8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so before doing this i was dreading installing the HID lights because they said to remove the wheels and pull back the fender lining.....phyuck that!! i did that once and almost died! then i called it a day. i thought...there has to be a better way to install these lights!!! then i found it!!!

no wheel removal
no fender liner removal

first start by jacking your car up (not a must but its an helpful move)
second un-do ur bumper, letting your bumper hang, removing the 2 screws by the wheel and the 2 screws (allen wrench i think 5mm) next to the radiator.
next get a 10mm and unscrew this part:

(passanger side)
remove 2 of those screws that are holding the fender lining, this is for installing the lightbulb.

pictures after the install:

also remove the plugs that hold the wires, it allows for more wiggle room:

= ) accidently broke the drivers side!

ok on the drivers side its a bit different switch the ballast holder to the other side, so that it covers the logo side. see next two pics:

how it should look like installed behind the bumper:

installed drivers side:

from the top view after i removed radiator fluid reservoir/battery:

dont forget to completely remove both parts of the case thats protecting the HID bulb

also when installed the metal part should be pointing downward
also to make the bulb make it a PERFECT fit remove the brown 0 surronding the bulb, and exchange it with your HID bulb (these bulbs are the ones im replacing, thanks to "tehcodeman" for pointing it out)

tada!!!!!!!!! ill post pics of the after, i did this at 1230pm waiting for night time. i hope this helps. the other thread did not help me at all, so i hope this helps us other visiual learners

pm me or post comments if you need help

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Okay, two things:

1) Is it just me, or is that an odd HID bulb? Mine looks much different from that - more like a Phillips HID bulb. That one looks like a standard halogen with blue tint.
2) The "brown O" that you're referring to is used to keep water/moisture from entering the headlight housing. Sure you wanna do that?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, two things:

1) Is it just me, or is that an odd HID bulb? Mine looks much different from that - more like a Phillips HID bulb. That one looks like a standard halogen with blue tint.
2) The "brown O" that you're referring to is used to keep water/moisture from entering the headlight housing. Sure you wanna do that?
AHAHAH good eye!!! that was my old bulb i upgraded from. and i meant to remove it to exhange it with the one from the HID bulb. thanks for the heads up!:wheee:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE!! night pics help me out its been a while since i ordered these but i think they are 6000k because the 8000k are too blue for me, but now that i have these i wished i got the 8000k. these are too white for me = :)

the next two pics are with the high beams on, i dont know if you can tell the whiteness off the low beam and the blueish of the high beams

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
ok this isnt very intuitive to be honest. I have no idea what parts u are talking about
im thinking so far the best is bending back the wheel well liner as orient did, it seems u had to anyways
technically u dont have to pull it all the way back like orient did, and he said that
its accessible with only 3 tabs or so removed per side
also those seem entirely too close to the airbag sensors from the looks
not to mention u had to remove a few parts, like the washer fluid reservoir
not a requirement for those who just peel back the wheel well liner

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ae you just wedging the ballasts in the fender, or are you actually mounting them? It appears that your solution has the potential of letting the ballast flop around in the fender, and possibly interfering with the airbag deployment sensor.

Can you be more specific in your mounting technique?

If the ballasts are not securely mounted in the fender, this is not a recommended mounting technique.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe a duh, comment but..... Be sure to wear some latex gloves when your holding the bulb. No oils or grease allowed on bulb or else POP!!!!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys are all kidding right? i removed that one screw, placed the ballast behind it making sure i put the screw back in holding the ballast. period. also i didnt remove the wheel nor the fender liner, i dont know why tda1337 said i had to anyways. furthermore, removing the coolant is easier than both wheels and both fender liners, right? 1 (coolant reservoir) vs 4 (2 wheels 2 fender liners), this is an alternative, obviously not a must. just another way to install the HID.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ae you just wedging the ballasts in the fender, or are you actually mounting them? It appears that your solution has the potential of letting the ballast flop around in the fender, and possibly interfering with the airbag deployment sensor.

Can you be more specific in your mounting technique?

