8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock air intake resonator or the intake parts under the battery can u take this out without taking apart the bumper???thank you

·
Registered
583 Posts
wait a second, so there's an exhaust resonator and now an intake resonator, wth!

what will this do if you remove the intake resonator? im all for free mods, if they actually do something.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
robertw said:
wait a second, so there's an exhaust resonator and now an intake resonator, wth!

what will this do if you remove the intake resonator? im all for free mods, if they actually do something.
lol..exhaust resonator keeps exhaust sound down and a creates a deeper tone. it is located in front of the rear axel under the pass. side of the car.
the intake resonator is only there to "enhance" the vtec engagment by making the sound stand out more...if you ask me, its about 10lbs of wasted plastic that only adds weight...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
lol, this reminds me of a white hatch with flat black hood at school last year with a filter connected to PVC pipe sticking out the hood

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep in mind Honda employed two engineers specifically to work on the intake sound for the Si, especially when Vtec engages. I'm all for a drop in K&N but if these other intakes out there were so good I'm sure Honda would use them to get over the 200hp hump.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
UR2SLOW1 said:
Keep in mind Honda employed two engineers specifically to work on the intake sound for the Si, especially when Vtec engages. I'm all for a drop in K&N but if these other intakes out there were so good I'm sure Honda would use them to get over the 200hp hump.
X2 i agree with that

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
^you must be confused. it is impossible to take off the resonator without removing the bumper...you must be referring to teh piping to teh resonator and/or the air box.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I've read that people have been able to get the resonator box out by removing the fender liner. I believe the first time around, dentrecords didn't remove the bumper and that's what he did. It's just a ***** to get to the inner bolts of that box without removing the bumper.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I reached under the hood and yanked the rubber tube off near the battery going from the airbox to the intake piping. On my Ford and every other car I've had I've done similar and it's always sounded awesome. I did it to the Si and it sounded retarded so I put it back on. The sound was just a bunch of droning that was really loud at certain RPM's and quiet at others. VTEC didn't sound that good either.

I was considering doing this mod, but after hearing how crappy the sound was when removing the little rubber pipe as a test I've changed my mind. I like the stock intake.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just did this yesterday (remove the resonator), and you could probably do it without removing the bumper, though i romoved it. If you go through the inner fender wall, you'll have to take out the batter as well, and do a hell of a lot of wiggling.

Second, removing the intake resonator also caused my Orange Check Engine light to go on. Common problem with this mod? I had already hollowed out the upper air box, that's a pretty easy task, but finally found a couple hours to take the car apart for the rest of the "icebox" mod.

Also, I don't know that I'd recommend this mod, I've got/noticed some throttle response delay, and the car sounds exactly the same, can't tell if there's any increase in power at all. I think I may end up putting the Fujita SRI on instead. So, I don't know that the work is worth the output.

Just my thoughts and review.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Toy Slacker said:
I just did this yesterday (remove the resonator), and you could probably do it without removing the bumper, though i romoved it. If you go through the inner fender wall, you'll have to take out the batter as well, and do a hell of a lot of wiggling.

Second, removing the intake resonator also caused my Orange Check Engine light to go on. Common problem with this mod?
You might want to reset your ECU. Why didn't you just disconnect the rubber hose from the stock airbox to the resonator as opposed to fully taking it out? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting the situation?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yodums said:
You might want to reset your ECU.
Reset my ECU, please divulge.

Yodums said:
Why didn't you just disconnect the rubber hose from the stock airbox to the resonator as opposed to fully taking it out? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting the situation?
I didn't want to simply disconnect hoses because I didn't want to leave unused parts in the engine bay, I wanted to clean it up since I was going through the motions. I mean, I suppose I could have opted to bypass the airbox and just use the resonator as the "filter", but then the airs not being filtered at all, since that's (the resonator) just a pass through chamber.

I don't know, I'll keep it for a few weeks and see if things change, the throttle lag is pretty bad though, first gear is sluggish now. I may try out the Fujita SRI I have sitting in a box.

But anyhow, I wouldn't recommend this mod, not worth the effort in my opinion.

Oh, one good note about my experience, after a day of the check engine light being on, it's been off for the past couple days now, phew!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts