8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone noticed the head unit space? It seems that you can only have one of the factory head units, nothing else...

Did i miss a post about non factory head units still able to be installed?

Or is it just the cassette...cd...or nav. system?

If that's the case...I'm going to start building a fiberglass frame for an LCD screen now...

Anybody know? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I called them, and from the looks of it, he says, that unless someone makes a whole center console with a double din dash opening, then it's Honda radios or custom...

wow...Has this ever been done before?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since this is my thread, and you're the only one answering...

Hey Webby, I don't know if you're buying a 4 door or 2 door...in reference to the 2 door...

But doesn't it also suck that there have been some of us that have been waiting for this car for months now, and they're advertising it like the dealers have them...but they don't...
And by the time they do have them in, the advertising will have people buying them out...causing a backorder...
dammit
Sorry about the rant...i just have been calling all day again, trying to find one...still no luck...and by the time they get here, i'm not going to get one for months...
i know it's like "whatever chill out, you'll get one" but still...

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I hear ya loud a clear. I want to test drive the coupes really bad to see how they stack up. I was already in the 4dr LX and EX. I want to see the coupes and SI's now. I hate waiting as much as the next guy, but I'll be honest with you. I still have not seen the SI commercial played on tv here. I keep reading about it, but haven't seen it yet. Yes, there is buzz in magazines - car and driver/motor trend etc - BUT, it's mostly for the SI. Most of the talk in magazines is praising the new SI and the redesign over the previous SI which most car mags didn't like.

I honestly think you'll be alright to buy one when they come out. I obviously can't say 100% for sure, but I'd get to know a salesman at your local dealership well. Make him your buddy and keep stopping by to see if they have them yet. If he gets to see your face all of the time, he's sure to let you know when they arive first thing. Remember - he works on commission. He only gets paid when he sells cars, so I'm sure he'd call you.

I don't think the coupes will be that hard to get a hold of. We're still very early in the game as far as the new civics are concerened. Every day I meet someone who doesn't even have a clue the new civics are even out yet. If you're REALLY worried - I'd go ahead and put a small deposit down on one. No?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, i've been thinking about that...but like i said, i'm not THAT worried...I really want to drive one before i put money down heh

thanks for your input Webby.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking...about the stereo...look

there's gotta be a radio harness made for that space...it should be easy...

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
well, that means that they do make a dash piece. Man - You'll have to replace that entire dash practically.

best pic I could find and THEN - I think it extends all the way over the steering wheel to the left side.

again - best pic I could find. But, I think that is all one piece. Obviously you'll have to find out where to get that piece along with that setup.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SEE! I thought I saw a pic that had the dash in all one piece...I just couldn't find it...

But the pic I posted was from the official HondaCars.com website, so i think that the car in your pics is just a demo car or something...you know?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dash

Webby and all-
The dash peice to replace where the radio is IS NOT that big - it's actually considerably small.

This picture shows the peice you can remove - the left line there falls just left of that vent. So it's probably a 1 foot by 1 foot dash peice that only has the radio and the vent within it's boundaries.

If i can i'll take pics soon, but I don't have a camera :(

But it would be very easy for a company to manufacture replacement peices for this area as it's small and very simple - just a large hole for a double din radio and hole for the vent is needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks hamm, that's what i was thinking before when i saw this pic...

It should be just the square above...or like you said that whole piece circled...a/c vent, knobs, and hazard button...

either way...Not as bad as the whole dash!

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
NAVI will take that spot in mine. Does anyone know if there is a way to play a dvd on the NAVI screen.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows if those "chips" I have heard about. Do they really work to increase power? How do they work and where are they placed? Where can I find one? How much$?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chips can mean anything from a simple chip replacement on the ECU, to something that plugs into the OBD-II port and basically forces a change on the ECU, uploading a new program. For my Focus you could get an XCal-2 unit that would take about 5 mins to flash the ECU with a program. Tuner shops can make the program (which is really just a list of settings) or make you a few different ones. For example you could get a program that would help you get more HP out of the car by using premium fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts