8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this issue? Ever since I picked up my Si, the steering wheel it a bit off center (it is a off to the left). I took it to the dealer and they did a 4 wheel alignment, but it is still the same. If I hold the wheel straight like it should be, I drift to the right.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Did you ask them to align the steering wheel? If you didn't ask them I could see your car being put on the rack, found to be in alignment, and handed back to you with out a thought to the steering wheel being off a little.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
thedamaja said:
Did you ask them to align the steering wheel? If you didn't ask them I could see your car being put on the rack, found to be in alignment, and handed back to you with out a thought to the steering wheel being off a little.
X2 have them check that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I brought it to them, I never mentioned the alignment, just that the steering wheel was off center. The service dept said the alignment was off a bit and did a 4 wheel alignment, but the wheel is still off center.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
jnd121 said:
Has anyone else had this issue? Ever since I picked up my Si, the steering wheel it a bit off center (it is a off to the left). I took it to the dealer and they did a 4 wheel alignment, but it is still the same. If I hold the wheel straight like it should be, I drift to the right.
I drive many different cars at work everyday and ALOT of them are like that. 3 of my family's cars are also like that. I made a thread about that earlier... but i decided to just live with it and not worry about it

·
Registered
375 Posts
my car pulls to the right ever so slightly i brought it to the dealer and they told me it was normal for a car like that, then i told the service manager that his tech that did the test drive was retarded and gave him the proff of how i knew. they did the alignment said that it was off by so much and then when i got it back it still pulled. i think it just fallows the curve of the road but idk

·
Banned
4 Posts
Remember to check the car on a flat road. Most roads have a crown (slanted to the right) to let the rain water drain. Also, some dealers make the alignment a tiny bit off deliberately to account for the 'crown'.

My car did the same thing when new but the dealer aligned it. But then still found the steering wheel 'off-center'. Turns out that the steering rack was off center and fixed it. Now it "tracks" straight and the steering wheel is straight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
my dealer told me that it is a safety feature

it pulls to the right when the wheel has not been stimulated for 5 seconds

it should be straight for 5 seconds and then it should pull to the right

i dont know if its BS but others have heard same from their dealers

·
Registered
156 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and tell them the steering wheel is still off center. :SHOCKED:

To do it right, they will need to do a realignment. This way the wheels will be straight.

They should have a steerring post that fits on the steering wheel and contacts the seat to position it while they adjust the steering rod under the car. During this procedure,
the car will be on the alignment machine.

Mine was off 1/4 of an inch, and I had it fixed.

Its perfect now :vtec:

augydog :coffee:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
They just don't want to mess with pulling the steering wheel, airbag etc and aligning the steering gear. It's easier for them just to say it is normal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
mine is kinda off center too. if my steering wheel is completely straight i drift to the left a little. i'm not gonna take it back though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same problem..my car pulled to the left slightly. I was pissed because the damn SI is new. The problem was tire pressure, it was about 2 pounds off on one side. BTW i sent my girl to get the alignment done on my truck and they told her the safety issue thing. I was thinking it was bullshit because she was a female, but now that you mention it imma check it out.

·
Registered
631 Posts
How to tell

What you are describing sound like a steering wheel off position.

All cars have different turning radii, but here is how you check. When you look at it it should be almost level. Next, turn on your car and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and look at the wheel.
Now turn it all the way to the right, look at the steering wheel, it should be a near mirror image of the previous. If its more than a little bit off, take it in.

The wheel is on a shaft with teeth like a gear. Because of this, it may not be possible to get it perfectly level. But if you are driving along, and level the wheel and the car veers (not drifts) into another lane, you need it adjusted.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
kj973 said:
I had the same problem..my car pulled to the left slightly. I was pissed because the damn SI is new. The problem was tire pressure, it was about 2 pounds off on one side. BTW i sent my girl to get the alignment done on my truck and they told her the safety issue thing. I was thinking it was bullshit because she was a female, but now that you mention it imma check it out.
2 lbs? are you serious? A 2 pound difference in one side should not make that huge of a difference. :vtec: :coffee:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I only notice it when I let go of the steering wheel and accelerate. Other then that, it wasn't really an issue.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I have had the same problem. I had the 4 wheel alignment done as the car was pulling to the left. My steering wheel is still ever so slightly skewed to the left, even after the alignment, but the car tracks pretty straight now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts