8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of replacing the front components in our EX Coupe. I was wondering what people were doing with their aftermarket tweets. Are you placing them in the dash where the stocks are or in the door panels closer to to the woofers. Some aftermarket dome tweets may be tough or impossible to fit in the dash location. I find it interesting that the manufacturers continue to put them on the dash and bounce the sound off the glass. Nearly every aftermarket speaker manufacturer recommends placing the tweeters close to the woofers in the door panel. This worked well on my wifes Accord. That of course will mean cutting into the panel. I plan on playing with the tweet location with tape but wanted to see what others have found. While the stock speakers are good I know that the aftermarkets have a better frequency response and range. I am looking to spend $150-$250 for the components. Something from MB Quart, Infinity or JL Audio.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have tried to fit 1" tweeters in the stock locations the driver side fit, and the passenger one didn't.

I cut out the stock tweeter covers and placed in my new tweeters flush mount and they were too big on the passenger side and hit the carpeting.

They also sounded very bad bouncing off the glass. They didn't blend well at all with my door speakers.

I will probably try the doors next.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does anyone knows if it's possible to install regular 6.5" speakers in the front and not component kits, leaving the stock tweeters in there?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Don't see why you couldn't. You would just be getting more tweeters and the imaging would be off since the stock tweeter would be a different material and brand than the new one.

I don't have my FG2 yet since it's on order but if the stock fronts are 6.5" then yeah.

I'm gonna be running a 3-way front stage eventually. :)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
aussiebuddha said:
would it be easy to disconnect the stock tweeters and have no imaging
just a 3 way front speaker?

would that be ok?
You can disconnect the tweeter wires if you want. Everyone's ears are different so whatever sounds better to you. What coaxials are you looking at jw?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
best is to have 6.5 in the doors and mount the tweets on the doors as well, up top on the opposite side of your side mirrors. the black cover should snap off and you can run the wire through that.. seems to work good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was looking at some pioneer speakers.
I wanted to get alpine, since i always like them, but there's not much alpine in australia.

The other thing I found is there are not many 6 1/2 " speakers here.
I can get waaay more options and better prices on 6"

Would i be able to fit 6" instead of 6 1/2" ?

the idea of the tweeter on the mirror cover sounds very good. is there any heavy moding involved in that?

By the way.
the "component kits Speaker + separate tweeter seem to have an external filter.

does the stock component system have a filter? or i can just unplug the tweeters and it should be fine?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
aussiebuddha said:
I was looking at some pioneer speakers.
I wanted to get alpine, since i always like them, but there's not much alpine in australia.

The other thing I found is there are not many 6 1/2 " speakers here.
I can get waaay more options and better prices on 6"

Would i be able to fit 6" instead of 6 1/2" ?

the idea of the tweeter on the mirror cover sounds very good. is there any heavy moding involved in that?

By the way.
the "component kits Speaker + separate tweeter seem to have an external filter.

does the stock component system have a filter? or i can just unplug the tweeters and it should be fine?

Thanks!!
no, two screws will hold it fine.. then drill a hole in the center to run the wire.. works good just make sure you test fit it with the door closed before mounting it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts