8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a ton of former STI owners going SI. Whats the deal? I always thought that the natural progression for import fiends was SI-> STI. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool just... different.

Overall, how happy are you STI folks after having gone from a boosted car to the torqueless but fun as hell SI? I love my SI and I'm very pleased with it's NA set up. I've driven many boosted cars but have only owned one, a stock T5 Volvo.

I've read your threads but I guess I'd like to see opinions and such in one spot. Happy New Year everyone. ;)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I dunno why they do it either. I guess perhaps they want the better gas milage. Id love to have a factory turbo car. But in the future when i can afford to keep my Si and have the New Evo FTW.

·
Registered
221 Posts
as you know it takes money to maintain and own a car. STI's cost a lot to own.. insurance, gas, maintenance come out to a lot. A lot of these STI owners begin to understand that they can't speed everywhere and the point of having a STI begins to seem pointless.

The dollar difference from going from a STI to ex or si, is a lot.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
once u have a car that eats up a lot of gas... needs a lot of maintance... ull understand... even tho.. i will be getting an STi as my next car!

·
Registered
468 Posts
i had a 07 si that i wrote off, and now i have a 05 STi,

finnacialy i should go back to the Si, but everytime i drive the STI i get a big smile on my face

here is an example of what it costs to own an sti

$60 bucks worth of gas will get me about 350kms and thats with good driving habbits. i went through a tank of gas in one night with friends driving it like it was ment to be driven

amsoil oil is what the STI guys recomend. so thats 10 bucks a liter for the full sythetic, highperformance oil.

insurance is a nighmare on this thing if u don't have a connection. i pay only 220 a month. vs my Si witch was 140 a month.. if my girlfriend didn't work for state farm i would be paying about 550 with another insurance company

here is a pics of my STI

also the Si vs the STI. the sti is **** magnet, and the si is a chick magnet. guys can't stop talking about my car when i get gas, or i get out.

but girls can't stop honking at me when i was in my SI

this is what my si looks like right now. head on . and i walked away with some cuts and chest pain from the seat belt. Honda saftey FTW

·
Registered
227 Posts
LOL! I sold my Evo and bought an SI. Truthfully, the Evo and STI will pretty much dominate an SI in terms of performance. However, in terms of day-to-day driving, I think the SI is a better car. It's cheaper to buy and maintain, gets better gas mileage, and just lends itself better to normal daily driving (safer, better stereo, cruise control, etc.) The 2005 Evo wasn't available with cruise control, by the way. I do a lot of highway driving and really need that.

Plus, as someone mentioned, you can't really take advantage of the Evo's or STI's performance on the street.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I got the si and got rid of the sti cause i want a daily and to start a real project soon. Maybe evo hmmmm haha.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i traded in my evo for my si for reliability, gas, and all the above...besides i needed a better daily driver that was cost effective...i was also in the process of getting a house, but since i have the house now i was thinking of getting an 05 sti for shits and giggles while keeping the si for what i meant to buy it for...hahah

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
my guess is that the Si is a good compromise between a performance and regular car. i went from GT mustang to a camry to an Si. i should of went straight to the Si

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
I dunno I got my Si now...and ive been wanting an STI for the longest time, money just is too much for those things though. Maybe 2nd car would be an sti

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Honda>>mitzu..as far as reliability, gas mileage, safty, and price.
Too bad mitzu doesn't make the STI, which is what this thread is about :lildevil:

My dream had always been to dump the SI for an Evo/STI once I was out of school, but now I'm starting to rethink this if you can literally burn a tank in one night :xyxnervou

That STI in this threat is beautiful.. but damn, I knew they got bad gas mileage but that is terrible.

And the obvious answer to this question would be money, and drive-ability. The Civic is going to be a much more friendly DD, and cost a hell of a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
as you know it takes money to maintain and own a car. STI's cost a lot to own.. insurance, gas, maintenance come out to a lot. A lot of these STI owners begin to understand that they can't speed everywhere and the point of having a STI begins to seem pointless.

The dollar difference from going from a STI to ex or si, is a lot.
Yeah, the Si is a pretty inexpensive car to own but still has enough to be a fun to drive car. The average car costs around 30k now, so it's 10k less than that plus cheap to maintain.

* real nice sti CivNick!!!

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
having done the opposite, let me chime in

first of all, not many, if at all, STi owners go back to an Si, if they do, I'm 100% sure it's for financial reasons

me going from a supercharged Mugen Si to an STi
  • I don't regret my decision, not even one bit
  • I have love for 8th gen Sis more than most 8thers appreciate the car
  • The Si is a one hell of a FUN car to drive, but most people will never understand a subaru, the car, the boxer engine, the community, the love, it's a whole different story
  • A boosted car is almost always more demanding than a N/A car, but you gotta pay to play :D
  • Reliability wise, overall, my STi is holding much better than the mugen, the tranny is a billion times better than the Si, however, the piece of mind you get with the K20 is un believable, you won't blow this sucker unless you go diving with the car and hydrolock it, or run crazy boost levels on stock internals :D both are great and reliable cars IMHO
  • Modding an already boosted car is WAAAY easier than boosting an N/A one, the aftermarket support, it's all better in the subie world.

I am not arguing here, I just wanna say i love both cars, but if someone sell his/her STi and buy an Si for no financial reason (gas/payments/insurance) then that's gonna be 1/1000000 case and i would be really interested to find out the reasons

some people don't like the STi after they buy it (which indicates a dump impulse buy IMHO), but they tend to go and buy an evo (which is a GREAT car), I think of the STi and Evo as two of the best cars out there, you just chose the one you like best and respect the other :D I would love to have an evo 9 in my garage one day, and a civic Si (supercharged) as a DD :laughing:

-AJ

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Somebody told me that pads and rotors for an STI(All4) cost about a grand. Can anyone confirm this?
i'm upgrading my brakes now

the price might be true (from the dealer), if you don't want the brembos and high performance, don't get an STi :D

upgrading pads to project Mu will cost ~$260 (most other brands are either the same, or less)
rotors upgrade to DBA 4000 - all four ~$550

the rotors last a LONG LONG time before they need replacement but they are pretty costly

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.