen aero bits do remove some of the Pirus from it's apperance. While the Mugen exhaust dosen't add any power, it does sound good at WOT. But therein lies the challenge. The Civic Mugen Si may handle, look, and sound better than a base Si Sedan but without a power bump, it makes it hard to justify a price nearing Evo and STI levels. No matter-the limited run, the factory warranty and the fact that the price of the Mugen hardware alone would inflate any new Civic to the $30K range makes this car hard to resist. Now, JDMers, all we need to do is unite and pick up all of these Mugen Si Sedans before the posers get in on the secret.

This was writen by John Naderi a editor in Super Street. I swear to god that I typed all of this off of the Super Street Magazine sitting right next to me. I'll get some more stuff out if I find it interesting. Super Street isn't some Car and Driver magazine. This is imports (evos/nissans/hondas/jdm) all that good stuff. I highly recommed picking up a copy of one of these. Fun magazine that will last you a while, not like other boring ones (no offence its my opinion). I found the pic they used in the article. Rep would be appriceated. Now i think im gonna post something about an S2000. Whos up for that??

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So you guys want the Honda S2000 CR article tommorow or what? I don't want to waist my time for something no one will apprieciate. So start now so I will know if I should post it tommorow.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Well, im a huge Super Street reader. And I was flippin through this months issue, and found a small colum on the Mugen Si. Well, i have nothin to do today considering all my friends are to busy with work and my girlfriends away. I might as well post it right? Well i went to the web site they don't have the article. So i decided to write it up from the magazine myself. The following is NOT my words. But I did type all of it (not copied and pasted). So I now present the Mugen Si Super Street Article------Ps. The only Picture in the article was 1 Mugen Si photo off the internet, so no big deal if theres no pics. This is for all the non-Super Street Readers.

We're not sure if JDM Honda fans will take this as the good, the bad, or the ugly---this being the release of the 2008 Civic Mugen Si Sedan. The good is the fact that this is the first official Mugen-baged Honda product to come to the US. The bad is that any philistine can just walk into a Honda dealership and drive off in a Mugen'd Si Sedan, thus reducing some of the mystique and exclusivity shrouding this "unofficial" Honda tuning partner. The ugly concerns Hondas estimated retail price of "less than $30,000."
That's not to say that this isn't a good car; in fact, it's greatly improved over the already lusty Si Sedan. The Mugen Si (only available as a sedan and only offered in Fiji Pearl Blue) comes with firmer springs and dampers, 18x7.5 forged GP wheels with 215/40ZR18 BFG rubber, "sport-tuned exhaust", and complete aero package including a front spoiler, grille, side skirts, rear bumper diffuser, and rear wing. Inside you get a Mugen limited edition placard on the center console (only 1,000 will be offered for the '08 model year) and a Mugen aluminum shift knob.
We sampled the car at Mid-Ohio on a brief street loop, and we found the chassis balance to be superb, even though we took it out on the track immediately after driving the hotter than your average Civic S2000 CR. The suspension was valved nicely for the track and not overly so for the street, and the KDWs gripped well, but the fronts didn't last as long as the CR's, mostly because they were tasked with steering and powering the Mugen Si. The minimalist 16.98 pound forged aluminum wheels (27 percent lighter than the stock 17s) didn't turn in like most plus sized wheels and thier lightness also helps reduce that dreaded unsprung weight.
The Si Sedan may not be the best looking car, but the Mugen aero bits do remove some of the Pirus from it's apperance. While the Mugen exhaust dosen't add any power, it does sound good at WOT. But therein lies the challenge. The Civic Mugen Si may handle, look, and sound better than a base Si Sedan but without a power bump, it makes it hard to justify a price nearing Evo and STI levels. No matter-the limited run, the factory warranty and the fact that the price of the Mugen hardware alone would inflate any new Civic to the $30K range makes this car hard to resist. Now, JDMers, all we need to do is unite and pick up all of these Mugen Si Sedans before the posers get in on the secret.

This was writen by John Naderi a editor in Super Street. I swear to god that I typed all of this off of the Super Street Magazine sitting right next to me. I'll get some more stuff out if I find it interesting. Super Street isn't some Car and Driver magazine. This is imports (evos/nissans/hondas/jdm) all that good stuff. I highly recommed picking up a copy of one of these. Fun magazine that will last you a while, not like other boring ones (no offence its my opinion). I found the pic they used in the article. Rep would be appriceated. Now i think im gonna post something about an S2000. Whos up for that??

You want rep? Haha. You want a review over the Mugen Si? Here it goes...

Nice ass civic, handles well with decent power, very rare but for 30k you have got to be out your damn mind.-KingMarineM16A4

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^nah im not into that kinda stuff. And I know its obvious for the Mugen. Ill post up the S2000 CR article tommorow, im pretty sure theres not alotta words out on that one

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Wait, is this the magazine with the front that has S2KRAZY!!! Like the s2k is called white dragon or some crap like that? It also has teh Evo X review in there too? I think I have that magazine sitting in my backpack

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
what a useless post :pat:

you must think your opinion takes priority over any magazine article.
+1 to the OP. Nice write up.
He didn't write anything just copied it. Also I got repped twice for that comment so i'm just assuming that not everyone thinks it is the car for the money. Also, I give my opinion I didn't say it overrides the magazines statements.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts

How stupid do you think i am... You may have typed it yourself but you didn't write it and that was my point.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
BTW I don't like super street, not that it matters. They have a lot of "riced" out cars and a lot of performance part business' in their magazine. Tell them to cut it. Car and drive, Motor Trend, Road & Track are magazines I love, with test drives, comparisons and awesome OEM pictures. Honda tuning> all.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ I liked Modified Mag too. And what I ment to say was, i swear to god I typed all of this. I wasent thinking when i said i wrote all of this, i ment that i typed it all ok? Lol, kool, well, after work tommorow ill be sure to put up an S2000 article. And for all of u who dont really like it, then I say dont open the thread when I post it. All im trying to do is make a few people happy. The S2000 is really helpful article tho, its long a hell too. Its gonna be alot better than this one, mainly bc everyone on here already knows what the diffrence between a regular si and a Mugen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.