If the ballasts are not securely mounted in the fender, this is not a recommended mounting technique.
look at picture 2 thats the screw im removing and screwing in place behind it the ballast. = ( no one look at the pictures? its super easy! no need to remove.....im starting to sound redundant

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe a duh, comment but..... Be sure to wear some latex gloves when your holding the bulb. No oils or grease allowed on bulb or else POP!!!!
ahahh i think....think that i touched the bulb....but im waiting for the pop you describe. = )

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good post!
did it help you? because apparently our companions dont believe i was thorough although theres only 1 (one) thats right 1 screw too install the HID....also remove 2 of those fender liner screws on the passanger side, and the coolant on the drivers side...apparently its easier to remove the front wheels and fender liner. isnt that right tda1337?? and if you have a CAI the driver side clip (thats closest to the intake) is close to impossible to place back. but again those are my two cents:readtherules:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haters! If you don't like it, then quit posting and don't use his info! It's a good diy, but I just peeled back my liners, I had plenty of room considering I wasn't dropped yet.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::woot::woot::woot::bighug::bighug:THANKS SKUNK2CIVIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kisssmiley::kisssmiley::kisssmiley: thanks man i felt stupid cuz i was like....ummm sorry for a good diy. cuz before finding this out, i was gonna do it the other way. and i was like damn it! it takes me 30 mins to get the front car on two stand, get the wheels off, and the liners pulled back....when you can do this whole set up in 15 mins.... and also the place where orient said to place them, i was like.......where???? and the nuts and bolts that came with the package were cheap! so instead i used the own cars nuts. skunk2civic i thank you!:bighug::kisssmiley::woowoo:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
WOW... that's special kid
a) did u or did u not take two nuts off the liner??
wait for it? oh yes u did
b) therefore if you READ orients setup he EXPLAINS that its not NECESSARY to take the liner completely off, that it just HELPS
;-)
but you woulda got that before you tried to hijack his thread with information he ALREADY had in the main thread.

also lets think about this for a second
all 4 wheels come off the car in a matter of 2 mins or so
and u dont have to worry about their being any coolant leaks
but im glad u cared about contaminating your coolant line :)

it does NOT take 30 mins to do that lol
ifit does take u 30mins u shouldnt be working on a car AT ALL
and if you did get the oils on ur hands, the bulb life is shortened considerably
not necessarily a pop, may end up being a slow leak

the nuts orient used were off the car too

to me that looked like it was still mounted too close to that airbag sensor, could be a bad angle pic

its just funny how some people are super offended when all they did was steal some parts from someone else and not even read the whole post.

id love to see the line in orients that says "you have to remove the whole wheel well liner"
its SUGGESTED so you have plenty of access to get a torque wrench in there :)

best DIY is still orient
MY 2 cents ;-)
i think im starting to sound redundant as well

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
b) therefore if you READ orients setup he EXPLAINS that its not NECESSARY to take the liner completely off, that it just HELPS
;-)
but you woulda got that before you tried to hijack his thread with information he ALREADY had in the main thread.

and if you did get the oils on ur hands, the bulb life is shortened considerably

to me that looked like it was still mounted too close to that airbag sensor, could be a bad angle pic

its just funny how some people are super offended when all they did was steal some parts from someone else and not even read the whole post.

id love to see the line in orients that says "you have to remove the whole wheel well liner"

best DIY is still orient
MY 2 cents ;-)
it took me less than 30 mins to install my HIDs and yea your right i took off nut clips ON THE PASSANGER SIDE ONLY

and yea your right i stole his DIY, except the removing the wheels part and the fender liner, and pushing the fender liner behind the axle...wow thats like the whole DIY. his main DIY is the wheel fender liner. i said "MY super easy HID install" im letting everyone know another way of installing the HID's...
if i had a choice, id do it my way rather than his way. though removing the wheels and fender sounds tempting...but naaaaa...my ways better. = )

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
;-)

best DIY is still orient
MY 2 cents ;-)
come to think about it...nothing leaked...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts