8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible? or is it pretty much a requirement you NEED to switch out to all season

·
Registered
842 Posts
Serious? Maybe you can get away with that if you put chains on your tires. Otherwise it is a requirement. Summer tires will give you little to no traction in the snow. Get winter tires, obviously the difference is in the tread pattern.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Your gonna have to switch out. Its recommended to get a pair of steelies and caps with winter tires on for the show.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
if you are going to switch out, switch to a set of winter tires... if you aren't switching out and would rather go a little cheaper, you can buy yourself a set of steelies with all season already on them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You will not move with summer tires in the snow. I got caught a little snow storm last year and could not move my Si at all. I had to get rides to work for 2 days.
In my experience, if you live in a state where they pace the roads as soon as it snows, NJ as an example, you don't need winter tires. A good set of all season tires, like the Continental ContiExtremes, will do a great job. But if you live more north where the snow storms are more extreme and they don't plow right away, then yes, consider winter tires. Just remember that most winter tires are not recommended at speeds above 50. In addition, most of the grip that winter tires provide in the snow is on the top layer of the tread on the tire. If you drive with winter tires on fry pavement at speeds above 50 you will wear that layer of snow tread much quicker, which is essentially is a waist of money
All seasons + slow driving= you will be ok.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
^^ probably means waste of money... there are different kinds of winter tires... my high perf winter tires are rated up to 130 mph... not that i'll ever go that fast..

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Do not, I repeat, do not use summer tires in snow. I know, I found out the hard way. I had Bridgestone RE-71 summer high performance tires on a 16v Scirocco. I got caught in a freak snowstorm of epic proportions. I could barely get out of the parking lot at my job.

Coming home, I have never been so terrified while driving in my entire life. The car was so squirrely, so dangerous, I couldn't turn or stop. I came off an exit ramp of the freeway which went downhill. I couldn't stop my car and slid right through the intersection and went across the intersection almost to the entrance ramp across the way. Somehow, miraculously, I made it home.

The problem with summer tires is the rubber compounding. Summer tires are designed for higher heat conditions. The rubber blocks become quite hard in colder weather and the sipes in the tires actually pack in the snow rather than make it leave the tread.

I remember last winter seeing some guy with a brand new Sti that obviously had summer tires on it. It was snowing out quite hard. He slithered like a snake and went flying into the ditch. Even with awd, summer tires make a car uncontrollable in the snow. If you get snow in your area, get some dedicated snow tires.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I live in western New York. We know snow and Winter driving here.

Summer tires + snow/icy roads = accident.

Don't chance it. If not snow tires, then at least get some all seasons.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
also note: get either straight up all seasons like come on a base model civic, or snows, do not get high performance all seasons. they're great in the wet weather, but they still lack majorly in the snow.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where do you guys recomend getting a steelie/tire combo? i checked tire rack and it said no steelies available for our cars?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Agnt004 said:
Stock all seasons can be used in snow. They are not summer tires.
Hmm.. im assuming your talking about the regular tires that come on the Si if you didnt opt in for the actual "Summer Tire" package?

I just got what ever comes stock w/ the Si. Hope they will b ok in the snow.

NJ is known for kind of getting 1-2ft snowfalls lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts