8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when do you guys take your summer tires off and put on winter, and when do you switch back to summer?

post up what state you're from too.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
northern NJ

im planning on switching in the beginning of december but just to save my wheels... i have nitto neogens which are ultra high performance all seasons so they will be able to handle cold temperatures, but i just dont want potholes and salt owning my wheels.. im not looking forward to running my stock wheels and tires

if you have strictly summer rubber id probably switch it out before it gets too cold... even if there isnt any snow yet

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
PA - As soon as we get the first significant snowfall/forecast...basically if salt trucks are going to be putting salt down.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Im not doing anything! If it snows big enough here in CO for me not to move anywhere with the all-seasons, it probably wont go anywhere with snows.

Im actually very excited to see what the VSC can do in the snow.

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
Vancouver Canada here eh...lol

Switched to stock rims and tires about a month ago, getting winter tires put on today after work. I was running toyo T1R's. Didnt want to wear them out in the colder weather. I will be putting my 18's back on in March I am hoping.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
my winter tires/steelies were put on the weekend that just passed... she's also waxed and ready for the good ol canadiana winter!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am running summer tires w/ a very low tread rating and can "feel" when it gets too cold for them to function. The tires get too hard to really grip well and will spin w/ the least amount of gas input. I will be switching mine out this weekend. Car is, however, not a dialy driver and only gets driven sparingly. I live near Pittsburgh, PA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in Nashville and I'm not sure what to do. I inquired at the dealership and they said, "don't worry about it." We hardly get any snow here, but it *can* happen. It can also get pretty cold. I have the 17" Michelin Z-rated tires on there now. Not really up for spending a lot of $ on new tires, but I also need to be able to get back and forth from work!

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You could mount some all season for the "winter" down there if you are really concerned. I was visiting a friend from TN once and they got like 1" of snow, and the entire city pretty much shut down...he said b/c they only had one plow for his entire city (due to not getting snow hardly ever).

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could mount some all season for the "winter" down there if you are really concerned. I was visiting a friend from TN once and they got like 1" of snow, and the entire city pretty much shut down...he said b/c they only had one plow for his entire city (due to not getting snow hardly ever).
I was considering all-seasons as opposed to snow tires (I think that would be overkill).

Maybe it would be a good excuse to go for the HFP rims for the summer!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
im thinkin about buyin rims that come with blizzak ws-50 snow tires, are they good for moderate (NJ) winters or are they just gonna perform crappy?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Snow tires are meant for snow so don't expect great performance. Then again, who is trying to corner hard with snow and ice on the roads :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put my winter tires on last friday (no snow on the ground) and now theres snow on the ground, some people don't put them on till it snows... others put them on pre-snow. just try to put them on as close to snow fall as possible. driving on winter tires when there isn't snow leads to them wearing out sooner. not to mention... with W/T you cant take those clover leaves at 120 kms. lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
FedEx dropped off my new Blizzacs with steel rims today from tirerack.com. No doubt they will do the trick - great tread pattern and rugged tires. I just hate the thought of putting these ugly wheels on my new Sidan! Ah well, yet another thing to look forward to in the Spring.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts