8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rear passenger brake caliper is still stuck even after replacing the entire caliper, pads, and the brake hose. I am running out of ideas as to what my problem can be. The other day after driving the rotor was red hot, so I know for a fact it is stuck. I may add, after replacing the caliper I would no longer pull the handbrake all the way up because I the caliper would get stuck if I did, I would yank it a few times and it would release.
I let my brother borrow my car for a day and noticed he pulled the handbrake all the way up, after that day the caliper continues to be stuck .Could it possibly be the parking brake cable? Anyone know the symptoms of this failing? Or maybe the Abs module?
I know there are threads that talk about this already but I have not found one where they confirm if replacing either of those resolved their issue. Thanks and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My rear passenger brake caliper is still stuck even after replacing the entire caliper, pads, and the brake hose. I am running out of ideas as to what my problem can be. The other day after driving the rotor was red hot, so I know for a fact it is stuck. I may add, after replacing the caliper I would no longer pull the handbrake all the way up because I the caliper would get stuck if I did, I would yank it a few times and it would release.
I let my brother borrow my car for a day and noticed he pulled the handbrake all the way up, after that day the caliper continues to be stuck .Could it possibly be the parking brake cable? Anyone know the symptoms of this failing? Or maybe the Abs module?
I know there are threads that talk about this already but I have not found one where they confirm if replacing either of those resolved their issue. Thanks and any help is appreciated.
When you replaced the caliper did you replaced the park brake spring as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rear passenger brake caliper is still stuck even after replacing the entire caliper, pads, and the brake hose. I am running out of ideas as to what my problem can be. The other day after driving the rotor was red hot, so I know for a fact it is stuck. Could it possibly be the parking brake cable or the abs module? Anyone know the symptoms of either one of these failing?
When you replaced the caliper did you replaced the park brake spring as well?
Yeah, it came installed with the new caliper

·
Registered
109 Posts
had a similar issue that might be of help.

my rotor was overheating and smelling bad, I checked and my caliper was siezed by the usual place in the piston and I changed it out with a painted autozone rebuilt one. The problem still happened and i was frustrated. I realized the caliper would only stick sometimes like when the e brake was too tight and replaced all the brackets for the e brake line ( i previously only did the spring and not the bracket) still didnt fix my problem.
Then out of curiosity I just pryed the entire caliper backwards a bit and it freed the rotor. until I hit the E brake past a certain point again. Then pried again and it fixed it.

I did some reasearch and found some audi thread which i cant find anymore, was talking about the caliper carrier holes where the slide pins rest, was worn out into an oval shape.

I went back to autozone and got my original carrier bracker back and my problem was fixed. I couldnt tell that the holes were any different, but it also could have been an improper installation at first. not sure. but if you run out of options try another carrier and see if it helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had a similar issue that might be of help.

my rotor was overheating and smelling bad, I checked and my caliper was siezed by the usual place in the piston and I changed it out with a painted autozone rebuilt one. The problem still happened and i was frustrated. I realized the caliper would only stick sometimes like when the e brake was too tight and replaced all the brackets for the e brake line ( i previously only did the spring and not the bracket) still didnt fix my problem.
Then out of curiosity I just pryed the entire caliper backwards a bit and it freed the rotor. until I hit the E brake past a certain point again. Then pried again and it fixed it.

I did some reasearch and found some audi thread which i cant find anymore, was talking about the caliper carrier holes where the slide pins rest, was worn out into an oval shape.

I went back to autozone and got my original carrier bracker back and my problem was fixed. I couldnt tell that the holes were any different, but it also could have been an improper installation at first. not sure. but if you run out of options try another carrier and see if it helps.
Thanks for sharing this info! However I don't think that is my issue because the caliper I ordered, from Amazon, came with a new bracket as well.

I tightened the adjusting screw under the handbrake lever two days ago and the caliper remained stuck. Today I removed the cable from the caliper and tried pulling it out to see if the cable was stuck, it didn't really move much. I pushed it in and it also didn't move much. I was hooking the cable back up to its spot and there wasn't enough slack, so I went to loosen the adjustment screw until I finally was able put the cable back on. I tried turning the rotor once I got it back on and the caliper was still slightly stuck. I pulled up on the handbrake cable behind the caliper and noticed it went up quite a bit, almost as if there is too much tension on the cable. While I pulled up on the cable I was able to turn the rotor (the pads were still rubbing though) and as soon as I let go of it, could no longer turn it.

That's as far as I got but now I have more info. Could it possibly be the hand brake cable?
Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
i noticed that as well, the whole design of the braking system seems to have a lot of tension resting on that cable. There may be a way to adjust the cable on the handle side but im not sure. since you already checked the spring. maybe try reinstalling the e brake line bracket and see if that helps? both brackets, the one near the spring and the one coming from the body.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i noticed that as well, the whole design of the braking system seems to have a lot of tension resting on that cable. There may be a way to adjust the cable on the handle side but im not sure. since you already checked the spring. maybe try reinstalling the e brake line bracket and see if that helps? both brackets, the one near the spring and the one coming from the body.
yeah, it had way more tension than the previous times that I've worked on the brakes. I tightened the adjustment screw under the brake handle because it would go too far up, but the result of that was not having enough slack to reinstall the cable onto the caliper.
Ill give that a shot tomorrow morning, ill update with the results(y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, it had way more tension than the previous times that I've worked on the brakes. I tightened the adjustment screw under the brake handle because it would go too far up, but the result of that was not having enough slack to reinstall the cable onto the caliper.
Ill give that a shot tomorrow morning, ill update with the results(y)
I may add that the spring on the new caliper does slide out of the nut that it goes over on a little. I compared it to the driver side caliper and doesn't have much play at all. Could that affect it in any way?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check your brake line. I just fixed this on a chevy pickup, the back right brake line was collapsed. When brakes were applied, fluid could make it through the line, but not back out, to the point where the pressure stayed on the pads and the brakes were constantly activated.

Also, if you lube the slide bolts too much, you'll put pressure in the boots, and it could force the pads to rub. Not enough to do what you are talking about I think, but just a thought. You want the slide bolts to spring a little bit, but not much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with a red hot rotor. I replaced the caliper assembly which helped some but ultimately, it was the e-brake cable. I think the cable was sticking, causing the brakes to drag, eventually damaging the caliper (which was the OE assembly with 200k miles) I replaced the e-brake cable and problem solved. When the cable is disconnected at both ends, it should move easily in both directions with very little effort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My issue was resolved, turns out I had a rotor that had worn down unevenly because a week after I changed out the rear brake pads and had the rotors resurfaced, one of my caliper bolts had backed out completely and my brake was hanging with only one bolt; The pads had worn down unevenly but I thought the pads and the rotors would eventually worn down evenly but I guess not. Thanks.

If the problem proceeds later on ill know for sure its the ebrake cable, but as if now the rotor solved my issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts