8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy/hard or possible is it to swap a stock EX sedan steering wheel with an SI one?

I love the 3 spoke look and the leather.

EX Sedan
5. 78501-SNA-N61ZA
9. 78540-SNA-A81ZA

Si Coupe

04. 78501-SVA-A41ZA
10. 78540-SVA-A01ZB

Those parts are the main difference etc. Found a website to buy the specific parts and screws. Also I really don't have experience on this stuff so the easier the better!

·
Registered
594 Posts
As long as you don't have a problem removing airbags and making sure that the steering wheel is perfectly straight when you remove it (eg: having a shop with a level floor to work in), it's really very easy. I swapped a EX Coupe steering wheel for the Si and it took about 45 minutes with me being extra careful. Good luck---

·
Registered
4 Posts
Swap Steering Wheel From 06 Civic Sedan LX to Si Model

I was looking to save money and not go with the leather wrapped and also because it tends to be harder to clean. I went with the non leather one looks just as good.

The air bag is universal works on both wheels and is easy to remove as long as you have the right tool to remove the star bolt. Two bolts one on each side, you will need to loan a steering wheel puller from a local auto parts store Autozone loans them for free but you need to pay a small deposit which you will get back once you return it.

I just disconnected the wired components first then pulled the whole wheel off, and make sure you start with a perfectly straight steering wheel and use the arrows as your guide. It does not take long but man it really makes a difference with the looks of the inside. I agree the three spoke rocks.

Here are the parts you will need to order if you want to still do this.

2006 Honda Civic Steering Wheel

Part# 78501-SVA-A02ZA (Bare Wheel Non Leather Wrapped) Price $94.80
Part# 78540-SVA-A01ZB (Steering Wheel Garnish Plate Silver) Price $39.01
Part# 78518-SVA-A01ZB (Steering Wheel Backplate) Price $37.64
Part# 78543-SVA-A01ZA (Lower Plate Garnish) Price $07.55
Part# 78541-SVA-A01ZA (Left Plate Garnish) Price $07.43
Part# 78542-SVA-A01ZA (Right Plate Garnish) Price $06.89
Part# 78512-SVA-A01ZB (Cap, Body Cover Silver) Price $12.54
Part# 78515-SVA-A01 (Cord Guide) Price $09.96
Part# 78520-SVA-A01 (Steering Damper) Price $15.82
Part# 90173-SVA-A02 (Washer/Screw Qty 4) Price $05.67
Part# 90178-SNA-N61 (Tapping Screw (4x18) Qty 6) Price $05.67

Total Price $242.98

Hope this helps you out, it is very easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Bad

I did not bother to look at the post date, and that's very funny it was 2.5 years ago, so I was a little late!!!

Just wanted to help a Honda Brother out!!

Thanks for the heads up..

JK

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts
Physically interchangeable sure, but are the plugs the same as the "two spoke" steering wheel with the same functions?? (cruise/audio/voicenav) ???

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wow, super old thread. Pretty easy swap. The connector is definately the same. Can't say I'm 100% sure about the controls fitment from one bezel to another it the pinning in from one connector to another.

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to do it with a 3rd gen CR-V steering wheel?
Without modification, the 3rd gen CR-V EX-L will work in the 09-11 Civic EX-L, Si & Hybrid.

You can also make it work by swapping other parts in the DX, LX & EX. ...I'm using 09 TSX parts to accomplish what I wanted...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had asked a question about this back in '09.

The answer is definitely YES to the 2-spoke to 3-spoke conversion. I did this on my '07 EX sedan with a used SI 3-spoker (from an '06, which would have been a coupe). The plug was a direct swap - no need to move pins/wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New user found this site very helpful, I have 2008 honda si and im trying to by a wood grain steering wheel i know i need a quick realease and a hub adaptor but im wondering if there is certain things i need or something?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts