8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering wheel is pretty crooked. I went to the dealership and the mechanic did an alignment with a computerized alignment system. I generally trust this particular mechanic. I picked up my car and now the steering wheel is crooked more so than before, but the other direction. It's actually worse.

I took it to another wheel/tire place and they checked it out. They said the alignment on the tires are all within specs.

Is there another possible reason that my steering wheel is crooked when driving straight on a flat/level road?

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
jjohan35 said:
My steering wheel is pretty crooked. I went to the dealership and the mechanic did an alignment with a computerized alignment system. I generally trust this particular mechanic. I picked up my car and now the steering wheel is crooked more so than before, but the other direction. It's actually worse.

I took it to another wheel/tire place and they checked it out. They said the alignment on the tires are all within specs.

Is there another possible reason that my steering wheel is crooked when driving straight on a flat/level road?
It probably means that your wheel is off-centre on the steering column (i.e. nothing is wrong with your alignment). I'm not sure how exactly how to change that, but to get the wheel off, you have to remove the airbag, then unbolt the wheel. I wouldn't think it would be too complicated, but then again, you probably don't want to screw around with your airbag. Your best bet is to take it back to the dealer and make them redo it.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
actually my rsx was like that...
my sister got an alighnment and everything and it was still like that
then she saw that it wasnt just the steering wheel it was the whole thing that held the wheel down
it was probably made like that during production if so then theres no way to fix that problem

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
when u go to get your alignment tell the technician to center it for you especially if you trust him and done work with him a lot it shouldnt be too much more work for him.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I just spent the whole day driving. The car drifts to the right no matter what I do. What's strange is that before the alignment, the car was drifting to the left. Is the mechanic incompetent? He used some expensive computer system to do the alignment so I don't know?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
the roads are crowned slightly to the right to allow for water run off, so it will pull a little. try to find a freeway with a median get on the far left lane it should pull a little to the left now, if the road is crowned to run drain off to the sides and median of the road.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
i dont know if you live in canada?, the roads in canada are crowned, meaning that they all crest outward to allow for drainage, i had my dealer compensate for it clightly so that on the highway its straight and on the city its slightly crooked, my alighnment is perfect but itsunavodable, the civics steering is sensitive and the slightest movement can cause you to go jolting into the ditch unlike other cars*cough* ANY DOMESTIC */cough*

i wouldnt worry about it too much... you can do it yourself, drive down your street and make sure that the car is going straight(wheel crooked) then stop dissconect the battery, then undo the 3-4 screws holding the airbar from the back(phillips #2) pull the bag off then undo the steering wheel nut(26mm i think) pull off the wheel turn and re-atatch...

done..., or have honda do it. they can do it this way or compensate by turning bolth ball joins off your steering rack...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was originally drifting to the left (for 3 months since brand new) until I took it to the dealership earlier this week. After they did alignment, the car is drifting to the right.

I drove in the middle of the road in my neighborhood. The car continues to drift to the right regardless of direction I drove on the same road. I'm bringing it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Glad to hear it worked for you...My sedan steering wheel was crooked to and pulling to the right...took it for a 4 wheel alignment, sure enough...the left front was 3/32" out...I have had it a year and never had it aligned...steering wheel is straight now...Gotta love a $35 4-wheel alignment...

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey i have d same thing happening to my car...my car keeps turning to the right...i lowered it, got rims, and did alingment and everything.but still slightly turns to the right..i trust my mechanic, but the problem is still there, should i just take it to the dealership?

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
To anyone who's wheel is crooked and they just had an alignment. It's the tech who did it. Bring it back untill it's level. I do this for a living and unless the machines calibration is off, the tech is at fault.

And NEVER remove the steering wheel to level it. The steering rack only travels a certain distance from left to right. If you remove the wheel to center it the wheels will turn more in one direction than the other because the rack is already off center in one direction. For example if the wheel is off center to the left and you and you remove it you will not get the same amount of travel on the rack when turning right. Your car will not turn as sharp to the right. The turning radius will increase. and the racks valveing will be off and it will cause unnecessary wear on the whole hydraulic system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts