8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the stock deck out of the 08 Civic so I can put in a sub and I have a few questions.
1. Is there anything plug and play for the deck install? It's a new pioneer deck. Or will I have go the crimping route?
2. If I do the crimping, the deck has a wire for ground that needs to be attached to the frame or metal. Is that something they are putting on newer decks? I haven't seen that before like on my Integra, Element or old civic.
3. When running the wires for the sub to the trunk, are there 2 wires that shouldn't be touching or close to each other? Like the positive wire and rca? I thought I've heard something about that.
4. I used the rear antenna as the remote wire. Is that okay or should I run it to the deck? I planned on using a loc and already ran the remote.
5. Is there a recommended length for the sub ground wire? I found a perfect oem ground but it's probably 4 or so feet away. I don't really want to drill and create my own. But if I must, I must.
Thanks yo!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
1) if youve got anything BUT an Si (any) or EX Coupe, all youll need are the harness, and antenna adaptor, its as close to plug-and-play as youre going to get, youll just need to attach the car adaptor harness to the new radio's harness by way of solder or crimp-on terminals, so on so forth, its just an easy game of color matching no hard modification to the car is needed. . . now if youve got any of the previously listed models youve got a premium and must bypass or integrate into the factory amp, if youre making amp runs already I highly recommend you go buy an amp for the speakers to make your life easy

2) theres nothing wrong with grounding it to a fresh metal point in the chassis, or direct to the battery if youve got the time, but most just ground it at the harness like the stock radio, and that works for most cases

3) youll want to keep your battery runs and the RCAs separate, so what I did was run the power on the driver side panels and the RCAs around the passenger side panels

4) if you use the antenna as a remote then itll only be on when the antenna sees power, so only when the tuner is on, so if you ONLY listen to the radio, that would be OK, if not, run it forwards, and I dont see the need for an LOC, just run RCAs from the front

5) no, just as short as you can make it is the general rule, that 4-ft run if OK, I see people run all the way to the battery up front, if youre up to that thats the best way to do it, but again puting it in the trunk is OK

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running RF rcas and it has the extra lil wire. Is that the one you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I'm comparing the pioneer harness to the stereo harness. Everything matches up except the stereo harness has 2 orange wires. One is for Illumination and one is dimmer. Are these needed? If so, where do they go?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
they will be needed if you want the thing to dim with the headlights on, Id assume it would be on the harness kit you bought, I know its in the car's harness. . . I wouldnt know though since my Alpine uses a photocell in the face to auto dim

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
it would light up like always for the daylight, but the thing would stay bright, blindingly bright, at night without atleast the illuminator lead attached

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure with the Pioneers that you can adjust if it dims or doesn't dim with the headlights. At least my 5 yr old Pioneer Premier deck does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dude make it easy on yourself and just buy the back speacker adapter to wire your input and out put to your speaker. and just run the remote to a switch. it makes life so much easier

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
so youre trying to say use an LOC in the back, when he's got a perfectly good HU with pre-outs and dedicated controls that he can use. . . seriously??

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couple more questions. So I've started splicing together all the wires. The Pioneer harness has 1 blue for the remote and the honda harness has one blue. Then I have the remote wire from the amp. Do I splice them all together? I looked at my Integra harness and it has 2 blues. One for the harness and one for the remote.
Other question, I bought the antenna harness which also has the yellow wire with the plug. Do I run that to the back of the oem harness like in these instructions?
Thanks for your help!!!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I looked at the harnesses. The Pioneer one has the blue with white stripe, which I think is for the amp remote, and the honda one has a solid blue which on the package for the honda one it says the solid blue is for the power antenna. Do I even need to use the solid blue since there is not a power antenna and I am already using the bigger antenna wire on the back of the deck? Or does it mean power for the antenna? Or should I splice all 3 together?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
So I looked at the harnesses. The Pioneer one has the blue with white stripe, which I think is for the amp remote, and the honda one has a solid blue which on the package for the honda one it says the solid blue is for the power antenna. Do I even need to use the solid blue since there is not a power antenna and I am already using the bigger antenna wire on the back of the deck? Or does it mean power for the antenna? Or should I splice all 3 together?
Power antenna goes to power the antenna, as it says, hook it up like usual to the antenna lead on the mating harness. . . as for remote-on that goes to your aftermarket amps, nothing to do with the factory harness unless youre integrating the factory amp

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The Pioneer head units don't have a separate wire for the power antenna, like some of the other brands do. On your Pioneer head unit, you will need to splice that wire for the antenna into the remote wire.

Hans

1 - 20 of 31 Posts