8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how big of a difference do these make? how do you guys like them? is it possible to drive on them through winter?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
As I don't have them, I can't comment -- but I did go from the A/S to Summer Performance tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE070's) and cannot comment truly on how much difference it makes! The Pilot Exaltos will grip better, and screech less than the Pilot MXM4s.

As far as myself goes, I found the MXM4's a little lacking. Too much tire noise, not enough grip, and slightly soft. On an onramp close to my house (210 W, Azusa onramp) I'd barely hit 40 and I was scared my car would lose it as the tires were screeching like banshees. It's a rather high banked turn too, so I may have been able to push 45-50 if I really pushed, if I wasn't already scared spitless.

But, with my Bridgestones, I pushed it to 55-ish today, redline in 2nd gear. It inspired confidence, and I had my windows down, and the only screech I heard was on the apex, when I pushed the throttle to the floor. This is the only real "performance" mod on my car, other than my lighter, wider wheels, btw.

But, again, I can't compare to the Exalto's, but I can say that the MXM4's are rubbish. Get the summer if you can. Summer tires are not made for winter, but I would recommend getting them anyway. Then spend a little more coin for some winter Blizzaks and hubs.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I only use my summer tires in the winter, take off my summer wheels in the winter and put the stocks back on.....to tell you the truth they aren't "great" but they aren't that bad either...the only thing is the traction, if there is snow on the ground (which there normally is in the winter) you can't really feel when they grip.

·
Banned
717 Posts
There is a massive difference between a summer tire, all-season tire and winter tire. It starts with the rubber compound. Rubber is not just rubber...there are many different types and formulas. Summer rubber has great traction, but wears out faster and freezes up in winter conditions. any temps below 35 is bad for summer tires. in fact, read a few spec sheets and they can actually chip away or shatter if hit hard enough. needless to say, they are no good in cold conditions alone let alone snowy.

all seasons are a mix of a different compount that can withstand the colder conditions, thus making them at least usable in snow. how well they do depends on the tread design, components, etc.

winter tires use rubber that stays more flexible in extremem cold, but if used in the summertime, wear incredibly fast and unevenly.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
the summer tires are actually cheaper than the all season....yet honda charges you $200 more for them.

i wouldnt get them. if ou want better tires, buy them yourself.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I was very disappointed with the A/S Michelin's that came with the car, so much so, that I immediately looked for an alternative. Since I really didn't want to have two sets of tires and since I live in Minnesota, I looked for an ultra-high performance A/S tire. I found that in the brand new Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tire.

I posted a thread about this if you would like to read it:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47651

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I got the summer tires and would not use them in the winter at all. I could tell they were starting to lose grip once it got into the 40s. Then for the first snow there was a dusting, I mean barely anything on the ground and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I bought a set of winter tires and had them put on immediately. I can't compare the summer tires to all season, but if it gets cold where you live and you get any snow at all, you'll need a second set of tires if you go with the summer tires.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
i have them and love them but i live in cali so theres no winters here that get 35 degrees, last year the coldest i saw it go was 50 degress so i use the summers all year long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts