8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does the stock dash unit have pre-outs? Probably a stupid question because I've yet to have a car that had them in the factory unit.

So if I just wanted to add a small sub in the back with a dedicated amp, is there any kind of of connection going into the stock sub amp that I could use for an aftermarket amp in the trunk, or will I have to unclip the speaker wires going into the stock woofer and use those as a speaker-level input to my amp? Anyone tried this?

I'm sure if I look around I could find answers to this, but it seems like the general answer is to replace the in-dash unit, which I want to avoid because the whole dash would need to be pulled out and a hole cut out or something like that, or I would have to buy a new dash piece configured for the Navi system.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Both options have been covered here in detail. The short answer is the stock HU has balanced outputs that can drive an amp with balanced inputs. Mercman makes a harness and knows all the fine details. In this case, you would be bypassing the factory amp and would need an amp for all speakers, not just the sub. You can also use the stock sub wiring to drive high-level inputs to an amp if all you want to add is a sub. Do some searches or you won't get much help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts