8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got my battery changed today. Old battery had a manufactured in 07 sticker on it. It was in pretty rough shape. There was also quite a bit of battery acid on it. Could be an alternator problem. I will keep an eye on it, and see if I have continued problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This has been happening to me recently. 06 Civic EX
it seems to only happen on really hot days when I start my car up (maybe lasts for about 1minute).
Screen Dims, Stations change, then it changes from CD/AUX/FM/AM

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey guys, it's really can't be a battery or alternator issue. If they were bad you would have bigger problems than your radio acting up.

Someone verified that it was not the steering wheel controls as they have the same problem without these controls. I would almost guarantee a new head unit would fix it. It probably over heated and components on the circuit board lifted or broke down.

I have ripped the stereo system apart and there is nothing else that sends those types of signals to the head unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
992 Posts
my stock usb for my 09 si went dead and the radio say please see instruction manual
but I already putting in a new head unit.
its the radio water might have gotten into the buttons into the circuit boards.
if your brave enough you can pull the radio out, then behind it you can unscrew it from the dash and you have access to the buttons, if you plan to do this look for water residue or something then clean it out

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also noticed when I'm parked and the car is sitting still the radio will start going bizzurk when the fan kicks on smh idk what it could be but it's driving me crazy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem it goes through AM-FM-AUX-CD and changes radio stations by its self. But then a couple days later it doesn't do it for a week. What the hell is going onn!

06 Habanero Red Si

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah mine too. 08 fa5. For some reason it seems to happen mostly when I have my phone plugged into the aux jack. I also hear the engine whine and crackling if I use the horn through the speakers when the phones plugged in. I'm thinking a bad or degrading ground in the radio or aux circuit. Maybe the antenna? Also, I tried moving my keys around last time this happened and it seemed to increase the problem. Going to take all the extra keys off the ring and see if that helps. Its been years since I've messed with car audio, and that was on much simpler vehicles. But this is getting annoying. Good thing I like how the engine sounds.
Edit: also, I've noticed the blower fan motor kicks down at times, kinda like the a/c comp is kicking in, but the a/c isn't on. Related maybe? Fan issue seems to have started same time as the radio issue.

·
Registered
346 Posts
mine was shutting off and on while the engine is on. i found out it was from a loose ground wire in the engine bay when i was messing with things and forgotten to tighten. it's always the ground when dealing with electrical. try looking for loose grounding

·
Registered
139 Posts
Agreed. Grounds are always the first place I check with any electrical problem. Just haven't had any time yet. The issue with the fan is leading me to believe it could be a chassis ground in the dash/console. Anyone know where these are? (the grounds that is, I can find the dash and console.... :dance:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
So loose ground is the ticket? Some other notes about my radio issue: I've found sometimes adjusting the headlights changes through the radio presets, but not all of the time. I have had it from putting the headlights into the full-on high beam position and back to normal, and also pulling the lever back to have the high beams temporarily go on. It is just baffling that something for the headlights affects the radio.

Last weekend I took apart the dash and pulled the radio out for inspection (even down to where I had the board exposed.) Nothing out of the ordinary was found. We cleaned all of the connections to ensure everything was making good contact - radio to the front circuit board and the plugs going into the back of the radio. But the issue still persists.

One interesting thing I have discovered is that if the radio is off because of this loss of power problem or whatever it is, there is a 50/50 chance that if I bang directly above it on the dash with my hand that it will pop and come back on. It usually only works once per time the problem occurs, but there is def. a correlation with the vibration from the strike and the radio working. I tried it several times so it is not just turning on by coincidence when I hit. Unfortunately, the vibration can be felt from the point of impact to the left side of the dash air vents by the door, and also anywhere on the steering wheel. so it is a large area of wiring to cover. And I am really not interested in messing with anything in the steering column.

Any advice on other locations for the grounds? I have the Haynes manual for the car which is a big help with the wiring diagrams, it just doesnt give exact locations where to check for grounds.

Debug to continue...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update:
I bought an OEM radio off of eBay for the car. Got the face plate model from the front and the model number on the radio itself and got the exact match. Installed it three days ago and so far it has worked without error. Should the problem continued it would have acted up within minutes. For 50 bucks this seems to have fixed my problem. This is awesome news compared to it being a problem with the steering controls or there being a wire rubbed through some here in the car. I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes, but hopefully it keeps working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a fix for this. It's a simple repair if you know how to solder circuit boards and doesn't involve the radio itself. The difficulty comes in removing the section of the dash that holds the radio and and control assembly. It's about a two-hour job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The stereo changes its input by itself, like from Fm to Am to AUX to CD and then back and forth, all by itself its weird, does it when im standing still does it when i drive, when i turn the wheel and then i can go days without it happening, i hate it lol
I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my 2008 Civic EX. Stock stereo, no changes or after market components. First the lights only worked intermittently, and now it randomly switches between inputs (radio, CD, Aux), as well as between pre-set radio stations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This issues is a common thing in 8th civics. It's the head unit. Girlfriends 06 did this for some time, then finally shut down, not longer turns on. If it does, sounds like the car is possessed. Friend's car 07 did the same thing. Sister in law's 06 did the same thing. My 08 si is now starting to dim.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts