8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I UNDERSTAND CAI IS THE WAY TO GO

i m just not to keen on cutting the fender lining right now as i am lazy lol...i kno for sure i would like one in the future but they expensive for tube and hoses and filter....so i was just curious what is more beneficial a SRI or the K&N drop in filter....the stock air box has the two sets of tubings to bring in colder air from bottom but i think that is only on start up....a SRI is obviously open and sits almost behind engine next to my DCRH soooo that wouldnt help much.... fyi, i have a the K&N already (courtesy of prev owner)

just curious for some responses....
thanx

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's pretty much your choice man. SRI will sound good, make power but then theres heat soak. Using your OEM intake will keep AFRs where their suppose to be and its not too bad @ doing it's job.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I have decided to go the stock airbox, K&N, and add the HPS stage 1 intake tube.

I'm just really worried about the AFRs, and I don't want to have to mess with Hondata or Cobb.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha I think I ll keep it the way it is then haha it's a catch22 until a CAI comes my way...not to found on eBay junk tho...

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I say just get a drop in filter until you get less lazy. There's no sense in paying for an SRI if you're going to get a CAI later.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're going to do any drag racing, get the SRI.
nah i dont think drag racing...but maybe more autox...havent decided when i wanna man up and risk jacking up the car. i would wanna learn do's and donts while driving....more over, like the ones that get overlooked....

but i would like to save up for some kind of induction box like a t1R....i kno its expensive but i would look sec-z lulz

·
Registered
20 Posts
for me it depends on how you will use the car.....

for general daily driving K&N drop-in filter is good already with slight to nice improvement over stock air intake filter. this is what i put into my R18 FD1 Civic ..... plus it doesn't cost so much you can resell it for cheaps if you're wanting to go SRI later .....

as for me am happy with the drop-in filter .... i just check the filter once in a while and oil it thinly when needed. but am sure SRI will make you a lot happier

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you autocross, then I can give you the answer. No SRI, go with either CAI or stock air box with HSP hose. Here is why, on my previous 4 events i had CT-intake, you know the one with "heatsheild". It heatsoaked, bucked or whatever after the 1st or 2nd run. IAT reading on my dashhawk was 145+. Then I went back to stock air box with HSP hose for my last event. temp reading was about the same, but I didn't have any problem on my throttle. everything was nice and smooth. Plus, stock intake has better low-end torque and overall performance. I'm gonna put thermal tape to wrap my air box see if I can bring the temp down.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i have the hps hose and k&n drop in. but i also have the M&M scoop (resonator deleted)
so essentially it is a cold air system.

i made a SRI with stock parts and the IAT's were sky high compared to my setup now. and remember that hot air equals less power than cold air. the only advantage is sound and low end throttle response. but heatsoak is terrible.

with flashpro, my IAT's are only 15 degrees higher than ambient temps after 30 minutes of spirited driving. good luck getting that with a SRI, most with be at least 30 degrees higher than ambient.

solution: make your own SRI intake system. its fun and if you screw up, just go back to stock.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm like Turk...

P2R Spacer, HPS intake hose, K&N drop-in, partially gutted box, resonator removed, and a makeshift lower tube running to the bumper. DEFINITELY a noticable increase in power over stock, has a great sound, and runs smooth as butter... plus, i like the fact there isn't a gaping hole on the right side of the engine bay like running a CAI.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
I'm like Turk...

P2R Spacer, HPS intake hose, K&N drop-in, partially gutted box, resonator removed, and a makeshift lower tube running to the bumper. DEFINITELY a noticable increase in power over stock, has a great sound, and runs smooth as butter... plus, i like the fact there isn't a gaping hole on the right side of the engine bay like running a CAI.
It's an "engine bay", not an "intake bay". :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
You can do something similar to what I've done to save a couple bucks off of buying an aftermarket SRI and CAI, it will take a couple hours of your times though.

Notice that my thread is almost two years old, and now I have the air box painted professional. But too bad I have sold my M&M scoop since it doesn't mount properly, I'm thinking about modifying the intake resonator chamber for better airflow someday.

As for right now I have the Spoon Sports drop in air filter and not the K&N one, but either one will do fine.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/intake-spacer-discussion/120409-my-mugen-intake-self-made.html

·
Registered
690 Posts
yeah my M&M scoop was a ***** to install. looking back i should have bought an aftermarket cold air. in the end, i had to use duct tape to make sure there was a sealed vacuum.

i love the sound of the stock piping and didnt want that metal intake sound.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts