8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a long string of recent issues with my FA5. In the past 3 months i have replaced all 4 tires, both rear brake calipers at separate times, belt tensioner, idler pulley, belt and water pump. Everything seemed to be ok until Saturday I went to check my fluids. I noticed that my belt was 2 of the 7 ribs off the idler pulley. Put it back on and almost immediately after starting the car it shifted again. I read every post i could find and everything is pointing to my AC compressor. So i ordered a 50.5 inch belt to attempt to bypass that and see if it still jumps off. My AC has not been working for 2 summers now and it feels like the bearing or clutch finally let go as there is a noticeable wobble when spun by hand. In the middle of my diagnosis I have stripped the bolt on the tensioner and the way it is positioned it seems nearly impossible to hit it straight on with a socket and good leverage. My question is does anyone know what this is to the left of it with the 4 black lines coming out of it. Also can it be easily removed so that I can get this resolved without having my car towed to a shop? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry I don't know what is causing your belt to be misaligned but I was about to replace my tensioner during the freezing months of winter but was told that that bolt is extremely easy to strip and it would be a pita after that. So for now I am still ok to wait till it gets a bit warmer to get this done but hopefully my belt doesn't snap or shift like what you are showing here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the bolt out and replaced. I had to move the VSA module(device to the left of the pulleys with the brake lines coming out) to the left just enough to get a socket on it. Now I have everything back together and the belt is still tracking wierd. Now I know that the ac compressor isnt causing the belt to jump off. I have now noticed that I broke off one the the idler pulley bracket bolts. I'll deal with that tomorrow. Hopefully that is what has been causing the belt to skip all along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would check the crank pulley. I had this issue when i was working and noticed that the crank pulley was wobbling. the box with the brake lines that run through is the ABS module. You can unbolt it and slightly move it, just don't shove it around where you twist the lines. It would be easier if you place a jack with a piece of plywood under the oil pan, and unbolt the passenger side mount. it should give you enough clearance to get to the tensioner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved the issue about a week and a half ago. The broken bolt on the tensioner was enough to jump the belt over those 2 ribs at engine startup. Thanks for the insight. Now I'm just waiting on parts to replace my parking brake cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts