8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am new to the whole stick shift scene and my question to you is i have problems on steep hills at an incline. I currently use my Ebrake or Hand Brake to support myself while i steadily work my clutch foot and my gas foot and i slowly let down the ebrake. My question is does this hurt the car? i heard it does and if so any tips and advice for a incline hill when your stuck in traffic? It's very scary when i try not to do it with the ebrake because im not quick enough yet and also i peel out which is not good =).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
choosta said:
Hello guys,

I am new to the whole stick shift scene and my question to you is i have problems on steep hills at an incline. I currently use my Ebrake or Hand Brake to support myself while i steadily work my clutch foot and my gas foot and i slowly let down the ebrake. My question is does this hurt the car? i heard it does and if so any tips and advice for a incline hill when your stuck in traffic? It's very scary when i try not to do it with the ebrake because im not quick enough yet and also i peel out which is not good =).
Just rev the engine 500rpm or so higher and feather the clutch. You should never have to use the e-brake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it hurt to use the Ebrake? How much damage am i causing? It really easier for me to use it as of now since im learning.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
let out on clutch til it slightly catches and add a lil gas and it should keep you in place, lil more gas and off you start going

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
what i did was found a hill that there was very little traffic on and worked my way up it using clutch and gas, clutch and gas and just balancing it out.. if you have it in first, start to let off the clutch SLOWLY and if you feel the car start to shudder like it's going to stall, stop letting off and see if you can just keep the car balanced out like that without using Ebrake. just practice. you'll get it easy after about a week or 2. the Si was also my first manual transmission car and i picked up the hill issues after 3 days of practicing on one

·
Registered
673 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using your e-brake for support on an incline. A lot of new manual transmission drivers use that method to learn. Just be sure not to apply too much pressure on the e-brake. If you let off the e-brake as soon as you start rolling, you should be causing little to no damage. However, be sure not to let this become your standard practice...you gotta get off the training wheels sometime. :D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Its just an e-brake. Your not hurting anything. Just use it until you are comfortable, then go into an *empty* parking lot and get better at it. You wouldn't want to get in the habit of using the e-brake.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When u START to let go of the clutch... U actually have about an inch (or two) of "play" where nothing happens...

After that inch (or two), u can actually FEEL some type of contact point... THIS is where you would start pressing the gas...

On MOST hills I've been on... I've been able to stay steady on the incline with JUST the clutch ALONE and no gassing at all....

The trick is to balance the car BEFORE you actually stop.... Its much harder to do it after you've stopped...

So as you slow down (less than 1mph) u should already be trying to find that "contact point" and hold urself balanced on the hill...

Some may argue though that this is bad for the clutch since ANYTIME its not 100% making contact, you're essentially "riding the clutch" and wearing it out....

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
choosta said:
Thank you all for the insight. YOdamus where would i post a question like this?
Just pick a forum that best fits your judgment. If we think there's a specific section it needs to go to, we'll move it. Just anywhere but the site questions and comments section.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is the same as learning where to get the car to creep while stuck in traffic. You have to ride the clutch somewhat and I see no problems with using the e-brake to secure yourself from rolling into the guy behind you. Eventually you can get past this but even now sometimes I find myself doing it just as a precaution when I am stuck on a really steep hill and a car halfway up my tailpipe.

Though the person behind you tends to get the message if you rollback abit and then let it go.... just be sure to not roll back too far :lildevil:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bokeh said:
When u START to let go of the clutch... U actually have about an inch (or two) of "play" where nothing happens...

After that inch (or two), u can actually FEEL some type of contact point... THIS is where you would start pressing the gas...

On MOST hills I've been on... I've been able to stay steady on the incline with JUST the clutch ALONE and no gassing at all....
I can do it no problem when im on a flat surface its easy to me actually. But when im on the hill i don't understand how i can just use the clutch with out gassing to keep me up am i braking? The scary part is when you disengage the clutch and have the car roll back very quickly.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Never use your clutch to keep your car still on an incline. That's what brakes are for.

What I do on the incline is prematurely find the friction point on the clutch while I'm holding the brake. When I release the brake with my right foot, I jump on the gas and it's all go from there.

By the way, depending on the incline, you may or may not be able to keep the car still with only the clutch. Our cars lack a large amount of torque, so you will hear the engine sputter and groaning when you're on a big enough incline and trying to get it going prematurely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yodums said:
Never use your clutch to keep your car still on an incline. That's what brakes are for.

What I do on the incline is prematurely find the friction point on the clutch while I'm holding the brake. When I release the brake with my right foot, I jump on the gas and it's all go from there.

By the way, depending on the incline, you may or may not be able to keep the car still with only the clutch. Our cars lack a large amount of torque, so you will hear the engine sputter and groaning when you're on a big enough incline and trying to get it going prematurely.

So i assume you just have to really fast with your right foot as well as being very light with your left to be able to catch the catch point of clutch and gear. Im just not experienced enough this is my first car that i actually own and was bought with my own money. I need to treat this thing well. However no ones really answered my question about the E-BRAKE those this really do damage to the car? Since im learning is it ok to be using this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stampeed Valkyrie said:
This is the same as learning where to get the car to creep while stuck in traffic. You have to ride the clutch somewhat and I see no problems with using the e-brake to secure yourself from rolling into the guy behind you. Eventually you can get past this but even now sometimes I find myself doing it just as a precaution when I am stuck on a really steep hill and a car halfway up my tailpipe.

Though the person behind you tends to get the message if you rollback abit and then let it go.... just be sure to not roll back too far :lildevil:
YEA MAN i did that this weekend i gave myself quite a scare! Im sure i scared the person behind me as well haha :laughing:

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
choosta said:
So i assume you just have to really fast with your right foot as well as being very light with your left to be able to catch the catch point of clutch and gear. Im just not experienced enough this is my first car that i actually own and was bought with my own money. I need to treat this thing well. However no ones really answered my question about the E-BRAKE those this really do damage to the car? Since im learning is it ok to be using this?
You don't have to be crazy fast, no. When I'm tired or feeling lazy, I'll feel the car slip or slide before there's some power to the wheels. The point is that the friction point will never change. Just learn how to drive without any issues on a flat road and ou won't have any issues on incline. The mechanics of your car doesn't change depending on the road. It's all still the same process, you're doing nothing different. If you know the friction point well, you'll find it very fast.

The biggest mistake I've seen from starters is that they panic when the cars starts rolling and instead of releasing the clutch, they start pumping the gas which scares them even more. The reason why it isn't rolling is because the clutch hasn't hit the friction point yet, so there's no power to the wheels. Adding gas will just burn it up.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Yea yodum is right if I were you go to an empty parkiing lot and just practice on the incline. Its all about playing with the clutch. Gotta remember Clutch first, gas second when it comes down to working the gears.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I just hold it with the clutch. No parking brake (it's NOT an "emergency" brake), no foot brake and no gas. Just let the clutch out a bit as you're coming to a stop and it'll hold all day long.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts