8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From this toppic My Civic FD2 Automatic to Type R Automatic. I got an idea to replace my K20z2 (155hp) with K20a (225hp) otherwise buildup new K20's head.
After find out used K20a from JDM FD2 typeR. And swap original K20z2 with K20a.
Used K20a's engine.

Original K20z2 with automatic gear box. (110000 km. run)

K20a with automatic gear box. It is perfect fitting.

EGR. Moved to K20a.

Prepare to put in the car.

Perfect.

Except this. Under gear box cover.

I cut a little bit off for a perfect fitting.

Things to do.
- move all K20z2's belt and pulley to K20a. included alternator, air-con compressor. Because K20a' main pulley is bigger than K20z and it has steering oil pump that k20z have not.
- EGR. I moved from k20z to K20a. because my ECU will detect EGR.
- IM, TB, water pump, exhuast and all sensors. Use K20a's.

The next question will recieve is what's about ECU?
Yes, JDM FD typeR is manual transmission.
I use Hondata FlashPro to reflash original ECU with k20a fuel map.

Now I run my FD with K20a and automatic transmission with paddle shift.

My civic's detail
- Thailand's 2006 civic.
- K20z2 engine with 155hp.
- automatic transmission with paddle shift.

·
Registered
690 Posts
wow thats pretty cool. would you still experience any power decrease from the auto drivetrain? or possibly the paddle shifter will be an instant gear change, faster than a manual?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thats pretty cool. would you still experience any power decrease from the auto drivetrain? or possibly the paddle shifter will be an instant gear change, faster than a manual?
- By nature of auto transmission, power will a little bit drop by auto gear box.
- Civic's paddle shift is not faster than M/T gear change. A little bit time with gear change like normal auto transmission.
The only thing for paddle shift is the easest way to control automatic gear position by your fingers.

For the question Why not manual transmission?
My wife can not drive M/T. And I want more power to my car.

This is my clip for short test run. Slower than US's civic Si.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7FkTXcfpbo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7FkTXcfpbo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
690 Posts
that is really awesome! since you have a k20 now, i would recommend flashpro so you dont fall out of vtec when you shift. i just realized too that you only have 5 gears. this car looks like a fun project that is wife friendly :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
wow yeah..makes me curious now if we can pull this off for the ge8 honda fits...just take this auto trans with a k20a and drop it in...(for my girlfriend) btw haha...that would be crazy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all comments.
- With Hondata FlashPro, I open VTC from 3000 instead original 5400 rpm.
- For dyno, will be dyno soon. Nearest dyno is 600km from here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is my car with K20a swap.
Another car is builtup from K20z2. That is in Malaysia.
These 2 cars are same model FD with k20z2 and paddle shift A/T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i know this is an old thread but op did you have any issues with the swap other than the ecu reprogramming. i am about to swap a k20a from a fd2 into my usdm civic fg2. just want to know some pitfalls if there are any.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know this is an old thread but op did you have any issues with the swap other than the ecu reprogramming. i am about to swap a k20a from a fd2 into my usdm civic fg2. just want to know some pitfalls if there are any.
I ran K20a with A/T for 70,000km in 3 years without problems.
I installed A/T gear oil cooler and Low Temperature Thermostat to long live my A/T (my own opinion).
If you are always aggressive driving, A/T is not recommend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sincere thanks to Tiger

I ran K20a with A/T for 70,000km in 3 years without problems.
I installed A/T gear oil cooler and Low Temperature Thermostat to long live my A/T (my own opinion).
If you are always aggressive driving, A/T is not recommend.
I would like to post my sincere thanks to big brother tiger for his advices on this setup. It works.

Cheers.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I remembered reading this thread back in 2010 and dug it up again for a question. I'm doing a similar swap, in an AWD K20 platform. I am curious on what you did to overcome the stock auto transmission 6500 shifting limit, or does this setup just shift at 6500 and not see the extra RPM?

Thanks Tiger,

Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts