8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start to drive in the morning, the first time I turn my wheel leaving the parking space, I get a dull pop/binding sound once as I begin ti turn the steering wheel.

Then throughout the drive, at low speeds while maneuvering, and particularly if the brakes are applied, these low pop or binding sounds happen intermittently while turning the steering wheel.

I can sort of "feel" them through the steering column and get the impression they are occuring at some point down the steering column, perhaps where it meets the rack & pinion connection?

This has been increasingly noticeable for the past couple months, getting a bit more pronounced as time goes on.

Anyone had symptoms like this or trouble-shot this before?

It's a 2006 EX Civic Sedan. Has about 46k on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm. it's definitely strange. i guess i will make an appointment for the dealer to check it out at some point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 2 door, 19K, same issue. The dealership David McDavid says the steering assembly was installed incorrectly due to the miscalculation of the frame position on the assembly line. I am told it is under warranty. I had my tires rotated 5 days ago and have a terrible vibration now and am in need of a front end alignment?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Definitely the CV Joints -> I got both of them replaced under "Limited Powertrain Warranty". You have to get it done now before you're out of Warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first start to drive in the morning, the first time I turn my wheel leaving the parking space, I get a dull pop/binding sound once as I begin ti turn the steering wheel.

Then throughout the drive, at low speeds while maneuvering, and particularly if the brakes are applied, these low pop or binding sounds happen intermittently while turning the steering wheel.

I can sort of "feel" them through the steering column and get the impression they are occuring at some point down the steering column, perhaps where it meets the rack & pinion connection?

This has been increasingly noticeable for the past couple months, getting a bit more pronounced as time goes on.

Anyone had symptoms like this or trouble-shot this before?

It's a 2006 EX Civic Sedan. Has about 46k on it.
I have the same problem but can't figure it out, I have replaced everything I could think of

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem but can't figure it out, I have replaced everything I could think of

I had this same issue on my 09 civic si. Clunking whenever pulling out of a parking spot, turning at slow speeds. Tightening the bolts on the steering rack fixed. Check out the tsb and see if your car's Vin falls within the range.

·
Registered
783 Posts

I had this same issue on my 09 civic si. Clunking whenever pulling out of a parking spot, turning at slow speeds. Tightening the bolts on the steering rack fixed. Check out the tsb and see if your car's Vin falls within the range.
I'm having clunking issues too on my 06 EX Sedan when turning full lock driving out of a parking spot and turns out my passenger CV Axle is shot and is leaving a greasy mess on my inside wheel. Both CV Axles are going in this Tuesday but I also found this issue with the steering rack pop that could be a problem too. Matter of fact, I might actually replace the steering rack bushings with Energy Suspension kit 16.10107G later on to see if I can get a tighter steering feel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts