8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to post this in the Ontario Section since it took place in Toronto.

Cops: Toronto street racers hit 224 km/h

TORONTO - An accused street racer stopped early Monday after Toronto Police said he was clocked at almost double the speed limit was left foot-loose and facing charges without his BMW.

Sgt. Tim Burrows said a patrol officer spotted two cars racing on a highway in Toronto at 2:05 a.m. ‹ with other cars on the freeway.

The officer gave chase, clocking the Beemer at 189 km/h and his rival driver in a Mercedes-Benz, which got away after accelerating to 224 km/h.

The speed limit on the freeway is posted at 100 km/h and "there was some traffic at the time," Burrows said.

Burrows said the officer's video system was operating at the time and investigators will review images of the Mercedes license plate to "follow up" with that driver.

The relationship between the two drivers was not immediately known.

After his arrest, the BMW driver was charged with stunt driving - defined as speeding at more than 50 km/h over the posted limit - plus speeding at 189 km/h.

His car was impounded for a week.

"That's the same amount of time that his A-Z license will be gone," Burrows said of the driver, who faces the loss of six points on his license, plus at fine of about $6 per illegal kilometre.

The BMW driver was ordered to appear in court.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Those penalties actually aren't that steep. In the US a street racing ticket is almost as bad as a DUI.

Either way, just another reason why I only race at the track... and I don't even do that very often. heh...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The use of "Beemer" rather than "BMW" in a news article makes me question the validity of the article. Which newspaper was this?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
What about the bimmer that chopped down the mini van in Jane & Finch area and the driver killed the whole family in it?

Too much???
I'm not an advocate of street racing and I don't street race, but if you look at the accidents and deaths caused by street racing, they are VERY VERY low.

There are bigger fish to fry... aka - Driving under the influence, which is known for chopping down mini vans daily, and not just once a year.

·
Registered
544 Posts
another thing i may add. Its the law now not to use any hand held devices when driving. Why cant people follow such simple rule. I've seen so many people, mostly women who still drive with their phones stuck to their head! buy blue tooth dammit!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
^^ The simple truth is some people can do it and others can't. I've seen people who can eat, talk on their phones, and still drive safely. I've seen others who can't avoid pulling in front of someone, running red lights, or nearly hitting someone while on the phone. On top of that, some people can't drive period.. with or without distractions.

I find the ban on cell phones kind of funny. I don't see any bans on reading the paper, eating, changing CD's, or putting on makeup while driving. All of which I have seen almost cause accidents. Just more probable cause for a traffic stop.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree.....Distractions such as talking on cell phone, reading, putting pn make-up, eating....etc....are just as dangerous as Speeding, depending on the vehicle it is being done in.

At least when speeding or at least most people have a tendacy to pay more attention to the road and there surroundings when speeding, versus women on phones while driving.

Drinking and Driving is just plain stupid.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not an advocate of street racing and I don't street race, but if you look at the accidents and deaths caused by street racing, they are VERY VERY low.

There are bigger fish to fry... aka - Driving under the influence, which is known for chopping down mini vans daily, and not just once a year.
I don't care what the reason is. If one hurts another in the road or anywhere else. Unless it's self defence. He or she should be removed from the general public and locked up.

We can not afford to wait until some dies or paralized to enforce our safety.
Street racing is as much as a prelude to disasters on the road. Same for DUI and speeding.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I don't care what the reason is. If one hurts another in the road or anywhere else. Unless it's self defence. He or she should be removed from the general public and locked up.

We can not afford to wait until some dies or paralized to enforce our safety.
Street racing is as much as a prelude to disasters on the road. Same for DUI and speeding.
So you're going to take resources away from officers making DUI arrests to track down fewer and far between street racing arrests, which injure leaps and bounds less people? Meanwhile DUI related accident numbers go up and more die.

Or... would you rather just throw more money at the problem and put more officers on the streets to tackle both issues? Good idea. So what other government program are you going to cut now, in order to be able to afford this?

Meanwhile you cut some other program and put more people on the streets and arrest a whole 25 street racers in one month! Congratulations! However, this is nothing compared to the extra potential 200 DUI arrests you could have gotten with the officers who were concentrating on tackling street racing. 2 of which could have prevented loss of life, where as none of the street racing events would have resulted in loss of life.

Again... I'm not an advocate against street racing and I'm not a street racer... I'm just a realist. I know what kind of resources police agencies have. I'd rather have my local police forces concentrating on larger issues. Rape, murder, drugs, organized crime, DUI arrests, etc.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts