8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We freeze mabbe 2 weeks a year and our cold season is in the 40's. Is this cold enough to have to go with all seasons?

I want to choose the best tires for my setup and I am debating just going with something all season for my new wheels. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
i'm pretty sure that summer tires are summer tires because of the tread, meaning that if you arent getting snow then ya go for the summer tires

oh man, i wish i could rock summer tires all year round... but then again i love the feel of a car pulling in the winter time with a CAI :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought tires.

Nitto neo-gen 225/40/18 for 539.00 installed!

Gotta love price matching at discount tire. =)

·
Banned
133 Posts
It's the temp that is the problem, the snow and ice after that. The soft tread is hard as a rock and don't grip for **** below abotu 40...your results might vary, but that's what I've been *told*.

·
Registered
393 Posts
S Eye said:
It's the temp that is the problem, the snow and ice after that. The soft tread is hard as a rock and don't grip for **** below abotu 40...your results might vary, but that's what I've been *told*.
Correct.. it's not so much the tread as the rubber compound used.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Texas weather is very unpredictable. Look at how much it's rained this year. Don't chance it during the winter. It's unsafe for you and those driving in your proximity

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
tukai said:
I wouldn't do it. Texas weather is very unpredictable. Look at how much it's rained this year. Don't chance it during the winter. It's unsafe for you and those driving in your proximity
I had to drive the S2000 in the ice with summer tires on it winter of '05/'06, not something I'll ever do again. Good all-seasons in the winter for me. I think I'm going to pick up a second set of rims for summer tires.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
id say do it. should be okay just be extra careful when its cold.

geez wish i could run summer tires all year round. it would be sucicide in iowa though, the winters here suck.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It's the other guy !!!!!

I've always run comp type tires and I have lived in Texas all my life. Only one problem that I have found is "all the other drivers that don't have a clue how to drive on ice and snow". I just stay home until the crap melts which last about a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts